New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  08:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friend of a friend heard a high school in Cherokee county, was charging a $600.00 non refundable fee to tryout for their high school baseball team.
I doubt this is true, has anyone heard this? I could see $600.00 for team dues once you make the team, but not $600 just to tryout.
Say it aint so joe.

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  18:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of the schools in the northern counties have you do fundraising before tryouts begin so there are more fundraising than if you wait until afterwards. It is also highly suggested, implied, however you want to view it that you join the booster club. The days of pay to play are upon us.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  08:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think you should have a pay a dime until you are given or earned a spot on a team. If you want to contribute later thats a different story. Anyone have anyone playing or trying out for Woodstock high?
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  09:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, but we - Centennial Varsity - play them in a scrimmage game on Feb. 19th.
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  09:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is forbidden under Ga High School Association rules for any player to be forced to pay any money to play any scholastic sports.

Schools withhold this information from the families for fear they would never get enough money to operate how they would like .

Collecting money for a tryout would be a serious violation of this GHSA rule.
Go to Top of Page

Scott0923

49 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  10:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure it's not as bad as what's being assumed on this forum. Coaches know what they can and can't do...when it comes to $ any mishandling of funds leads to firing...so i'm sure it's not what is being assumed on here.
Provide details then give opinions.
Scott
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  10:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured this much and told the friend his friend obviously didnt have his facts right.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  14:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coaches try to distance themselves from booster clubs but anyone who has a kid in school knows the following. Coaches are paid a nice bonus. Kids sell raffle tickets,pine straw, car wash, pizza packs and everything else. Parents are beaten into joining booster clubs and kids letters are based in part on fundraising.

I get at least 1 email a day from booster clubs demanding that i attend or buy something. Once you push back and let them know you can not be forced into it they then just figure your scum. Coaches do know what kids fundraise and which one's do not. Call it what you want but it is paying to be on the team.
Go to Top of Page

mikewells

45 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  21:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coachdan06

It is forbidden under Ga High School Association rules for any player to be forced to pay any money to play any scholastic sports.

Schools withhold this information from the families for fear they would never get enough money to operate how they would like .

Yo Dan ! mighty interesting but do you know it for a fact this is a RULE for Georgia Hi Schools ?!
Go to Top of Page

Sultan

57 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course schools require payment to tryout. May not be stated as such, but most folks are writing checks before Johnny ever steps on the field to tryout - pinestraw sales, raffle tickets, cases of water, cookie dough, etc. And a fair number of schools hold pre-tryout clinics the weekend before tryouts. They require a check, of course, and it's assumed kids who want to be considered for the team will be there. Don't have a problem paying my fair share, but it's wrong to take money from those who have no chance of making the team.
Go to Top of Page

ChinMusic

126 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sultan

Of course schools require payment to tryout. May not be stated as such, but most folks are writing checks before Johnny ever steps on the field to tryout - pinestraw sales, raffle tickets, cases of water, cookie dough, etc. And a fair number of schools hold pre-tryout clinics the weekend before tryouts. They require a check, of course, and it's assumed kids who want to be considered for the team will be there. Don't have a problem paying my fair share, but it's wrong to take money from those who have no chance of making the team.

Sad but true and it's a shame. Fundraising and fees should be covered by those athletes and families actually ON the team.
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  10:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That has been a rule through GHSA for far back as I can recall

quote:
Originally posted by mikewells

quote:
Originally posted by coachdan06

Yo Dan ! mighty interesting but do you know it for a fact this is a RULE for Georgia Hi Schools ?!

Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  16:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife is a coach, there is NO pay to play in georgia h.s. sports. I have often asked her why she doesnt limit kids participation on the team if they havent paid for their part of the participation fees assocatied with being on the team and to the kid, they have no recourse due to this rule. Noone else likes it, especially those carrying the weight of the budget disproportionallly, but some parents "take advantage" of the this aspect and figure it's their kid's right to play sports at public schools free of any monetary obligation...regardless of the negative stigma associated with being a deadbeat.

***DISCLAIMER*****...Some kids / families cannot afford any monetary committment and are sponsored due to their contribution to the team. Most of the time, this is communicated upfront and these measures are taken to keep a valuable asset for the program.
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  19:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you want to disclose what the booster club pays coaches and how many bales of pinestraw or coupon books it takes to do so. Some coaches i know are pulling in about 12-18k per season.
Go to Top of Page

ec1

40 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  20:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the no pay--but does that mean folks can't volunteer to help fund raise, work the concession, etc....
quote:
Originally posted by Critical Mass

My wife is a coach, there is NO pay to play in georgia h.s. sports. I have often asked her why she doesnt limit kids participation on the team if they havent paid for their part of the participation fees assocatied with being on the team and to the kid, they have no recourse due to this rule. Noone else likes it, especially those carrying the weight of the budget disproportionallly, but some parents "take advantage" of the this aspect and figure it's their kid's right to play sports at public schools free of any monetary obligation...regardless of the negative stigma associated with being a deadbeat.

