Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 Why do coaches LIE in posts looking for players?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gatravelbaseball

56 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  23:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am tired of it. It's hard enough for folks to find the right fit for their kids, they don't need coaches completely misrepresenting themselves and their successes in their posts looking for players.

Unfortunately our girl CaCO had it right when she said this is definitely a buyer beware industry.

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  09:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would estimate 7 out of 10 kids think they are major but they aren't.

I would estimate 7 out of 10 teams think they are major but they aren't.

Because of these two things people are confused on what level the kids, and team, should be playing. This confusion is multiplied if the team does have a major level 16u team, but that doesn't mean their 14u team is, and parents don't realize that.

Who is the coach? Is he a true baseball guy, or did he play in high school 30 years ago?

Up until 14u I say play where it is fun, even if you are the best kid on a team. Maybe that team is cheap, or has a bunch of your friends, or is close enough that your parents can get you there. Below 14u there are many things that are irrelevant at 14u and up.

At 14u and up it's about connections. If you want to know who your coach has connections with, ASK HIM! Who is the head coach at Kennesaw? Who is the head coach at a local junior college? Who is the head coach at a local D2 and D3....a coach that is actually connected KNOWS these things and likely has their numbers in his phone.

However, if the goal isn't to play in college, revert back to the under 14u rules and just let the kids have fun!
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  10:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that most are just dads who have never coached a team outside of their own kid. Travel ball is full of fakes. These guys fall off quick. Playing HS ball means nothing. Everyone made the team 30 yrs ago in their 2k population podunk town. My advice is to investigate on your own and watch out for those who claim they are scouts. Baseball doesn't use Football or any other sport former player to scout. All of the scouts I know have played on an MLB team sometime in their life. CaCO is right. Until you play on a 60/90 no scout is looking at your kid. While everyone is so focused on winning for now at 13u and below, they seem to forget that many fall out of playing baseball as the field gets bigger and the snacks are limited.
Go to Top of Page

Gatravelbaseball

56 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  11:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points, CaCO and Big Pun. But I'm not worried about me. I've been around travel ball long enough and have been involved at the highest level, so I've seen plenty of good, bad and ugly. I know how to fact-check claims and see through the crap.

I'm posting this for all the people who are still figuring all that out -- unfortunately, probably the hard way.

I'm also posting it to CALL OUT some of the coaches/orgs who do this crap, even though I can't do so by name on this forum.

Go to Top of Page

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  15:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good post! A lot of good stuff mentioned above. Yeah, the reality of it is these coaches that are not the real deal love the game either way and want to be a part of it. That is why they hang around and misrepresent themselves and their teams. They would rather bend the truth and be around verses sitting on the couch doing nothing.

At 15U and above, the cream will rise to the top. No player or parent is going to ride anyone's shirt tail up the ladder to success. It will all work itself out in the end. The players with the most talent and the most dedicated will make it. In the process, some adult friendships will be tested, and some eliminated, but that is the way it goes.

The family and the player have to keep their eyes on the prize and each year put themselves in the best possible position which gives them the best chance of developing mentally and physically. All the while giving them the most exposure by the recruiters.

Edited by - SuperStar on 11/07/2017 16:15:30
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  15:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a Call Out form is needed. One that doesn't censor.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  19:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great points. And there are a good number of pro coached team's that call themselves major yet aren't as well as dad coached team's that are. It's very tricky to sift through. Add to that the constant name changes..the new Xyz team with the "solid major core" looking to add talent..get there and it's the ABC team that struggled at low AAA just a new name/field/organization tacked on the jersey. But yes, it seems 15 and up it really does self correct. Puberty mostly over, most dad coaches gone at the well known organizations and the tagalongs are finally left behind, or you have to be left behind with them. It is an exhausting process along the way however!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  07:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperStar

Good post! A lot of good stuff mentioned above. Yeah, the reality of it is these coaches that are not the real deal love the game either way and want to be a part of it. That is why they hang around and misrepresent themselves and their teams. They would rather bend the truth and be around verses sitting on the couch doing nothing.

At 15U and above, the cream will rise to the top. No player or parent is going to ride anyone's shirt tail up the ladder to success. It will all work itself out in the end. The players with the most talent and the most dedicated will make it. In the process, some adult friendships will be tested, and some eliminated, but that is the way it goes.

