General Discussion
 When an Academy fails you
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleDawg

91 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  10:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you do when an Academy fails you?

The program committed to development and to get your son ready for The Next Level. We bought it. They even made the comment, the moment you feel that you are paying more than you are getting, we failed as coaches.

Well, they've failed.

First off. The owner is the best motivator and coach I've ever been around. The problem is, he's not involved with most teams, other than the ones his kids are on or the higher aged major teams.

My son is a catcher and we fell in love with the training in the fall (direct from the owner) who promised this is how practices will be run. "All coaches will be required to submit practice plans in advance etc".... Here we are in late april and the "ex-minor leagues / college" coaches who run the team, are hitting grounders for an hour without any real situational instruction or position specific drills.

Promises, promises but in the end it's a money grab.

So disappointing

Bombernation

51 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  13:58:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDawg

The program committed to development and to get your son ready for The Next Level. We bought it. They even made the comment, the moment you feel that you are paying more than you are getting, we failed as coaches.

Well, they've failed.

First off. The owner is the best motivator and coach I've ever been around. The problem is, he's not involved with most teams, other than the ones his kids are on or the higher aged major teams.

My son is a catcher and we fell in love with the training in the fall (direct from the owner) who promised this is how practices will be run. "All coaches will be required to submit practice plans in advance etc".... Here we are in late april and the "ex-minor leagues / college" coaches who run the team, are hitting grounders for an hour without any real situational instruction or position specific drills.

So disappointing

Are you under the perception that the Academy failed because the coaching isn't getting your kid the reps and baseball IQ you were expecting? Does your son play for the upper team in his age group? Been through that before, left, and wound up in an academy that actually delivered what had been promised. I do hear complaints from parents on the lower teams, and I think it has to do with the level of coaching.
Go to Top of Page

Bombernation

51 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  14:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, they've failed.

So disappointing

Are you under the perception that the Academy failed because the coaching isn't getting your kid the reps and baseball IQ you were expecting? Does your son play for the upper team in his age group? Been through that before, left, and wound up in an academy that actually delivered what had been promised. I do hear complaints from parents on the lower teams, and I think it has to do with the level of coaching.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  14:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At some point you have to trust someone......that always risks getting burned. We have seen first and second hand of promises being made and not kept type of thing. No matter how much you research, there is always a chance of disappointment..........You thinking about bailing?
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  15:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to academy baseball revenue is king and most coaches are not really into it as they are young and sort of just ended up coaching not something they live and die for.

Also most concentrate on the TOP team as that is what the other teams are funding. Stick to smaller programs
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  22:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaguars18

welcome to academy baseball revenue is king and most coaches are not really into it as they are young and sort of just ended up coaching not something they live and die for.

Also most concentrate on the TOP team as that is what the other teams are funding. Stick to smaller programs

What do you mean smaller programs? Dad coaches? All the academies I know have paid coaches.

Is OP talking about a a newer academy that fired all of their coaches because parents were complaining?

Edited by - Bravemom on 04/28/2017 22:31:40
Go to Top of Page

RoamingCF

77 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2017 :  06:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son has played on top "academy" teams. For the most part, communication is below average (most young coaches aren't very equipped to deal with 12-14 family "expectations, which is not easy), development/coaching/instruction has been average to below average, and game management is below average. Outside of being on a top team, the experience is nothing noteworthy.

If it fits your budget, find 1-on-1 instructors for development, play with the most appropriate level team (& good families), and turn your back on the fallacy that the academy guys can care equally about everyone in their program.

Edited by - RoamingCF on 04/29/2017 09:08:53
Go to Top of Page

LittleDawg

91 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2017 :  20:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@bombernation - It definitely has to do with the coaching.. It's just not a priority to give this team the same level of instruction the other teams get. They are positive guys but are in over their heads.

