Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 What if parents were more travel baseball savvy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ECB.Phenoms

20 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2017 :  13:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For example: Recruiting. Why is it that a large percentage of parents search for the word "Major" or "Elite" in tryout postings? What if parents understood that the vast majority of teams that advertise as high AAA or Major, are in many cases low AAA teams? Or in some cases higher AA teams? Some coaches are kidding themselves with that perception, but I think many list MAJOR team b/c they feel like they are forced to in order to gain attention.

Read through many of these tryout postings- "Brand new Super Major team looking for 12 elite players". How many legitimate Major startup teams are still Major teams at the start of the Spring season? How many finish that year as a Major team? An extremely low percentage. Try to find a team that has good experienced coaches, that are somewhat stable, that have kept a core together, that are fair and that have a decent idea of how to improve the level of play of a player and a team. Parents and players may enjoy this more.

Sorry, all the posts of- "We are a brand new Elite team searching for only the best"- has me scratching my head. What if parents were a little more wise to travel ball recruiting ? When is the last time you played a very high level team that was just thrown together that year?

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2017 :  17:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree when kids are just getting started this can be misleading, but after a couple of years, everyone knows who the majors teams are, despite how they advertise themselves, based on the players on those teams, at least in your geographical area, and even statewide we all know based on their records who is legitimate.
Go to Top of Page

bballguy15

63 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  11:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In reality I think this just speaks to how broken Travel Baseball really is. Kids can no longer develop at the rec ball level because all of the talent has been drained to play on one of the 200+ travel teams in the Metro Atlanta area for one given age group.

Development should be first and fore most and closely followed by atmosphere and experience...wins and losses should be one of the last indicators of how good the coaches are, cause lets be honest...just cause a team went 52-6 doesn't mean the coach is any good. Plenty of teams are handed to coaches with top tier talent but the coach has no idea how to make those kids any better, so next year those kids wont be developing.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  18:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing is we were all clueless, and we all fell for some kind of elite/major/prime deal. Now that we are older we know more, but when our kids were younger we all thought "Well I won't fall for any of that"....and yet we do and we did.

Best advice I have is go with a place where you know a returning kid/family. Then you might get the real Scoop.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  22:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of teams are searching for the best. New or Old. You never see a team looking for players to develop. Coaches want polished players, like high school coaches want polished players. Show me a coach who only want players to develop and I show you a team full of misfits. A lot of these so called Major posting teams are over-reaching. Could it be they are trying to attract the best players or are they trying to win only? Different story in my area. Most of the kids that should be on Major teams have to play up cause there are very few Major teams (2) in the area. Fall ball starts up in 3 months, so last seasons record and class doesn't matter. Major last year, AA the next. I've seen it too many times.
Go to Top of Page

catmando

107 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  08:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a parent leave a good team to tryout for a Major team...hello the major team played sub 500 ball and never got in a gold bracket but said they were major. The only major thing about them was the price to play.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  11:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kind of depends on the definition of "development"....my son definitely is always wanting to be with a coach who can help him develop, meaning hopefully give him something new to help him improve on his weak areas, while polishing his strengths. Few in youth baseball have all the tools, including the majors players. But from what I have seen, so much has to do with the coaching, from recruiting the right mix of players, to using them correctly strategically, to inspiring them to give you their best. Respect is huge. Just having a roster of super talented players, a name, or a "pro" coach will not make a majors team. Kids with a decent mix of talent and fantastic coaching produce the best results imho.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000