The family and the player have to keep their eyes on the prize and each year put themselves in the best possible position which gives them the best chance of developing mentally and physically. All the while giving them the most exposure by the recruiters.

There hasn't been a team in a long time where my son isn't playing with someone he played with before, be it coach or player.

I'm sure I'll see you around the field SuperStar! Hope your boy found somewhere he is happy.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  10:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's called "Coach Speak". And it's been around as long as travel ball. These 'coaches' will tell (re: sell) you anything you want to hear, to get you to buy. The onus is on the buyers. And sometimes, even the most seasoned fall for some sales pitches and get duped-- for a however short amount of time.
Go to Top of Page

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  19:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:
Originally posted by SuperStar

There hasn't been a team in a long time where my son isn't playing with someone he played with before, be it coach or player.

I'm sure I'll see you around the field SuperStar! Hope your boy found somewhere he is happy.

I'm sure we will. We found a good home this season and are looking forward to it. Nothing like meeting new people and seeing where we stand in the baseball world!
Go to Top of Page

15UBaseball

27 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  08:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Because of these two things people are confused on what level the kids, and team, should be playing. This confusion is multiplied if the team does have a major level 16u team, but that doesn't mean their 14u team is, and parents don't realize that.

Who is the coach? Is he a true baseball guy, or did he play in high school 30 years ago?

Up until 14u I say play where it is fun, even if you are the best kid on a team. Maybe that team is cheap, or has a bunch of your friends, or is close enough that your parents can get you there. Below 14u there are many things that are irrelevant at 14u and up.

At 14u and up it's about connections. If you want to know who your coach has connections with, ASK HIM! Who is the head coach at Kennesaw? Who is the head coach at a local junior college? Who is the head coach at a local D2 and D3....a coach that is actually connected KNOWS these things and likely has their numbers in his phone.

However, if the goal isn't to play in college, revert back to the under 14u rules and just let the kids have fun!

At 15U and up a AAA type team that competed with Major Teams will probably not be able to compete with real major teams any longer because of PG and the competition that comes in from out of state. If you can't make bracket at a PG then your team is probably not a major team. I agree with you 7 out of 10 Players think they are Major and are probably not, 7 out of 10 Teams think or say they are Major and they are not. 8 out of 10 Parents think their sons are Major and probably aren't. Now I have seen some kids playing below major level at 15U step up in the next few years and end up going to big schools so as others have said I think it all depends on some genetics, how much work they put in and dedication on improving.
Go to Top of Page

BamaDad

188 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  09:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you determine if you son in "major" material so that you aren't one of those "8 of 10" parents?
quote:
Originally posted by 15UBaseball

quote:

At 15U and up a AAA type team that competed with Major Teams will probably not be able to compete with real major teams any longer because of PG and the competition that comes in from out of state. If you can't make bracket at a PG then your team is probably not a major team. I agree with you 7 out of 10 Players think they are Major and are probably not, 7 out of 10 Teams think or say they are Major and they are not. 8 out of 10 Parents think their sons are Major and probably aren't. Now I have seen some kids playing below major level at 15U step up in the next few years and end up going to big schools so as others have said I think it all depends on some genetics, how much work they put in and dedication on improving.

Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  10:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things change so much every year. A major team this year, may not be a major team next year and so on. Players change too. The stud at 10u may not be a stud at 11u. Add in puberty and other body changes factor in. Coaches looking for Major players may be looking to improve the teams winning capabilities, although under false pretenses. I prefer to develop major level players rather than have a team full of studs. That's a real testimony of hard work, growth, and determination.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  10:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think it matters greatly who is in that PG bracket. If you draw the national Dirtbag team, or Tri-state arsenal, or the national canes team and loose to them 2-1 I woudn't say you need to call yourself a AAA team for not advancing. The PG tourneys are about seeing where you stack up. If my kids team drew any of those teams to a 2-1 loss I'm thinking I'm doing the happy dance :- )

