General Discussion
 altering brackets? Fair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbarley

75 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  22:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed in most brackets the 1 played the lowest seed in the gold or whatever color top brackets was. I noticed where 2 teams from same program were to play each other but got switched to avoid that, I know team elite often has to face team elite teams why are those not changed ?

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  23:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
say it ain't so perfect game would never do that must be a mistake
Go to Top of Page

RoamingCF

77 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  08:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PG rules are very clear; no two teams from same org will play in 1st round of "the playoffs".
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  08:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a better one...well known tournament being held at a park that has a travel team. Said travel team known to trophy hunt. We get to park ready to play our pool games, when an hour before we were ready to play baseball the 'easy team' we were supposed to play was switched to said home travel team and we got their tougher pool play team they were supposed to play.

Our coach was a known laid back guy. He didn't protest, but I couldn't believe a director would do this or better yet, a travel coach would do this. A shame really because if those kids would have been challenged from the beginning they probably be a major team now.
Go to Top of Page

coolbeans

8 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  10:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You see this all the time at lots of tournaments. They don't want to see 1st round matchups of two teams that played each other during the Sat pool games. It's simply to get teams to play as many other teams as possible which makes for a better overall experience. That's why brackets might say #1 plays #7 or 8 and so on. If 1 and 8 were in the same pool and played on Sat, then they get 7 to start on Sunday. Is it fair? Everyone will have a different opinion. In theory, the 1 seed shouldn't have any problem with either the 7 or 8 but we all know that's not really reality with teams holding back pitching or simply getting a tough Sat draw.
Go to Top of Page

BaseballMom6

233 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  12:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always read the rules for the tournament. Some clearly indicate that you won't play a team from your park/program in the first round. After that all bets are off. Do you really want to spend money on a tournament to play a team that you could play any night of the week anyway? When Team Elite puts large numbers of it's teams into one tournament I'm not sure there is anyway around it.
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  13:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roaming this was not Perfect Game FYI Beans they did not play each other in first pool games

My feelings is if you enter the event you have entered the event and play who you play. Unless rules say otherwise.

It give a large program a better chance to win if you do not let them play each other. Its like doing 5 ncaa basketball pools and hoping 1 slips thru.

Edited by - jaguars18 on 04/23/2017 14:55:26
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  09:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the bracket change for the 14's at TC this weekend, where 2 GA Bombers teams were slated to play one another... So it was suppose to be 2 vs. 15, but instead it was 2 vs. 16 (and the 1-seed had the 15th seed after the swap). Either way, both the 1 and 2-seeds won their first round bracket games. No big deal (I don't think). And I couldn't see both Bombers teams WANTING to play one another (as mentioned previously)... Not really sure what the problem is.

I could see it, if it was blatant like a 7-seed swapped with a 10-seed or something, but 15/16 switching... That's not that big of a deal, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  16:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think its a bad thing to start doing..it could have trickle down ramifications or in this case it did not. I say if you are going to do that then put it in the rules. Just makes things seem a tad bias towards large programs.
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  17:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Do you really want to spend money on a tournament to play a team that you could play any night of the week anyway? "

Most of the time you play the same teams every week every year anyway. Why do people not play more weekday games especially in the summer. Could save people lots of money but who am I kidding would just make more money for the teams organizations I guess then. Side question what is the county doing with Shaw Park any Baseball being played this year over there.
Go to Top of Page

Tball

142 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  20:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you have more than 1 team in a tournament, you run the risk of playing them!! The only ones you should not play is any team in your pool. Pool play protected!
Go to Top of Page

BaseballMom6

233 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  20:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BREAMKING

"Do you really want to spend money on a tournament to play a team that you could play any night of the week anyway? "

Most of the time you play the same teams every week every year anyway. Why do people not play more weekday games especially in the summer. Could save people lots of money but who am I kidding would just make more money for the teams organizations I guess then. Side question what is the county doing with Shaw Park any Baseball being played this year over there.

I agree completely about playing DH's mid week in the summer.

I believe I saw FCA advertising that they were playing out of Shaw Park, but they don't play Sundays. I am surprised teams haven't jumped on that availability.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  10:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think directors need to clarify what the bracket matching rules are and what programs are exempt and which are not? IE is signature park or sandy plains same as bombers or TGBA?
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2017 :  14:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we had to play our own program today in TC..opening round
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000