General Discussion
 BBCOR Bat Recommendations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stealyourbase

81 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  08:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a 14u who needs a BBCOR bat. Swung a Demarini last year but has outgrown it. Was wondering what bats this age group is swininging this year. Would need a balanced bat. Thx

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  11:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to better baseball in marietta, swing every bat in the store on the Hittrax machine for $20 (maybe $25?) and the machine will tell you which bat worked best for HIS swing (providing he's REALLY swinging and not just tapping the balls). You may be surprised by the results, I sure as heck was a few years ago. In our case I was dreading the $450 Easton bat and it turned out he swung the best with the Rawlings $199 bat, Merry Christmas to ME!
Go to Top of Page

stealyourbase

81 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  14:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't have the time nor does he have the patients for that. Just wondering what others are swinging this year and what their thoughts were on their chosen bat. Thabks though.
Go to Top of Page

dgersh22

169 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  15:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son who is a sophomore in college last year swung the Marucci Cat 6. He loves the feel of it and the balance, plus it has a lot of pop and is durable. He used his all of last year during the college season (games and practices) and used it all of this fall. I just went to Just bats and bought another Cat 6 for a $150.00. He has swung the Cat 7 as well, and says that there is not any difference, so we went with the new older model again this year. FYI he hit .398 as a true freshman in 200 plus plate appearances.
His team supplies bats (6 or 7 for the team), but he doesn't like all the pine tar that accumulates on them, plus after a while all that pine tar starts messing with the swing weight, so he has his own.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  15:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW..."
Don't have the time nor does he have the patients for that." That sounds very strange to hear a parent say....
If he doesn't have the patients for that, does he really want to play baseball? I would get the cheapest bat I could find then and make him use it. Rawlings Velo pretty balanced can not go wrong with it. There are better bats out there though.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  07:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane

WOW..."
Don't have the time nor does he have the patients for that." That sounds very strange to hear a parent say....
If he doesn't have the patients for that, does he really want to play baseball? I would get the cheapest bat I could find then and make him use it. Rawlings Velo pretty balanced can not go wrong with it. There are better bats out there though.

Exactly!

I have to say, if I told my son he could swing every bat at better baseball there would be salivating and maybe some undignified squealing.

But okay stealyourbase, the "hot" bats are LS 917, LS 916, Rawlings Velo, Rawlings 5150, Easton Mako Beast, Demarini Voodoo, Cat 7 (or 6 apparently), and I'm sure there are more.

Edited by - CaCO3Girl on 11/28/2017 09:26:19
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  11:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dgersh22

My son who is a sophomore in college last year swung the Marucci Cat 6. He loves the feel of it and the balance, plus it has a lot of pop and is durable. He used his all of last year during the college season (games and practices) and used it all of this fall. I just went to Just bats and bought another Cat 6 for a $150.00. He has swung the Cat 7 as well, and says that there is not any difference, so we went with the new older model again this year. FYI he hit .398 as a true freshman in 200 plus plate appearances.
His team supplies bats (6 or 7 for the team), but he doesn't like all the pine tar that accumulates on them, plus after a while all that pine tar starts messing with the swing weight, so he has his own.

In blue is what I like..........get a new "Last years model" and save about 30%+

I got my son the CF8 and it's his first Demarini. It's 32 inch. Not impressed at first but it is getting warmer and performing better and better. I still went and picked up an XL1(2014 model) that I found, but its 33"...........these bats are endloaded.

As far as the OP's question, Just ask your kid what he wants and go get it.....they are all going to be HOT, but not much hotter than last years model
Go to Top of Page

grandcherokee

4 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  13:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sons loves his LS 916,, He also swings a Demarini CF8 31/28..
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  14:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not a fan of the LS Primes, they dont last but do have incredible pop out of the wrapper. They will feel funny in the midpoint they have a flaw with those bats, but have yet to fix it, I have 2 right now that they are under warranty and will not give me new ones. Lasted my son about 2 months then you could hear stuff in the inside moving around, as I said the flex point between them starts turning, just a bad design. I believe there is a lawsuit some guy has against them since they are so expensive. If you want a bat with awesome pop for about a month this is your bat. New models are only different in color so if you can find an older one brand new I say get it. My son used his bat only in games until it went dead then used the old one in the cage and new one in games only. Lasted about 3/4 of the season using 2.
Go to Top of Page

stealyourbase

81 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  08:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. He prefers to swing wood but I make him swing metal during spring season for durability. Also, thanks for the belly laughs! You obviously don't know my kid questioning if he wants to play or not!!
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  12:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not a fan of the LS Primes, they dont last but do have incredible pop out of the wrapper. They will feel funny in the midpoint they have a flaw with those bats, but have yet to fix it, I have 2 right now that they are under warranty and will not give me new ones. Lasted my son about 2 months then you could hear stuff in the inside moving around, as I said the flex point between them starts turning, just a bad design. I believe there is a lawsuit some guy has against them since they are so expensive. If you want a bat with awesome pop for about a month this is your bat. New models are only different in color so if you can find an older one brand new I say get it. My son used his bat only in games until it went dead then used the old one in the cage and new one in games only. Lasted about 3/4 of the season using 2.

Only a problem with 916s, not with the 915 or 917
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  14:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aj94

quote:

Only a problem with 916s, not with the 915 or 917

Don't want to argue but look at any of the 917 Reviews and you will see people saying the same thing they said about the 916, I asked the guys at Better Baseball if they made any changes in this bat from the 916 and they said no only the paint color.
I found many reviews saying over and over again the bat becomes loose at the midpoint and turns even on the 917. I know a few that just bought the 918 so curious if they experience the same issue as past models.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000