The advantage also being that scouts are there watching them and will see your kids too. I saw it happen at the PG Elite Underclass this last year, Friday night late pool game against one of the "IT" teams. Scouts were there to watch them and this unknown kid came in and sat them down one by one, then the conversation between the high level scouts and coaches turned into "Who is on the mound, go grab one of their coaches, I need to hear about this kid."
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  14:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bama...and anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Your kid is a major player if he can A) hit....preferably for power and average but at the least for average...he needs to get on base a lot. B) is generally athletic...fast...doesn't have to be THE fastest but can't be a slugger who gets thrown out at 1..if he hits it off the wall, it should be at least a double, can't be waddling your way around the bases. C) he can play more than one position WELL. Should be a complete standout in at least one of those positions. D) he should be able to pitch. The complete standout reference can be as a pitcher. If he's the ace his 2nd position can be just ok. These assessments only apply to those ages prior to real recruitment age, where you pretty much are a pitcher OR a position player.

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 11/09/2017 16:04:48
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  14:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

Things change so much every year. A major team this year, may not be a major team next year and so on. Players change too. The stud at 10u may not be a stud at 11u. Add in puberty and other body changes factor in. Coaches looking for Major players may be looking to improve the teams winning capabilities, although under false pretenses. I prefer to develop major level players rather than have a team full of studs. That's a real testimony of hard work, growth, and determination.

Saw this from a few coaches over the years....once the kids became developed the parents told them they were too good for this team, so good luck with that Punishers.

As for how do you figure if your kid is major...lots of different ways. Are people calling for him to be a pick up player? Are you on a team that gets out of pool play in PG is another possible one as 15u said. How many all tourney teams has he made when he plays PG? Does he pitch in a high percentile on PG stats? Are the coaches telling him he's a major kid on a major team and when he looks around the other kids really are darn good....or is he the best and the kid in left field can't catch a pop-up? Can you call almost any team and say "Hey, my kid was really hoping to play in the XYZ tourney you are entered into, here is what he can play and here is his PG profile can he be on your team this weekend"...and they say heck yeah!
Go to Top of Page

Newbie BB Mom

141 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  14:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now I have seen some kids playing below major level at 15U step up in the next few years and end up going to big schools so as others have said I think it all depends on some genetics, how much work they put in and dedication on improving.

I have seen this as well. I have seen kids playing on obscure AA teams at 15u and even 16u go on to play college baseball, including one at an Ivy. I have seen kids who were cut from their power-house high school team play college ball. I have also seen perennial baseball "studs" from the time they were 8u who decided to walk away from baseball at 14u and 15u. Those who are willing to stick with it and work hard, even if they aren't as genetically gifted, can sometimes reap big rewards for their efforts. Attrition can be as much a boon as genetics.
Go to Top of Page

BamaDad

188 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  18:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Crazyforbball. That sounds like a good criteria for judging "major" level talent. Basically, it sounds like a true major player is elite for his level. Based on this criteria, there are many players at the major level who may not have the elite qualities that you described. I guess that's why this string of posts started in yhr first place

CaCO3, good points as well. I know what to look for now. Always try to take off my "dad glasses".
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

Bama...and anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Your kid is a major player if he can A) hit....preferably for power and average but at the least for average...he needs to get on base a lot. B) is generally athletic...fast...doesn't have to be THE fastest but can't be a slugger who gets thrown out at 1..if he hits it off the wall, it should be at least a double, can't be waddling your way around the bases. C) he can play more than one position WELL. Should be a complete standout in at least one of those positions. D) he should be able to pitch. The complete standout reference can be as a pitcher. If he's the ace his 2nd position can be just ok. These assessments only apply to those ages prior to real recruitment age, where you pretty much are a pitcher OR a position player.

Edited by - BamaDad on 11/09/2017 19:13:13
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  08:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's important to realize there are a very small percentage of players who are actually elite. These are the kids getting looked at from college coaches in 8th and 9th grade.

HUGE difference in elite and major, and if your kid is elite you know it. There is no confusion on that matter because he's already been invited to tour 5 college campuses by the time he finished 9th grade.

Then there are the Major players. You don't have to be throwing 95 in 10th grade to be a major player, an 80mph with decent movement is also a Major player. As a friend of mine told me there are pitchers and there are throwers, by the time you get to HS you pretty much know which you are. If the ball is coming in straight down the pike at 90 it's going to be hit. If it moves all over the dang place and even the catcher has issues catching it it can come in at 80 and be unhitable.

