New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2018 :  12:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone knows who the EC Astros are, but as I got to the higher older age group I started hearing the name of Team Eastt Cobb Astos (ATEC).

I asked a family I know where they landed, as their team had disbanded, and he replied the “EC Astros”. I know he meant ATEC (son is not Astro material). He seemed to not realize that his new team is actually ATEC or he thought I wouldn’t know the difference?

Now the Giants are the EC Astro 22s, the third Astro Team.

Who approves these names? Why does EC Academy allow this name to be used like this? As East Cobb seems to be losing its luster and academies in Alpharetta/Cumming getting stronger...I wonder about the future of East Cobb.

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2018 :  15:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well at ECB, there are many teams in every age group. The bottom line is the original ECB Astros are the top tier team at ECB. In the older age groups, all the other teams fund the Astros. Which means literally they play for free and all expenses are covered. It's one of the "perks" of being an Astro.

So to answer your question, ECB doesn't care what the other teams names are. As long as they have those teams players paying, that's the name of the game. If somehow those other teams can have the Astros name incorporated in their team name, what ever pays the bills..., In simple terms, some players and parents realized they will never be on the genuine Astros team, so the next best thing for them would to be on one of the 2nd or 3rd teams with the name Astros on the jersey.

To each their own. As in other discussions on this board, my opinion is play where your kid is going to get the most playing time and to where he is learning from the coaches. And yes, the are some good organizations in the Alpharetta/Cummings area.
Go to Top of Page

jakesdad

118 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  09:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ATEC name is not going to be used anymore. The older kids are now Team Adidas.
Go to Top of Page

BamaDad

188 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  11:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jakesdad

The ATEC name is not going to be used anymore. The older kids are now Team Adidas.

The 17U ATEC team is now called East Cobb Prime.
Go to Top of Page

YazSportsBurn

23 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  11:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ATEC program is now Adidas.
No matter the name...top to bottom... great option for your kid. But remember...it is still a business. They all are. Interview the coaches. When you are at PG tourneys...go watch the way the coaches of other teams coach. Up to you to find the right fit for your kid.
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  11:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What took so long to make the change. ATEC was an all-time bait and switch. Now playing off the Prime name, that is Team Elite's top teams name. SMH.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  12:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad they changed it because it was confusing.

As far as using the "PRIME" name, there are a lot of teams across the country using that as well. Could it be a jab at TE, maybe. With the events that took place last off-season, there is certainly no love lost between the two.
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  22:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bama21

I am glad they changed it because it was confusing.

As far as using the "PRIME" name, there are a lot of teams across the country using that as well. Could it be a jab at TE, maybe. With the events that took place last off-season, there is certainly no love lost between the two.

Sounds like there is a story. I thought ATECs 18u Team changed their name to EC Sox? Regardless, I don’t have a dog in the fight. Just musings as I ponder GA baseball. I serioisly need to get a life.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  17:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought they all were Astros, and co-top teams. I've seen:

Astros
Astros- Orange
Astros- Navy
Astros- Gray
Astros- White
Astros- Team East Cobb
Astros- .22's (wouldn't it seem more likely to be Colt .22's-- since half of 45 is ~22?)
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  08:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

I thought they all were Astros, and co-top teams. I've seen:

Astros
Astros- Orange
Astros- Navy
Astros- Gray
Astros- White
Astros- Team East Cobb
Astros- .22's (wouldn't it seem more likely to be Colt .22's-- since half of 45 is ~22?)

Astro Team East Cobb are ATEC and not affiliated with EC Astros. The Astro 22s, used to be the EC Giants. They are also not affiliated with EC Astros. Not sure about the other teams you mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Elijah

26 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  10:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YazSportsBurn

No matter the name...top to bottom... great option for your kid. But remember...it is still a business. They all are. Interview the coaches. When you are at PG tourneys...go watch the way the coaches of other teams coach. Up to you to find the right fit for your kid.

Adidas could have really cool uni's, which is truly all that matters. Hope so. My son will probably play spring there.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2018 :  08:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elijah

quote:

Adidas could have really cool uni's, which is truly all that matters. Hope so. My son will probably play spring there.

