General Discussion
 PG All American
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2018 :  09:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PG is to release the rosters for the PG All American Classic today. Not to spoil it for them, but if your not ranked in the top 52 of the 2019 class, then you didn't make it.

brball

615 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2018 :  21:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go... Solid looking rosters!

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=15538
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2018 :  06:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's always a few on there that makes you scratch your head, but most are certainly deserving.

It sucks for the kid ranked at #53, his fastball topped out at 98mph and he didn't make it. I would argue that if he were 6'2-6'3 instead of 5'10-5'11, he would be ranked in the top 10 and would be on the team.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  07:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we (the East) lost again and in my opinion we had the best team on paper. If you are on this board, then you probably watched this game. I think PG needs to reconsider some of their top ranked hitters, the East had 2 hits and one of those was an infield hit, which may have been overturned had there been review.

My point is, if you are considered an Elite hitter, then you should be able to hit Elite pitching. The kids that were pitching in that game are going to be the norm in D1 and if you get drafted (which most of these kids will), that is definitely the norm in the minors.

Most didn't hit in the EC Pro either, but were still considered by an MLB.com analyst as a top performer e.g. one player was 0 for 10 and he still was considered a top performer. They base a lot on the BP rounds and I get that too, but it ultimately only matters what you do against live pitching. Also, I get the projection, but at some point you will have to live up to the hype.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  10:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bama21

Well, we (the East) lost again and in my opinion we had the best team on paper. If you are on this board, then you probably watched this game. I think PG needs to reconsider some of their top ranked hitters, the East had 2 hits and one of those was an infield hit, which may have been overturned had there been review.

My point is, if you are considered an Elite hitter, then you should be able to hit Elite pitching. The kids that were pitching in that game are going to be the norm in D1 and if you get drafted (which most of these kids will), that is definitely the norm in the minors.

Most didn't hit in the EC Pro either, but were still considered by an MLB.com analyst as a top performer e.g. one player was 0 for 10 and he still was considered a top performer. They base a lot on the BP rounds and I get that too, but it ultimately only matters what you do against live pitching. Also, I get the projection, but at some point you will have to live up to the hype.

I didn't see much from the elite hitters either. 2 hits don't cut it.

That infield hit could have went either way at 1B, but the that kid got real wheels and stole every base after. That's something that can't be taught. Even though he batted 9th or 10th. He was one of the 2 hits and he batted left not his natural right.
He was the best SS on the field with the highlight plays he made.
The kid behind him was super fast too.

Edited by - Punishers on 08/16/2018 10:11:31
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  11:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

quote:

I didn't see much from the elite hitters either. 2 hits don't cut it.

That infield hit could have went either way at 1B, but the that kid got real wheels and stole every base after. That's something that can't be taught. Even though he batted 9th or 10th. He was one of the 2 hits and he batted left not his natural right.
He was the best SS on the field with the highlight plays he made.
The kid behind him was super fast too.

Great points but do you think pitchers have an advantage knowing that they can blow it out because they only have to throw an inning?

The hitters will have any opportunity to go back to the lab and show improvement because the spring will determine whether they move up or down the draft board.

By the way, I’m a big fan of the Nunez kid. He can flat out play!
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  14:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, he is legit. The only tool he lacks is power.

I would say the pitchers have an advantage more so because the hitters, during summer ball, saw pitching that ranged from high 50's to low to mid-nineties. Since hitting is all about timing, that could be an issue. So, I will give the hitters a little lee-way there. With that said, some of the hitters have been to USA trials, EC Pro, Under Armour, and lastly PG All American. For the kids that attended all or most of these, you should have your timing.
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  18:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would say the pitchers have an advantage more so because the hitters, during summer ball, saw pitching that ranged from high 50's to low to mid-nineties. Since hitting is all about timing, that could be an issue. So, I will give the hitters a little lee-way there. With that said, some of the hitters have been to USA trials, EC Pro, Under Armour, and lastly PG All American. For the kids that attended all or most of these, you should have your timing.

Agreed because those kids have consistently seen high level pitching.

Good luck to your son this fall and spring! I root for all of the GA boys to do well.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  19:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/77476210/major-league-baseball-draft-how-to-impress-scouts

Interesting article.
Go to Top of Page

brball

615 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  22:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

“50’s” ???
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  08:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks and the same to your son.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  08:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as the "50's", you did see it at the 17U National Championship. I won't post the actual speeds, but they are on PG's website, 4 out of the 8 days.

Also, I don't begrudge any player that wants to play and if that is what they throw, then so be it. Does it make it tough on hitters to see that big of a difference in pitch speeds, absolutely. That's why the pros can hit the 95 to 100mph because that is what they see day in and day out.

Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  09:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks and the same to your son.

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  14:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There were thousands of kids with power sitting at home watching and wishing too. Object of the game is to get on base, those outfield fly balls get caught. Power hitters strike out too much. Any good coach would tell you that. Too many base their offense on HR's instead of those who can get on base first.

Every pitcher there was a closer with good stuff. No triple digits, but some were close. Lots of movement on those pitches too.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  09:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^^ exactly the points I've been making on the other thread ... and the Nunez kid is a perfect example of all of it.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  19:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

^^^^ exactly the points I've been making on the other thread ... and the Nunez kid is a perfect example of all of it.

Once he gets into the pros, their strength and conditioning trainers will help him develop all the power he needs. Until then, keep getting on base and get those steals. The check will be in the bank and those power hitters will be taking my order at Sonics. "Tots extra large, please".

Edited by - Punishers on 08/20/2018 20:09:42
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  09:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, and what everyone keeps forgetting is ultimately SPECTATORS pay the bills. Not everyone in the stands are baseball people with kids who may have a dog in the race. Power and velocity don't mean nearly as much to the viewing audience. They want some action to watch, if no one is ever on base, it gets boring. And when they finally make it there the fans don't want to see sloppy errors and bad throws! The exciting part of pitching has always been the buildup to the end where they bring in the closer hitting the 100 mph mark to end the game. When the whole pitching lineup are closers it's the same scenario of few hits, boring game. They keep trying to come up with ways to "speed up" the game..yeah cause it's getting boring for the folks in the stands who want to watch a game, not a bunch of stats. Just sayin'!

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 08/21/2018 09:37:18
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2018 :  11:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little perspective. The kid (Bryse Wilson) that made his MLB debut the other day for the Braves was ranked 93 by PG and he did not make the PG All American roster. He is the first player that was ranked in the top 200 by PG in the 2016 class to make it to the "show", granted it was only a spot start, but still impressive.

He was taken in the 4th round and signed for 1.2 million, considerably more than the value of his slot. The Braves must have saw something that others did not.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000