New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  08:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There have been some MAJOR surprises this year. Can anyone remember a more insane year? Top teams predicted to win it all get knocked out in the first round...unreal!

http://www.ghsa.net/2016-2017-championship-brackets

For 7A I'm going with N. Gwinnett, although that final 4 is just full of "huh, how did they get there?", proving baseball really is any given day!

6A I'm going with Pope, but I have to say, where did River Ridge come from? It will be interesting to see who emerges from the River Ridge Alexander battle.

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  10:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't sleep on River Ridge. They came out of arguably one of the deepest regions in 6A. River Ridge was the 2 seed in their region (6-AAAAAA, Allatoona, River Ridge, Dalton, Harrison). Three teams from that region reached the Elite 8. The only team that didn't advance that far was the 4 seed (Harrison) who lost in the first round to Winder Barrow who was the #1 ranked 6A team in the state. Harrison lost game one in extras then dropped the second game (first game loss in extras took the wind out of their sails).

Dalton got eliminated last night by Pope in the if game. Allatoona was eliminated by Johns Creek, losing 1-0 and 6-5, both tight games. River Ridge has a chance to reach the semi's with a win tonight after splitting their DH last night.

When you get to playoffs in GA, two really good pitchers and a serviceable third can carry you deep. River Ridge has that.

Edited by - in_the_know on 05/12/2017 10:25:29
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  11:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by in_the_know

Don't sleep on River Ridge. They came out of arguably one of the deepest regions in 6A. River Ridge was the 2 seed in their region (6-AAAAAA, Allatoona, River Ridge, Dalton, Harrison). Three teams from that region reached the Elite 8. The only team that didn't advance that far was the 4 seed (Harrison) who lost in the first round to Winder Barrow who was the #1 ranked 6A team in the state. Harrison lost game one in extras then dropped the second game (first game loss in extras took the wind out of their sails).

Dalton got eliminated last night by Pope in the if game. Allatoona was eliminated by Johns Creek, losing 1-0 and 6-5, both tight games. River Ridge has a chance to reach the semi's with a win tonight after splitting their DH last night.

When you get to playoffs in GA, two really good pitchers and a serviceable third can carry you deep. River Ridge has that.

Very true, I think that is what is happening in 7A as well.

We can talk about awesome hitting, great pop-times, and getting amazing jumps on the ball all day long but it's still the pitchers that account for around 50% of the scholarships given.
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  12:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That region with toona, riverridge, Harrison, Dalton was very tough. Some of the other teams beat teams from other region that made playoffs and would not have sniffed them in this region. When you get deep every little thing matters. You need someone to step and do something unexpected to win it all. River Ridge is a school that is only gonna get better. Lots of new houses up that way and school growing like crazy. They will be in the big school region pretty fast I think.
Go to Top of Page

agent21

97 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  14:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree -- lots of surprises. My how things change every few years -- Lambert, Roswell and Milton used to be Final 4 teams without a doubt. All Forsyth schools used to be in the running too. Are population shifts or coaching changes factors?
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  15:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BREAMKING

That region with toona, riverridge, Harrison, Dalton was very tough. Some of the other teams beat teams from other region that made playoffs and would not have sniffed them in this region. When you get deep every little thing matters. You need someone to step and do something unexpected to win it all. River Ridge is a school that is only gonna get better. Lots of new houses up that way and school growing like crazy. They will be in the big school region pretty fast I think.

Woodstock and Etowah are both 7A and already across the street from each other, now River Ridge is growing that big too? Do people in Woodstock not know what causes this? The town really isn't that big!
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  16:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is population shift. Late 80's to 2000 if you just got off sandy plains road you could be in finals with a good shot at winning it. I think back to that time that area was booming with new people moving in. Now all 15-20 years later the growth has moved to east of Woodstock towards roswell. Cherokee will have to build more schools moving forward which will hurt every program for a couple of years but I see them improving for next 10-15 years because of the area. Of course coaching always is huge and a difference maker. I feel the coaching is more you need a good game coach than a practice coach. The training players get in the area year round is good and a good third base aka head coach can make a huge difference. Pulling for all the local teams.
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  16:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Woodstock's pitching they are a very tough out.
Go to Top of Page

brball

614 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  22:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shut Out

North Gwinnett hitting might be to much... we shall see! I know I'm posting this after the fact, but who won tonight? Can't find anywhere
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  08:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brball

quote:

North Gwinnett hitting might be to much... we shall see! I know I'm posting this after the fact, but who won tonight? Can't find anywhere

Fourth round begins today. If you have twitter, follow Georgia Dugout Preview Magazine (@06BaseballMag). Tim Morse (Editor) updates all game results during playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  09:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Fourth round begins today. If you have twitter, follow Georgia Dugout Preview Magazine (@06BaseballMag). Tim Morse (Editor) updates all game results during playoffs.

Fourth round better known as SEMI-FINALS :) Good luck to all!
Go to Top of Page

brball

614 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  23:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not on twitter, but appreciate that. Found it and my whole week is messed up... I knew it was today, but woke up thinking today was Thursday until I saw your response. Either way, looks like Gwinnett's bats woke up in the 2nd game. River Ridge run over. Pope & Blessed Trinity sweeps and Loganville v Stars Mill split. Looking forward to the finish
Go to Top of Page

brball

614 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  23:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not on twitter, but appreciate that. Found it and my whole week is messed up... I knew it was today, but woke up thinking today was Thursday until I saw your response. Either way, looks like Gwinnett's bats woke up in the 2nd game. River Ridge run over. Pope & Blessed Trinity sweeps and Loganville v Stars Mill split. Looking forward to the finish

Forgot one, Mill Creek v Etowah split
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  08:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first Etowah game went 11 innings, ending with a 1-0 victory for Mill Creek. Etowah's starter went 9 innings and only threw 91 pitches. UNREAL! Good on Mill Creek to get it to the third game.

