General Discussion
 High School baseball during the Fall
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BamaDad

188 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  14:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize that there is no high school baseball season during the fall other than travel ball. However, are there required workouts for current and prospective players to be considered for team tryouts? Also, understanding all schools are different, when are varsity tryouts typically held? Thanks in advance.

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  08:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son was not asked to do anything in the fall. ALL baseball players are asked to do a fitness course as their elective, but for my son there was no room. It did not affect him making the team.

Varsity and JV tryouts are 1/15-1/19, usually JV is first then V is second, but there are some kids overlapping and doing both. First cuts are usually Wednesday night.
Go to Top of Page

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  10:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This ^^^^^

There were 3 "workouts" for Woodstock High School during the Fall. This was mainly so the younger class (freshman) can get recognized and put a name with a face with the coaches.

There is conditioning for 8-9 weeks up to the point of the tryouts. This is where the players get rated and scored on their athletic ability. Obviously, this prepares the coaches for the picking of players with the Varsity, and the JV teams.

With all this being said, I don't think every high school does it the same way. I know Paulding High School didn't have workouts and they don't do conditioning from what I have heard. I do however, think most of the tryouts are around the mid January dates.

I don't know what area your son will be in, but the Canton, Woodstock, Cherokee, Alpharetta schools will be complementary of each others programs.

Edited by - SuperStar on 12/18/2017 10:24:09
Go to Top of Page

LFconcessions

29 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  18:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does vary school by school.

My son's school in N Fulton does have 'mandatory' workouts. There is a large Jr & Sr class and the kids were told that if they do not attend 50 of the 53 planned workouts they would be cut. This was new communication this year.

We live close to the new Rapid facility. In prior years the HS coach wanted to make sure kids were getting their work in, just let him know your schedule. He also stated it can be detrimental for kids growing bodies to work too much, and not give the body time to recover. Kids have now been told that if they choose to work out at a facility - they will have to do on their own time.

The suggested tryout dates are {i believe} posted by GHSA in January, but again - its different from school to school. Ours is 3 days (& the decisions on who does/does not make the team are made during the fall workouts). Other schools tryouts can be as long as 2 weeks.

Edited by - LFconcessions on 12/18/2017 21:15:14
Go to Top of Page

BaseballMom6

233 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  23:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe if the coach actually put in writing that players were required to attend off-season workouts then they are in direct violation of GHSA rules. Our school had optional small group workouts as permitted by GHSA. Tryouts will begin MLK day. I believe ours last 1 week, in the past it has been 2 weeks. Every school is different, but GHSA determines the permitted first day of practice. It has been my understanding that GHSA does not allow anything to be mandatory until their official first day in January.

quote:
Originally posted by LFconcessions

My son's school in N Fulton does have 'mandatory' workouts. There is a large Jr & Sr class and the kids were told that if they do not attend 50 of the 53 planned workouts they would be cut. This was new communication this year.

We live close to the new Rapid facility. In prior years the HS coach wanted to make sure kids were getting their work in, just let him know your schedule. He also stated it can be detrimental for kids growing bodies to work too much, and not give the body time to recover. Kids have now been told that if they choose to work out at a facility - they will have to do on their own time.

The suggested tryout dates are {i believe} posted by GHSA in January, but again - its different from school to school. Ours is 3 days (& the decisions on who does/does not make the team are made during the fall workouts). Other schools tryouts can be as long as 2 weeks.

Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  08:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LFconcessions

Well that would be highly against GHSA policy, hope they put it in writing.

2.69 Legal practice dates are established for each activity (see the calendar at the beginning of this publication),
and schools shall not conduct or allow an illegal practice.
(a) The beginning of each GHSA school year is designated as August 1st.
(b) Illegal practices are defined as practices involving five or more students participating in any extracurricular activity in the presence of, or under the direct or indirect supervision of any coach of the
school (including a community coach). At any given point in time, only one (1) coach in a sport may work with up to four (4) athletes in skill-building drills.
(1) Any practice occurring after the beginning of the school year and before the opening of the designated season is an illegal practice.
(2) Any practice occurring after the end of the season for that team and the end of the school year for students in that school is an illegal practice.
(3) During the summer (i.e., between the ending of one school year and the beginning of the next) the only restrictions on practices and competition are that all activities must be strictly voluntary, and
the “Dead Week” must be observed, as follows: Schools are prohibited from participating in voluntary workouts, camps and/or clinics, weight training or competitions during the week (Sunday through Saturday) in which the Fourth of July falls each year.
(4) It is illegal for a team to go to a competitive or instructional camp or clinic during the school year other than in-season events designed for that team alone.
(a) If the event is held out of season, it would constitute an illegal practice.
(b) If the event is held in-season, it would involve illegal coaching.
(c) Boys and girls teams in the same sport are considered the same activity.
(d) This prohibition does not apply to the summer months.
(5) Neither coaches, former coaches (including community coaches), nor any other school personnel shall suggest, require, or otherwise attempt to influence students to participate in or practice for
a sport outside the GHSA-designated season. (NOTE: This would prohibit requiring any student to participate in one sport in order to be allowed to try-out and/or play another sport at his school).
(6) The following activities are examples of illegal practices:
(a) interscholastic scrimmages or practice competitions not in compliance with By-Law 2.62e;
(b) practices involving alumni or students who presently are not eligible at the member school at any time in the school year;
(c) practices against a non-school team at any time in the school year;
(d) practices of any kind outside the season designated by the GHSA.
NOTE: Free Style and Greco-Roman Wrestling are considered to be the same sport as Folk Style (high
school) Wrestling and are subject to GHSA rules regulating illegal practices.
(7) Coaches are allowed to be spectators or “fellow competitors” at non-school events out of season as long as no coaching occurs.
(8) Schools found guilty of having illegal practices will be subject to penalties that may include a fine, warning, probation, and/or suspension by the GHSA Executive Director.
(c) A GHSA coach (certified teacher or community coach) may not coach a non-GHSA team in a competitive setting during the school year that includes any player(s) who participate in the sport he/she coaches at
the member school. EXCEPTION: In a situation in which the child or step-child of the coach is the only player on a non-school team from the coach’s school, the coach would be exempted from this rule.
Go to Top of Page

LFconcessions

29 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  11:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All - thank you for posting the GHSA rule. Appreciate the input

the message was delivered verbally to the kids in a meeting the first week of school.

I was trying to highlight that it definitely is different school to school.

Edited by - LFconcessions on 12/19/2017 11:58:15
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  08:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually have an email I save a few years ago, I am trying to find it where the coach threatened everyone on the HS team that workouts were mandatory. One of the parents sent it to the school officials and they blew it off. The coach actually used the words not optional and Mandatory.
I understand working out is part of the process and one of the most important parts but atleast follow the rules that every other school in your county or GA is following or get reprimanded for it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000