General Discussion
 Balls and Strikes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2018 :  12:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or is the umpiring getting worse in high school. They seem to do ok on most calls, but then they are just awful on balls and strikes. They are inconsistent from inning to inning and some from pitch to pitch.

I wish someone would tell them that 1 to 2 FEET in the opposite batter's box is not a strike. The kids work so hard at perfecting their game and then they get called out on pitches that no one could even foul off, let alone hit. Also, if the kid shows frustration, then he gets in trouble by his coach. Meanwhile, the ump continues to suck it up and he probably thinks he's doing good since no one is allowed to argue about balls and strikes.

With todays technology, they should have a computer call balls and strikes and take that part of the game out of their hands. It would be better for everyone concerned, including the umps.

LKirc

13 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2018 :  14:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have noticed a good bit of consistency in my son's high school games. The strike zone varies from ump to ump, but, once established, it is fairly consistent.

I have noticed most umps change their zone a bit based on pitch type. Like calling high curveballs strikes, but any fastball above the waist a ball.

The zone is much smaller in high school ball compared to travel ball. It is called closer to MLB standards.
Go to Top of Page

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2018 :  16:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be interesting if a computer or monitor called the pitches. So far it's been pretty consistent with the pitch calling. It may be the wrong call, but they have been calling it the same for both sides. We was pre-warned by the coaches that the umping could be bad especially in JV ball.

I watched a call the other night to where the player scooped slid into second and stood up before the ball hit the glove for the tag. The ump looked straight at the runner and said you're out! The crowd couldn't believe it.

Edited by - SuperStar on 02/28/2018 16:53:38
Go to Top of Page

SamQuick

75 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2018 :  21:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watched a sub varsity game last week...the ump had two strike zones, one for home and one for away, but he was consistent.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  07:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They used the technology at a minor league game in 2015, although it wasn't completely designed for calling balls and strikes. With that said, I'm sure it wouldn't take long to develop something that was effective and relatively affordable.

This is the quote from Eric Byrnes (former MLB player turned MLB Network analyst and advocate for using this technology):

"I have always believed that at some point in the future an automated strike zone would be permanently implemented into professional baseball. After the awesome success of the system last night that day needs come sooner rather than later. To think that games on a daily basis will continue to be manipulated by human error when this technology is available is an absolute shame. I realize many people are resistant to change but this is a change that will undoubtedly better the greatest game in the world for the generations to come."
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  14:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed this the last 2 years. Especially if you come from watching a lot of travel games, you will see they give all the way to the other teams batters box especially early on in the season. Last year it seemed to stay about the same but the year before they seemed to pull it in slightly.
A good pitcher could with control could throw a no hitter or one hitter if you give them that pitch the whole game.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000