General Discussion
 Is agility training necessary?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

morrsco

55 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  08:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is strength and agility training worth the money? My son already runs cross-country and plays basketball every year. Wouldn't those other sports help him become a better overall athlete without the time or expense of attending agility training? The boy is 12 now. I assume the need for strength and agility work increases as he ages.

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  10:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say it depends on your player. If he's already agile not really necessary but might be helpful if this is an area where he struggles (speed and agility) as for strength..for a 12 year old, push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, squats, what else is there really? Unless he's one of those early bloomers, weights etc can do far more harm than good. Just imo!
Go to Top of Page

TaxiMom

149 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  14:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're not even considering it until there's pit hair.
Go to Top of Page

Ross

60 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  15:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it depends on his goal. If he wants to play high school, probably not. If he wants to play college or above, definitely.
Go to Top of Page

NF1974

62 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  16:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he is doing cross country and basketball then I would not waste money on strength and agility. He is already getting it. Depending on what position he will play, I would spend money on hitting, or pitching lessons.
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  16:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

I would say it depends on your player. If he's already agile not really necessary but might be helpful if this is an area where he struggles (speed and agility) as for strength..for a 12 year old, push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, squats, what else is there really? Unless he's one of those early bloomers, weights etc can do far more harm than good. Just imo!

Agree! You can also do some basketball classes or basketball fall and winter league and voila you have speed and agility.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  17:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have benefited from it greatly. We will continue to do so. But my kid isn't exactly running track either.
Go to Top of Page

BamaDad

188 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  08:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NF1974

If he is doing cross country and basketball then I would not waste money on strength and agility. He is already getting it. Depending on what position he will play, I would spend money on hitting, or pitching lessons.

I definitely agree with this. My son is on his middle school basketball team. They do many different speed and agility drills in practice every day to increase quickness. While being fast is good for some positions in baseball, being quick and explosive for short distances is important for all positions on the baseball field.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  08:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a believer in hitting or pitching lessons until the kid is older but I am a believer in speed and agility classes over summer and over winter at the very least. These kids bodies are changing daily. My son grew 12 inches in 13 months, without speed and agility classes he wouldn't have known his body nearly as well. Also, the training he received even when he was younger allowed him to understand how his body SHOULD move. When he was older and had the adult body he instinctively started moving it the way he had always been trained to move. It was a HUGE game changer for him.

There are places, like Rapid, that take into account a kids deficits as well. Just because a kid is in shape and can run a 5 minute mile doesn't mean his left side isn't weaker than his right...or that his shoulder has enough deceleration muscles in there to pitch effectively. I don't think you have to worry about these types of deficits until there is, as taximom put it, "pit hair", but a majority of the baseball injuries occur because of a muscle weakness. That weakness could be in one or both knees, ankles, hip flexor, shoulders....etc....but a muscle weakness when you are asking your body to do extraordinary things can be a real issue.
Go to Top of Page

nastycurve

244 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  13:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is necessary for every athlete and should include explosiveness as a facet of their training. Also be sure to train specific to the positions your so plays. Mine started training when he was in 8th grade and he worked on hitting, fielding, pitching and S/A. Throughout HS and travel he was a two way player - mainly 3b and pitcher but he is a P.O. in college as their offense is through the roof :-)

Anyway, I recommend outside training at a level that pushes your son and you are comfortable paying. All facets of his game need work, and speed and agility will improve everything.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000