General Discussion
 Catcher - forearm protection?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TaxiMom

149 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  12:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for recommendations for forearm guards/protection for catchers' catching arms.....

Thanks!

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  08:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never seen any. His one arm is behind him while catching, the other is behind the glove. Maybe he has his arms in the wrong spots. I'd consult a catching coach.
Go to Top of Page

TaxiMom

149 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  10:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

I've never seen any. His one arm is behind him while catching, the other is behind the glove. Maybe he has his arms in the wrong spots. I'd consult a catching coach.

We have with no solutions offered because the coach really couldn't figure out why it was happening so much to him. ;) It happens when he's blocking. The ball bounces back up and hits him in the glove hand forearm. A lot...….
Go to Top of Page

South GA Baseball

27 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  10:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of the younger catchers seem to like the EvoShield wrist guards. They seem to help a little bit when blocking the ball but it seems to be something that most grow out of in a couple years since they are a bit of hassle and never seem to protect a whole lot.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  13:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TaxiMom

quote:

We have with no solutions offered because the coach really couldn't figure out why it was happening so much to him. ;) It happens when he's blocking. The ball bounces back up and hits him in the glove hand forearm. A lot...….

It's got to be his body angle....second opinion? Maybe take him to a reputable guy who's been doing this for years and years? I think both ECB and 643 are in your area and both have long standing catcher coaches.
Go to Top of Page

Vandy

36 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  13:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the ball is hitting the outside of his forearms his hands and arms are out of position. It sounds as though he may be holding the glove thumb down, trying to capture the ball rather than low receive or block. Best way to tell is throw him some balls both up, and down in front. See if he's turning the glove down when the ball is down or not. Pretty common for a younger catcher to try to catch that way at first. Shoulders should be rolled forward and arms out, palms towards up with a ball in the dirt. As for marks on the inside of his forearms, well that's part of the position. Fortunately both he and the pitchers get better pretty quickly.
Go to Top of Page

TaxiMom

149 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  15:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TaxiMom

quote:

It's got to be his body angle....second opinion? Maybe take him to a reputable guy who's been doing this for years and years? I think both ECB and 643 are in your area and both have long standing catcher coaches.

ECB is where we went. ;) Coach jokes around with him b/c he gets it in the forearm so much, but can't really figure out what he's doing wrong. Unless he just constantly gets bad bounces......
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  15:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is he getting hit in the front of the arm or back? Tan side or no tan side? I think this is normal. Ball hits dirt and bounces over the glove in the dirt and hits him in the forearm. Opposite side of where the face of his watch would be. I would put an old school long sweatbands on his glove hand with either tape on it or wrap his forearm like Jim Rice used to do. Ace bandage and tape.
Go to Top of Page

TaxiMom

149 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  15:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vandy

If the ball is hitting the outside of his forearms his hands and arms are out of position. It sounds as though he may be holding the glove thumb down, trying to capture the ball rather than low receive or block. Best way to tell is throw him some balls both up, and down in front. See if he's turning the glove down when the ball is down or not. Pretty common for a younger catcher to try to catch that way at first. Shoulders should be rolled forward and arms out, palms towards up with a ball in the dirt. As for marks on the inside of his forearms, well that's part of the position. Fortunately both he and the pitchers get better pretty quickly.

Thanks for the input!

It is on the insides of the forearms, not the outsides......given that the pitches are now coming at him at 70-75mph+ for some of his pitchers, he was just looking for a little protection while he waits out these pitchers to improve with their accuracy.

Edited by - TaxiMom on 05/30/2018 15:26:12
Go to Top of Page

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  16:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good advice mentioned above. Maybe watch some YouTube videos on the pros and the instructors and see if you can tell whats gong on. The more he practices the correct way, the better he will get. It has to be in his mechanics if he's getting hit as much as you say. Good luck and be patience. If he's passionate enough about getting better, it will happen.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000