The Woodstock game one was also unreal, N. Gwinnett very nearly came back in the final inning, but Woodstock won 3-2 with their LHP throwing 90+, he did an outstanding job. Then N. Gwinnett demolished Woodstock in the second game with 16 hits against their 6 different pitchers, while they kept the same pitcher all game, and he only threw 85 pitches!

I'm going with N. Gwinnett and Etowah for the final.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  10:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
River Ridge was up 6 to 1 in the 6th inning in the first game, then Pope tied it and won it on a walk-off bases loaded walk in the 7th inning. It's hard to come back from that, so the 2nd game score would be somewhat expected.
Go to Top of Page

baseballready

188 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  12:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bama21

River Ridge was up 6 to 1 in the 6th inning in the first game, then Pope tied it and won it on a walk-off bases loaded walk in the 7th inning. It's hard to come back from that, so the 2nd game score would be somewhat expected.

That and the grand slam by Pope in first inning of game 2
Go to Top of Page

brball

614 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  21:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Woodstock pitching prevails, congrats to those young men! And N Gwinnett on a heck of a year! Guess I'm gonna have to go catch some of the state ship series and see what this pitching is about... should be fun
Go to Top of Page

jakesdad

118 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  23:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Etowah vs Woodstock in 7-A Final. Two schools 2.2 miles apart.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  07:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Woodstock pitching prevails, congrats to those young men! And N Gwinnett on a heck of a year! Guess I'm gonna have to go catch some of the state ship series and see what this pitching is about... should be fun

I watched it on gamechanger....what a game! All four runs of woodstocks was by one junior hitting two homeruns, one a solo shot and one with 2 runners on. Most of the game was pitched by a 10th grader and a senior came in to close.

N. Gwinnett put up a heck of a fight, those boys should be very proud, but it just wasn't their night. Their team is young though, 3 ninth graders, they will be back next year.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  08:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emotional highs and lows in sports probably dictate the outcome of games as much as talent.
Go to Top of Page

bballguy15

63 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  08:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jakesdad

And what is funny, they will probably have to travel to Rome or somewhere like that to play the Championship when they could just play a home and home series. First game at 1pm at Etowah. Second game at 5:55pm at Woodstock. Third game decided by a coin flip if needed.
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  13:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neutral site championship series in baseball is an utter failure. With a best of 3 game series it is too much of an expense on the teams & families. Not too mention there will be little to no fans other than the players families.
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  14:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Public service announcement:

With bases loaded if you are issued a free pass please make sure to touch the base.

Signed:
John's Creek Counseling Office
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  14:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballguy15

quote:
Originally posted by jakesdad

And what is funny, they will probably have to travel to Rome or somewhere like that to play the Championship when they could just play a home and home series. First game at 1pm at Etowah. Second game at 5:55pm at Woodstock. Third game decided by a coin flip if needed.

Even if it weren't at a neutral site (and they are scheduled for Rome), what you describe above wouldn't be used. In this case, Woodstock was a three seed out of their region and Etowah was the four seed, so by virtue of the seedings, Woodstock would host all three games on their field. Woodstock would be home team game 1, Etowah home team game 2 and a coin toss would determine who would be home team if a third game were needed.

So what is actually playing out is as above, except at Rome. Woodstock home G1, Etowah home G2 and if needed will toss a coin.
Go to Top of Page

CenterField

138 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  16:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Public service announcement:

With bases loaded if you are issued a free pass please make sure to touch the base.

Signed:
John's Creek Counseling Office

I heard a different PSA:

All teams be advised that when you are playing Lee County at their place and have a chance to win in the last inning, a "phantom" missed-base call will occur.

Signed:
Northview HS
&
Johns Creek HS

Edited by - CenterField on 05/19/2017 18:40:30
Go to Top of Page

baldy87

118 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  10:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how anyone isn't in jail after that hose-job from Lee County. There are lots of rules on the books that just don't get followed. Why? Because it's more trouble to enforce them than it is to just let it slide when it it's a dumb rule and it doesn't mean anything. Case in point - one foot in the batter's box at all times. It's a dumb rule, and it's never/rarely enforced. Why? - because it's more trouble than it's worth to actually enforce it.

Even more egregious - GHSA pitch count rules this year - they're NOT being followed. It's NOT a dumb rule, but I guess coaches/organizations want to feel good about themselves, publish these wonderful pitch count rules to pretend they're trying to protect arms, and then not put any actual consequences behind the rule and throw the heck out of the kids anyway. We have guys coming back to close a game the next day, when they just threw 100 pitches the day before. Nothing is being done, and as far as I can tell, the only enforcement is a $250 fine for the first offense. I guess coaches are thinking, "it's either throw the kid and pay the fine, or lose the game. I'll pay the fine."

Umps may have gotten the letter of the law correct in that ruling in Lee County (although, John's Creek says they actually have a still-shot from a video of the runner-in-question touching third base - which makes the potential MOTIVE for making a call like that, in a game like that, even more nefarious. And of course - the actual review board that's SUPPOSED to do something about it WILL NOT EVEN CONSIDER video evidence. ???????). But it's certainly more trouble than it's worth to actually MAKE that call in that situation. Sometimes, common sense should prevail, but that's seldom the case with umpires. They somehow manage to get worse every year - and folks, it's not like it's a really high bar of competency that needs to be achieved. Stop calling pitches in the dirt a strike - stop calling pitches 6-8 inches in the other batter's box a strike - and stop making bone-headed, obscure calls like the Lee County call in a state-elimination game. How hard is that?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-20 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000