***DISCLAIMER*****...Some kids / families cannot afford any monetary committment and are sponsored due to their contribution to the team. Most of the time, this is communicated upfront and these measures are taken to keep a valuable asset for the program.

Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  22:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaguars18

Do you want to disclose what the booster club pays coaches and how many bales of pinestraw or coupon books it takes to do so. Some coaches i know are pulling in about 12-18k per season.

So should they do it for free? These are guys with a wife and kid at home. They spend an extra 4 hours after school 5 days a week. Then there are the weekend games. Not to mention the extra headaches from the parents complaining about their kid not making the team or not getting the play time they should or how their pitch calling stinks or how they lost a game because of their strategy etc, etc, etc. The list can go on forever. To expect them to not get paid a reasonable amount of money is rediculous. I am sure not the whole amount you mentioned, jaguar, is paid by team fees and fundraising. A pretty good chunk of it is paid by the school. I'm sure they get extra pay from the school for coaching a team.
Go to Top of Page

Reality

9 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  10:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a shame that you actually have to pay to play for the public school system. for what we pay in taxes for the system their should be more than enough money for this sport. the coach should be paid by the school system for which he was hired for and not the burden of the parents when one can not afford it. it is the coaches choice that he coaches so why should the parents (booster club) have to pay all the extra money? ITS BY CHOICE HE COACHES...................

Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  13:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read that Coaches get paid a higher salary than their non-coach teaching peers by a significant percent, plus get an annual coaching stipend of about $6k. Then, they also don't have a full teaching work load. Some of the top football coaches make more than the Principal!

Sounds like a pretty sweet gig to me if you can get one. More power to them!

Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  13:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reality of it is that the tax dollars for the education system is more for books and teachers salaries than for sports activities.

Salaries are to pay for the Biology or History teacher (some cases they are the PE teacher) not a coach. The additional salary to cover the coaching responsibilities has to be generated from a different source. That is the only way to get a competent coaching staff.

Let's face it, it's not logical to think that a person with a family is going to sign up for all that additional work for free.

If you do choose to pick someone that is not getting additional compensation, you end up with a science teach coaching baseball that never even played in HS. Or worse, another HS hires your good coach away because they choose to offer additional monies to cover the coaches baseball work.

Biology class does not have the ability to generate revenue, while baseball (football, basketball, etc) does through concession sales and fundraising.

While I understand the argument that kids not making the team should not have to do as much fundraising as the ones making the team, there is still some expense created with them getting to come try out. Doing one initial fundraising is probably acceptable.

It's just "salt on a wound" if you do the fundraising and don't make the team. Especially if you know there are others that made the team and did not do as much fundraising.
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  14:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea most of them teach weightlifting where they sit around and watch kids bench all day. In most states the get a stipend from the state and if the booster club does pitch in its not in the upper 10k range but more like 3k. I think parents should volunteer but most places just put your name on the list and demand you show up.
Go to Top of Page

Flyer

19 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  18:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Gwinnett County high school coaches in all sports get stipends from the county to be a coach. Their regular salary is determined by the teachers pay scale and their education. You can find this info on the gwinnett county website. Believe the stipend paid to the head varsity baseball coach is not that great. It comes to about 4,000 a year.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  22:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just think it is sad that we are griping about coaches making a little extra when they provide a lot of extra development to the kids.

Honestly, the extra amount they make is insignificant to the amount many make out in the business world.

These people surely do it because the love it because none of them is getting rich off of what they are paid to coach baseball at the HS level.

It is just humerous to hear the complaints about these coaches getting some extra money for the extra hours they put in.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  08:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Critical Mass

but some parents "take advantage" of the this aspect and figure it's their kid's right to play sports at public schools free of any monetary obligation...regardless of the negative stigma associated with being a deadbeat.

Some people can't afford to pay for their kids to play sports, that is why alot of good atheletes are not even playing travel baseball and in a few years you might say where did this kid come from? He played rec ball and got decent coaching in high school so he passed alot of kids that have been playing travel baseball since they were little. The other side is what about parents paying huge amounts of money or volunteering for booster clubs and doing field work or stuff like that. Alot of the time those kids aren't good enough to take a spot on the team but if the parents pay the kid is on the team.

Go to Top of Page

LLH

98 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  08:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My complaint is the disbursement of tax dollars. We pay enough in Gwinnett county that used correctly could help fund sports programs. I know that when I was a kid if my parents had to pay there would have been no play. But we also had school teams in multiple sports from grades 7-12.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  09:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you have been a middle or high school Coach you should just keep quiet about the litte bit of extra money they make. I am sure that they are a few but it would very few that are in it for the money. You don't begin to realize the committment and sacrifices these Coaches make for your children and you should appreciate it and encourage them instead of criticizing them and running them down. What do we get out of labeling Coaches as a whole based on our opinion of a few.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  15:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alter-Ego:
I'm with you on the H.S. Coach pay issue. I'd be so happy if my son made the Freshman team, I wouldnt care less what he was making.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000