General Discussion
 Thoughts on 12u playing up to 13u
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wilson Phillips

5 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  00:29:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son has played up a year on the same successful team since 6u (his 5u year). The team just moved up to 13u and the 60/90 field. He started last year on his middle school varsity on the big field as an 11 year old 6th grader and will likely start this year as well. 12u teams have shown interest in him and we have thought about letting him play 12u again since his age allows it. Especially because one of the interested teams is going to Cooperstown. Both 12u teams are well coached as well as is his old 13u. He's middle of the pack in 13u and is towards the top of 12u talent. 12u where we play still plays on 50/70 or 50/75 depending on park.

Basically, he will play big field in winter with school and possibly go back down to small for summer.

I was wondering if anyone else has made these decisions and what pros/cons are for each.

BamaDad

188 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  18:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the best situation for him is the one where he will get the most development. My son played up for a few years but it got to the point of whether he would get more development being in the bottom tier on the older team or the 1st or 2nd player on the age group team. We took the latter route and he has been pretty successful among his peers. However, it really depends on the physical and mental maturity of the child. If he is big enough and mature enough to thrive playing up, then continue to do so. You can still go to Cooperstown with a team whether you play with them during the season or not.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  07:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say play with his grade, if that means playing up then do that. I definitely would make sure he goes to Cooperstown one way or another. Can't get that back at 13. Big kid or not the jump from 50/70 to 60/90 is a big one even even for big 13 year olds.
Go to Top of Page

Marlin

109 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  09:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let him play with his age and be one of the best. Let him be top tier in his age group and all the fun and confidence it brings with it. Once HS starts he will be playing up til he’s a senior anyway.
BTW.- What is Middle school varsity? Lol
Go to Top of Page

Wilson Phillips

5 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  11:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His school is 6-8th grade. The 6th graders and most 7th graders play jv and mostly 8th graders play varsity. Kind of leaning to letting him be a kid and play another year of 12u. Just don't want it to hurt his development since his school plays on big field.
Go to Top of Page

Marlin

109 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  19:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s been a few years since my son was 13 but don’t they play 54/80 at 13u. Still we be smaller than his school field.

Edited by - Marlin on 11/05/2017 20:12:21
Go to Top of Page

Wilson Phillips

5 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  22:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some parks we travel to play the 80' bags but where we live most play 60/90 at 13u but don't require Bbcor. I personally think the field is a little too big for most 13u kids.
Go to Top of Page

brball

615 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  00:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go with the 12U team that can go to Cooperstown, duh! Don’t miss that opportunity, trust me. Next year, skip 13U field and go straight to 14U.... no big deal!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  08:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cooperstown should not be missed, and it is 100 times better if you have been with that team all year.

After Cooperstown my son jumped from 12u to 14u, he handled it just fine. In my opinion 13u is for the smaller kids who need more time to grow and gain strength. If your kid is swinging a BBCOR for middle school ball it makes no sense to go to 13u, unless you own stock in a drop 5 baseball bat company.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  08:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin

It’s been a few years since my son was 13 but don’t they play 54/80 at 13u. Still we be smaller than his school field.

Middle school teams that are comprised of 6th-8th graders. Ages ranging from 11 - 14. The fields are played on the 'smallest' size for the oldest possible age. Oldest possible? 14U. Smallest field for that age? 60/90. Now, I've seen "JV" teams for middle school (typically 6th/7th graders, 11-13U) playing on 54/80, but it's rare.
Go to Top of Page

cburney

25 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  08:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my older son was 13, his team was mostly 13yo 8th graders; so they actually played both. Being a 13U major team, they properly weren't quite ready for 14U major; however, they were able to play in a 14U league to supplement the 60/90 experience, along with their 13U 54/80 travel schedule. It was a little rocky at first, especially for the pitchers; but they got a hang of it and did well in both.

With that said, I wouldn't be overly concerned with doing both, since he's proven to be strong enough to handle 60/90. As Crazyforbball said, whatever you do, make sure he gets a chance to experience Cooperstown.
Go to Top of Page

NF1974

62 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  12:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in this same situation with my son about 9 years ago. Let him experience being a better player on the younger team and do not miss Cooperstown. After that, make the move to playing up. You will not regret the memories of Cooperstown.
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  16:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He needs to play with his grade...7th graders = 13U. If he wants to pick up and go to Cooperstown for the experience I am sure they would love to have him for that tourney. But I would keep him with his grade for the season.
Go to Top of Page

Gatravelbaseball

56 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  17:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like your son isn't at risk of "falling behind" if he doesn't play up in travel at 13U this year, so out goes one of the few solid arguments you could make for playing up again this year.

Cooperstown is possible whether he plays up or down -- so he could be a pick-up at the end of the season, or he could play the whole season and then go. As CaCO rightfully points out, Cooperstown is better with "your team," not just "some team." So the only other thing I'd factor in that isn't very clear from your posts is where are his friends playing -- 12U or 13U -- or both? He should be having FUN, whatever you choose, so I think you're leaning the right way. :)

Edited by - Gatravelbaseball on 11/06/2017 18:12:14
Go to Top of Page

Stink

35 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  20:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12u is a pretty awesome year. Of course you just had your 12u year at 11. I'd defiantly try to go to cooperstown. I also agree with staying with grade. Some folks that played up around me played 12 twice and then went right to 14u.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  07:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to point out, my son did go 12u to 14u but then he played 14u again. Him being in 10th grade and playing 15u has NOT hurt his recruitment. This play with your grade stuff is subjective to each person.

When I signed him up for baseball they asked "How old will he be on May 1st of this year?", I said 6, so he was 6u. They didn't ask what grade he was in. When he jumped to 14u he didn't like not knowing anyone, not playing with and against the same kids he has always played with and against.

Allowing him to play with his friends and the people he has always played with was the best call for him, and if I had to do it all over again I would do the same thing. As long as the kid is on a Major level 15u team that plays the PG events and the parents are taking the kid to college camps, you don't HAVE to play with your grade.

Wilson Phillips I do hope you noticed the trend of people saying not to miss Cooperstown.
Go to Top of Page

Wilson Phillips

5 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  10:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, he's decided to go to Cooperstown. I wish he could've gone with his team last year since he's played with them for so long but this other team seems to be a good group of kids.
Go to Top of Page

Wilson Phillips

5 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  11:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback guys. So he ended up doing 12u all summer and going to Cooperstown. Then in the fall played 14u. All worked out well. He ended up struggling a little at the plate on the small field using a drop 10 (was out front on a lot of pitches) so he picked up the heavier bats and did well. Cooperstown was an unforgettable experience for him and I’m glad he played with the 12u team all year so he knew everyone well for the trip. CDP was beautiful and the ball flies forever in that park. He also played on Doubleday Field after the tourney. Once Cooperstown was over he really didn’t want much more to do with the small field anymore though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000