General Discussion
 New Composite Bat rule for High School
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zbake

399 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  17:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the new rule for HS for next year regarding composite bats.

National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Baseball Rules Committee forbids the use of composite bats until they can meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard. The changes, which were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors, will take effect with the 2010-11 school year.

After thorough testing by the Baseball Research Center at the University of Massachusetts–Lowell, the NFHS Baseball Rules Committee voted to outlaw composite bats until they can produce consistent results through the life of the bat, be made tamper-evident and be labeled as a composite product.

Under the new rule, bats with composite handles and tapers would still be legal. The stricter language applies primarily to the barrel of the bat.

fourseam

162 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  09:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how this will effect travel ball. In some cases tournaents use NFHS rules.
Go to Top of Page

13udad1234

34 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  11:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will the the stealth speed still be allowed in high school?
Go to Top of Page

WPBulls Coach

99 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  11:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 13udad1234

Only if it has the BBCOR stamp.
Go to Top of Page

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  17:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 13udad1234

Here is the list of bats banned that Baseball Express carries and has listed as banned.

http://www.baseballexp.com/popup/content.jsp?cmsName=PressReleases_Bats
Go to Top of Page

tajacket

26 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  22:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I'll now be buying two new bats to replace the composites my freshman and junior use, what are the favorites? One has been swinging the Rawlings 5150 and the other the Easton Stealth Speed.
Go to Top of Page

WPBulls Coach

99 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  08:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tajacket

Since I'll now be buying two new bats to replace the composites my freshman and junior use, what are the favorites? One has been swinging the Rawlings 5150 and the other the Easton Stealth Speed.

My son has been using TPX ExoGrids since 13U and won't use anything else. We buy yr old bat once new one comes out to save some $. In fact we bought a demo for $25 as a bp bat that he used in fames for one summer and a teammate used the next summer.
Go to Top of Page

Hillio

123 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  11:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this rule going to affect 10U players that use -8, -10 and -12 bats or does it not come into play until 13U when they have to switch to -3?
Go to Top of Page

zbake

399 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  13:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillio, this rule is for High School ball. College had already banned the bats. HS was the next. From my understanding, during the 2010 HS season,there was not a single composite bat that would be legal for the 2010 fall and 2011 hs seasons. On a seperate note, with the new rules that they instituted, a foul tip ball that is caught by the catcher is now a live ball.
Go to Top of Page

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  21:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zbake

On a seperate note, with the new rules that they instituted, a foul tip ball that is caught by the catcher is now a live ball.

I heard one from some umpires the other day in between games at one of the Perfect Game sites. They were talking about the new rule (or interpretation) regarding bunting. That if a player squares to bunt (bat sitting in middle of the strike zone out in front of the batter) and the pitch is out of the strike zone it is not a strike unless he offers at the pitch (makes a movement of his bat toward the ball). In other words, the batter does not have to "pull the bat back" to keep from a strike being called on a pitch that is out of the strike zone. Both were in agreement that it is not what they learned and did not agree with the new interpretation, but they would follow the new interpretation.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  09:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zbake

On a seperate note, with the new rules that they instituted, a foul tip ball that is caught by the catcher is now a live ball.

This has always been the rule. Nothing has changed. If a runner is stealing a base, batter foul tips the ball into catchers mitt and it is caught, runner is live, ball is live - stolen base - as long as he is not thrown out by catcher. Like I said, this has always been the rule.
Go to Top of Page

zbake

399 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  16:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bb I hear you.. according to the national hs association is listed under a new rule
Go to Top of Page

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  12:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DeMarini CF-4 is a legal composite bat 2010-2011. I wonder if there will be more.

http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=4155
Go to Top of Page

IBABASEBALL

45 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  15:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have updated the list with a few more bats that will be legal next year.
http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=4155
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  09:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this to assume that an older model of the same bat is legal as well? For instance, the blue Triton is on the approved list. Does that mean the silver Triton (one year older) is also approved?
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  09:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a pretty big list of approved composite bats. Which ones are actually restricted?
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  09:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I figured out my own answer. The 2009 Triton (Silver barrel) has a different model # (CB91T) than the 2010 Triton (Blue Barrel - CBXT), so apparently the 2010 model is approved, but not the 2009 one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000