Edited by - CaCO3Girl on 11/10/2017 09:55:06
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  08:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BamaDad

Thanks Crazyforbball. That sounds like a good criteria for judging "major" level talent. Basically, it sounds like a true major player is elite for his level. Based on this criteria, there are many players at the major level who may not have the elite qualities that you described. I guess that's why this string of posts started in yhr first place

I think a way to describe a Major player is being AT LEAST a CONSISTENT 4-tool player. Elite Major would be a CONSISTENT 5-tool player.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  09:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah there are few majors teams under 15 or so (at which point puberty and attrition have truly taken their toll) that are made up of entirely true majors players but those teams are usually at least half and the remainder of the kids are still darn good. But you still have things like politics, "who you know," where you come from, relationships with certain coaches, $, etc. that come into play. Then there are parents...There is always that. But the higher you go level wise and age wise, the less of that there is.

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 11/10/2017 09:55:06
Go to Top of Page

15UBaseball

27 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  10:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the "elite" player is one that by 10th Grade D-1 Schools are watching. They might throw close to 90 MPH, They will probably be drafted their senior year or on the sheet to be drafted. They probably make the Varsity at their HS as a 9th grader and might even play.
A major player should be dressing with the Varsity as a 10th grader unless their HS team is loaded, but will probably get pulled up to Varsity toward the end of the season, again unless the HS team is really loaded. Some Major players may not dress with varsity but should be starting as 11th graders and Seniors unless the HS team is the best or 2nd best in the state but they should contributing.
A major player can be a kid that doesn't play after HS but most major players by their senior years should be getting some looks at colleges whether they are NAIA, JUCO, D-2 or D-3.

As a When I said a Major team makes bracket at PG I didn't mean in just one tournament there. If you are only playing only 1 PG tournament a summer then you aren't major team probably. I would imagine if the dates work out you as a 15U team you would play all 15U PG tournaments in GA and even a few 16U PG tournaments. If as the user above said you compete against the Astros, 643 Cougars, Team Elite Primes, Road Runners and the out of state Sand Diego Shows and Texas Banditos etc.. then yeah you are a major team. If you go out and get run ruled more than twice at PG you are not major. If you lose all your pool play games you aren't major unless you just got screwed in pool and lose all by 1 or 2 runs.
A major team will get some attention maybe an article on PG.
If your son is being recruited by the top teams in GA or offered a spot he is major. Not saying your son can't be a major player and be on a lower major tier team that does happen. Just my opinions though, and as I said anything can happen in a few years of hard work. My oldest kid was a major player but not a great one,(was not a pitcher) never got the attention of the top 5 teams in GA, but played at the level right below. Got offers from the bottom end of the Majors circuit. His teams made some bracket play at 15 and up at PG and even won some Triple Crowns, but hit good, ran good had a below average arm and could not pitch. Had offers from some very small schools but decided to stop playing after HS and go out of state for college has not said a word since about baseball and will graduate this summer.

Edited by - 15UBaseball on 11/10/2017 14:36:15
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  11:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

Saw this from a few coaches over the years....once the kids became developed the parents told them they were too good for this team, so good luck with that Punishers.

As for how do you figure if your kid is major...lots of different ways. Are people calling for him to be a pick up player? Are you on a team that gets out of pool play in PG is another possible one as 15u said. How many all tourney teams has he made when he plays PG? Does he pitch in a high percentile on PG stats? Are the coaches telling him he's a major kid on a major team and when he looks around the other kids really are darn good....or is he the best and the kid in left field can't catch a pop-up? Can you call almost any team and say "Hey, my kid was really hoping to play in the XYZ tourney you are entered into, here is what he can play and here is his PG profile can he be on your team this weekend"...and they say heck yeah!

I've been thru that before. Just means my job is done and it's time to develop the next one. No hard feelings. For some reason they all seem to come back or try after going to other teams and they realized they were not as developed as they thought. Hard being the new player on an existing team.
Go to Top of Page

RoamingCF

77 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  09:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

quote:

I think a way to describe a Major player is being AT LEAST a CONSISTENT 4-tool player. Elite Major would be a CONSISTENT 5-tool player.