ECB has a clothing contract with Demarini, equipment contract with Wilson, and a shoe contract with Adidas.
Go to Top of Page

ultimatesports10

135 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2018 :  13:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not real sure why ECB hasn't taken a look at doing shoe contract with New Balance. Go look at 90% of the players from 10U - Pro's and look what's on there feet. 100 times over a better product!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Elijah

26 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2018 :  17:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:
Originally posted by Elijah

quote:

ECB has a clothing contract with Demarini, equipment contract with Wilson, and a shoe contract with Adidas.

I think they had to change the name because of Wilson? Not sure. Nonetheless, you could make the Adidas uni cool. :)
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2018 :  07:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatesports10

Not real sure why ECB hasn't taken a look at doing shoe contract with New Balance. Go look at 90% of the players from 10U - Pro's and look what's on there feet. 100 times over a better product!!!!!

Years ago they did have a under armour cleats...those were better in my opinion. The demarini gloves also fall apart with the first use. Shame the players have no choice about buying them.
Go to Top of Page

BamaDad

188 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2018 :  10:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Years ago they did have a under armour cleats...those were better in my opinion. The demarini gloves also fall apart with the first use. Shame the players have no choice about buying them.

It appears that only the Academy teams(Astros, 45's) are required to wear Adidas cleats and Demarini gloves. I've seen players on other ECB based teams wearing Adidas, NB, Nike, and UA cleats and Franklin, Nike, UA, and Demarini gloves.
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2018 :  11:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BamaDad

quote:

quote:

It appears that only the Academy teams(Astros, 45's) are required to wear Adidas cleats and Demarini gloves. I've seen players on other ECB based teams wearing Adidas, NB, Nike, and UA cleats and Franklin, Nike, UA, and Demarini gloves.

I had no idea! I hope the ECB discount is good! Just found some great Nike cleats for $20 at Marshalls.
Go to Top of Page

Gapper

64 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2018 :  11:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone is required to buy the Adidas cleats and turf shoes at East Cobb. Now whether or not they wear them is a different story.
Go to Top of Page

corn dawgie dawg

47 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2018 :  14:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[/quote]It appears that only the Academy teams(Astros, 45's) are required to wear Adidas cleats and Demarini gloves. I've seen players on other ECB based teams wearing Adidas, NB, Nike, and UA cleats and Franklin, Nike, UA, and Demarini gloves.
[/quote]

You buy them regardless if you wear them or not. And at the highest price you can possibly pay. This is a fundraiser for ECB, plain and simple. Same for the 2 pair of Demarini batting gloves you're required to buy at $40 a pair. haha
Go to Top of Page

BamaDad

188 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2018 :  17:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by corn dawgie dawg

[/quote]

You buy them regardless if you wear them or not. And at the highest price you can possibly pay. This is a fundraiser for ECB, plain and simple. Same for the 2 pair of Demarini batting gloves you're required to buy at $40 a pair. haha
[/quote]You had a choice of taking the Adidas cleats or turf shoes. If the player preferred another brand of cleats, then they chose the turfs. These came in handy for indoor workouts and LakePoint games.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  18:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by corn dawgie dawg

[/quote]

[/quote]

$40 a pair??? Will they swing the bat for them too?

https://www.demarini.com/en-us/batting-gloves

Edited by - Punishers on 08/28/2018 20:56:11
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  10:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

$40 a pair??? Will they swing the bat for them too?

https://www.demarini.com/en-us/batting-gloves

From what I've been told, there are 2 types... "regular" for ~$25 per pair, and there are "custom" for academy teams that are ~$40 per pair.
Go to Top of Page

ultimatesports10

135 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  13:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There wasn't any option of gloves last year other than color. For $40, one pair should last a full year. They didn't last two months.....
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2018 :  09:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son goes through at least 5 to 7 pair of batting gloves a year, but we hit a lot. With all the sweat, then the drying out, they start getting stiff and then they rip.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2018 :  14:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There wasn't any option of gloves last year other than color. For $40, one pair should last a full year. They didn't last two months.....

My kids didn't last two at bats
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2018 :  23:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

My kids didn't last two at bats

Let's call it reoccuring forced purchasing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000