General Discussion
 It goes down
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  18:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spoke to a friend from FL whose coach of his sons team used pickups and sat regular players.
He informed me that parents of the team had sued the coach and organization even though they claimed there was no refund.
End result: The coach and organization lost. They had to refund the parents all of their money back, the judge found cause that the parents were not paying for other kids to play who were not members of the team. Judge also said that they should try and get those pickups as regular players, but they went back to their own teams. About 3k per parent had to given back all because some jerk wads wanted to use pickups to try and win a useless tournament. Which they didn't win anyway.

Lesson learned. Work with what you have. Win or Lose.

wareagle

324 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  06:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I hate lawsuits, this is a little ridiculous. But if true, it probablyvstill won’t change much except parents will have to sign some sort of legal document before playing. More money for the attorneys.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  09:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too hate lawsuits, but I also hate pickup players that come in and take a players spot. I can see the parents frustration as we personally experienced that situation at a younger age.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  09:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wareagle

I hate lawsuits, this is a little ridiculous. But if true, it probablyvstill won’t change much except parents will have to sign some sort of legal document before playing. More money for the attorneys.

Best part about the USA. Can sue anyone for anything.
They actually did sign some legal document, but the judge deemed it invalid. There is a such thing as invalid contract. The reality is the coach and the organization failed to deliver a service the parents were paying for. Instead the coach thought it was a free-for-all to have parents pay for pickups. It does help that 5 of the parents were attorneys to begin with and the coach and org. still had to pay attorney fees.

The reality of it is this is no different than a Ponzy scheme. You can not take from one and give to another, and depending on the amount it could be a felony. I'm sure Madoff had people sign legal documents too.

Edited by - Punishers on 08/14/2018 09:52:22
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  11:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bama21

I too hate lawsuits, but I also hate pickup players that come in and take a players spot. I can see the parents frustration as we personally experienced that situation at a younger age.

You just gave me an idea. There should be a list of coaches and teams that use pickups over regular paying players. Nothing wrong with parents being informed.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  11:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's one thing to bring in an extra arm, 1 stud to help lift your team up, or to replace an injury, but I've seen it time and again...the kids who work all season for their spots, only to be benched so the pickups can win it for the coach, organization or certain parents on the team. Infuriating! Don't select kids for the team in the 1st place if they're not "good enough."

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 08/14/2018 12:04:51
Go to Top of Page

wareagle

324 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  15:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently had a conversation with a friend that has a younger son than mine. he plays for a highly decorated organization, and his son was on their "national" team. I basically told him that most all national teams operate this way. But, most of the "national" teams are not charging full price if at all to play on the top teams. If your are paying good money to play on these teams and they bring in pickups every week, then its time to move on. if your not paying much, then your getting what you paid for.

They all want to use the major league model where they can call up players, send players down etc.. The problem is, that in that model, the teams are paying the players not vice versa.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  16:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

It's one thing to bring in an extra arm, 1 stud to help lift your team up, or to replace an injury, but I've seen it time and again...the kids who work all season for their spots, only to be benched so the pickups can win it for the coach, organization or certain parents on the team. Infuriating! Don't select kids for the team in the 1st place if they're not "good enough."

100% agree. The sad part about it is that the coaches, orgs and certain parents think there is nothing wrong with this. Have to keep in mind that parents are paying for their kids to play and not to win. Plastic trophies and and cheap Chinese made medals can be bought. I've seen physical conflicts to coaches being shot at for doing this and then try to blame the parents. When it's the coaches and orgs that are the root of it. It's one thing to play with peoples money, but it's another to play with their kids. No one is getting drafted or scouted at the youth level besides the international latin players who can get up to $14mil at 15yo from an mlb club.

I tell coaches all the time that they are asking for problems by putting pickups ahead of paying players. Some just don't seem to get until they get it from one of the parents.

Edited by - Punishers on 08/14/2018 17:55:40
Go to Top of Page

Gus Ball Still Wins

77 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  08:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know a local academy team that used pick up players for Cooperstown. That's right, Cooperstown. There were regulars on the team that had been there multiple years that sat. Hell of a thing to see 12 year old boys- good ballplayers- with tears in their eyes between games at Cooperstown. Oh, and the money that the team "fundraised" was used to pay for the pick up players to go.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  10:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Ball Still Wins

I know a local academy team that used pick up players for Cooperstown. That's right, Cooperstown. There were regulars on the team that had been there multiple years that sat. Hell of a thing to see 12 year old boys- good ballplayers- with tears in their eyes between games at Cooperstown. Oh, and the money that the team "fundraised" was used to pay for the pick up players to go.

That's a shame. Cooperstown is just an experience and entertainment event. I must say that those parents are better than me. I can truly understand if they took action. The coaches will still be sipping thru straws today.

I guess it's too hard for some to do the right thing and live with the outcome.

Edited by - Punishers on 08/15/2018 10:59:52
Go to Top of Page

cburney

25 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  13:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Disgusting!!
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  16:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This all boils down to coaches who are lazy and do not want to really coach and train the players they have. Or, they can't coach if they need pickups to take regular player positions. Like a friend of mines said, baseball bats have 2 uses. I'll let the coach decide on how it will be used.
Go to Top of Page

catmando

107 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  17:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would like to see the actual article or case file..sounds more like a post to stir the pot. I would just say they are now part of the team. The finances are not really the parents issue. They pay what the cost is to be on the team and the coach may have had a fire sale that week.

Was there a contract stating how many kids the team would carry or how often kids would play?

show me a coach that does not use pickups? i have seen some ask kids who just lost in a tournament to play for them the rest of the weekend under new name
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  17:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catmando

i would like to see the actual article or case file..sounds more like a post to stir the pot. I would just say they are now part of the team. The finances are not really the parents issue. They pay what the cost is to be on the team and the coach may have had a fire sale that week.

Was there a contract stating how many kids the team would carry or how often kids would play?

show me a coach that does not use pickups? i have seen some ask kids who just lost in a tournament to play for them the rest of the weekend under new name

I do not have a case file, but you can contact Dade county if you want to challenge your legal mind. No pot to stir. The coaches do that themselves when they bring on pickups and sit regulars. I call those coaches who do that COWARDS and WEAK. And I'm bold enough to say it to their face. If the pickups didn't want to join your team in the beginning, why take them on now?

Contract?? You know these jerks keep things verbal. Contracts tie them to a legal obligation they have no intention to fulfill.

Edited by - Punishers on 08/15/2018 19:28:04
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  07:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some teams don't have the required number of players. Is it possible that was part of the pick-ups for Cooperstown?
Go to Top of Page

Gus Ball Still Wins

77 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  10:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:

Some teams don't have the required number of players. Is it possible that was part of the pick-ups for Cooperstown?

Unfortunately, no. The team had a full roster which is why kids were on the bench. I wish there was a reasonable explanation, but there isn't.
Go to Top of Page

Vandy

36 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2018 :  17:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elements of a binding contract, super simple = offer, acceptance, consideration (the dough). You can't promise one thing then supply another and think it's going to fly. It won't. There's a way to deal with out of town pick up players. Ask the whole group of payers, is this acceptable to you as a group if we replace Johnny with the broken elbow with Juan Star Pitcher while we're in Florida? Or, Some of you have elected to stay home and not travel with the team to Canada for the big Canook Tourney. We are going to get some players to fill in so the rest of the team that is going can compete. It's simple. Unfortunately that "National" team has had problems with that since inception. In fact there are players who may not even know if they are going to Canada until the night before, or worse, think they're going to Canada until the night before only to be told there aren't.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000