My opinion...4 tool kids are in top 1/3rd of players on major teams. A real four tool player is a stud. Most kids (even on our regional major teams; READ: non-national level teams) are only 3-tool kids. Most have gloves (but likely not the range of Elite kids), most hit for some average, and most major level kids have plus/acceptable arms. Few have game-impacting speed or top-end power. You know when you see a 4-tool kid. You pay to watch 5-tool kids!

And I do think most kids on major teams can/will play beyond HS, but so few are really elite.
Go to Top of Page

CoachCross

107 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  12:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can you tell who is a "majors" kid? My answer: Who cares?!? I've two kids playing travel ball and a third who likely will be playing travel ball next year. They're all 11 or younger. I've another involved in a different and quite difficult athletic endeavor that competes on national level. My focus is making sure that, if my kids want to play, they have an opportunity to learn, have fun, and play in a competitive environment.

I think all my kids have a great chance of succeeding academically. There's a pretty decent chance I'll have multiple kids playing in high school, and there's a chance that, if everything works well, one or more will play a little while longer. And I really don't care how that goes as long as they are happy.

For now, even though I absolutely love participating in youth sports, I'm convinced (1) that the highest and best use for my children involves something other than sport, (2) that the best part of baseball/softball are the lessons of team and perseverance, and (3) that this is a game that some are fortunate enough to play a little longer than others, but the game's lessons are a wonderful part of personal growth, regardless the level or duration of play obtained.

I've had a chance, either as a head coach or an assistant/instructor, to have a role with 7 All-Star teams, 2 Select teams, and 5 travel teams. I just don't care about the "stuff" that is the result (i.e., what team are you on, how many tournaments have you won, etc.). It is the PROCESS that is most important. And by process, I mean this:

1) The kid needs to ENJOY playing the GAME;
2) The kid needs to develop work ethic and how to humbly accept the instruction required to learn new skills;
3) The kid needs to learn how to overcome failure; and
4) The kid needs to learn the importance of team.

I don't understand chasing a label, whether that be a title, a particular academy (of which there are many good ones), or play level designation.

I'm not saying my answer or approach is right, but that's where I am right now.

quote:

How do you determine if you son in "major" material so that you aren't one of those "8 of 10" parents?
quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  14:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CoachCross makes a good point. Very few if any MAJOR level players make it to the Major Leagues. Enjoy the game, learn from it. The players that have the desire to win will find a way to win.

I've seen too many Major level players at youth not prosper to become that player at a different level of play. Baseball is a true grind and for those without the height, size, speed, atheleticism, and work ethic, they will surely fall off. Then one will think that all those small-field wins really meant nothing.

Enjoy the member-berries.

quote:
Originally posted by CoachCross

How can you tell who is a "majors" kid? My answer: Who cares?!? I've two kids playing travel ball and a third who likely will be playing travel ball next year. They're all 11 or younger. I've another involved in a different and quite difficult athletic endeavor that competes on national level. My focus is making sure that, if my kids want to play, they have an opportunity to learn, have fun, and play in a competitive environment.

I think all my kids have a great chance of succeeding academically. There's a pretty decent chance I'll have multiple kids playing in high school, and there's a chance that, if everything works well, one or more will play a little while longer. And I really don't care how that goes as long as they are happy.

For now, even though I absolutely love participating in youth sports, I'm convinced (1) that the highest and best use for my children involves something other than sport, (2) that the best part of baseball/softball are the lessons of team and perseverance, and (3) that this is a game that some are fortunate enough to play a little longer than others, but the game's lessons are a wonderful part of personal growth, regardless the level or duration of play obtained.

I've had a chance, either as a head coach or an assistant/instructor, to have a role with 7 All-Star teams, 2 Select teams, and 5 travel teams. I just don't care about the "stuff" that is the result (i.e., what team are you on, how many tournaments have you won, etc.). It is the PROCESS that is most important. And by process, I mean this:

1) The kid needs to ENJOY playing the GAME;
2) The kid needs to develop work ethic and how to humbly accept the instruction required to learn new skills;
3) The kid needs to learn how to overcome failure; and
4) The kid needs to learn the importance of team.

I don't understand chasing a label, whether that be a title, a particular academy (of which there are many good ones), or play level designation.

I'm not saying my answer or approach is right, but that's where I am right now.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000