General Discussion
 Anyone know about College Redshirt Status
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IBABASEBALL

45 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  11:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CACO3 I know you probably know, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me the rules of redshirting in College. I know a guy plays at KSU redshirted his freshman year, played next 3 then Senior year hurt his shoulder and was told he could take a medical redshirt? Is that true or do you only get one redshirt year? Just curious if anyone knows the rules on redshirting.
Thanks

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  07:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NCAA were discussing changing redshirt status yesterday, along with all the new rules about camps and OV/UV. You should ask on the HSBBW website. More people there actually IN college and dealing with the regulations.
Go to Top of Page

HomePlateBaseball

19 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  12:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are aloud a normal redshirt season and that can be taken any year...you can also be granted a medical redshirt, but it takes more paperwork and has to be cleared by the NCAA.
Go to Top of Page

IBABASEBALL

45 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  15:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you can redshirt 2 years? That is what I was thinking must be happening. I know there is something about only playing in a certain amount of games.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  15:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HomePlateBaseball is generally correct. "Redshirt" is not actually an official term and is not used in any NCAA documentation. NCAA requires an athlete to serve their 4 years of athletic competition within 5 years of attending school full time. So, somehow, the term Redshirt was adopted for an athlete who did not use one of their athletic years. To be able to compete athletically beyond the 5 year term, you must get permission from the NCAA for extenuating circumstances.

This is, of course, a very simplified explanation. If you need more than that or you have an individual situation, you may want to contact the NCAA to help walk you through it.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000