@bfiendly - We are not thinking of bailing. We've already lost 2 players for the above reasons and we won't leave. It's not fair to the rest of the team so we'll stick it out. The team only has 1-2 tourneys left so we'll wrap up early for a change and start the process all over again.
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2017 :  14:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bravemom there are plenty of non dad coached teams with good teams some may only have 1 team and some may have 2 or 1 at 2 different age groups but not every place takes every kid who can walk and pay.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  07:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found there are pros and cons. No doubt the bigger academies do not focus on much beyond the top teams, however those instructors are usually available for private instruction which is far more effective as far as pitching, hitting, catching imo. Not included in the already higher price of having paid coaches to start with, however, which is frustrating for sure. Often times I think the young pros take these teams but don't factor in a major part of coaching...the parents and all their varying expectations...and are ill equipped and unprepared to handle that. They need to make the boundaries clear from day 1. The pros of paid coaching I think are young, fun guys who the kids can relate to and who can act as great role models, inspire the kids to work hard, and hopefully provide a more unbiased appraisal of your son's strengths and weaknesses. But I agree that just because a guy pitched in the minors (or even the bigs) that doesn't necessarily mean he has vast knowledge about say, catching. But I guees there is no perfect scenario, just have to find the best overall fit. If you were sold that he would have the same level of instruction as with the owner that stinks, but if you were pleased with that instruction maybe keep up private lessons with that guy, no matter where you end up.
Go to Top of Page

ABC_Baseball

90 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  09:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I have experienced and seen, most of the academies are going to focus on their top teams. If your kid is one of those top players, he will get some attention once he has been identified. Just because you play for a big academy does not mean you are going to get the best training. Like I said before, the guys that know the game/techniques are typically coaching the top team on the field and working with other teams that are in the top tier.

I think as a parent you have to be pro active and spend money. Most of the time the guys that have the knowledge are available for lessons. You have to go out and spend the money outside of your team fees to get time to help your kid develop. That is just the way it is. It's like everything else, "you get what you pay for" or "you have to pay to play," choose your cliche. A lot of times teams are just coached by guys that may have played on some level (can be a dad) but they are not teaching said academy way.
Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

211 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  17:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When an academy fails you.......................its just the normal everyday intended business model. Sell a dream, collect, next!
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2017 :  08:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renegade44

When an academy fails you.......................its just the normal everyday intended business model. Sell a dream, collect, next!

Whatcha really thinking Renegade

Academy or not, what is included in the package, the whole package is what counts. Are you getting your moneys worth? Promises can and will be broken by both.
If you are getting your moneys worth great, if not, do whats best for you and yours.........

BTW Littledawg-I am please with your commitment but it sounds like no one would blame you if you joined the walking crowd either
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  08:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

@bombernation - It definitely has to do with the coaching.. It's just not a priority to give this team the same level of instruction the other teams get. They are positive guys but are in over their heads.

@bfiendly - We are not thinking of bailing. We've already lost 2 players for the above reasons and we won't leave. It's not fair to the rest of the team so we'll stick it out. The team only has 1-2 tourneys left so we'll wrap up early for a change and start the process all over again.

Since you only have two tourneys left I will ASSUME this is 14u or below. The "academies" don't really count or come into play until 15u and above. I've said on here several times that if your kid is on the 9u Astros it has no bearing if he will be on the 16u Astros and the reason is because 14u and under just doesn't count.

Academies are all about the contacts to colleges, playing in the right tourneys to get your kid seen so he can get to college baseball...but before 15u it may as well be all dad coached stuff. Up until 14u you can have drop 10 bats, you can have smaller fields, you can have growth spurt issues so ultimately it isn't "real" baseball.

Until it's "real" baseball I don't expect an academy to do anything for a kid. They can up-sell you to a professional coach at 9u and parents will gladly pay it but I don't see the point.
Go to Top of Page

FootballBat02

21 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  08:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said CaCO3Girl, find your son or daughter a decent team with good coaches that know the game. Spend your money for private instruction.

Remember it is about the money first!

Edited by - FootballBat02 on 05/08/2017 08:57:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000