New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2018 :  18:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well said. This would also be a great reply to hshulers topic on “who works harder”.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  00:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elijah

A notable guy in youth/amateur baseball once wrote (paraphrasing) that the international players are about 10,000 ground balls ahead of American players.

You want something to be concerned about? Depending on your goals, there is always someone working harder and more efficiently. The greatest equalizer is knowing that no matter the size of your son or the grad year he plays in, someone is outworking you. This is how players get passed.

Natural talent is to be blessed. Having that "baseball" body is luck. Closing down a park multiple times a week is a choice.

True.
In getting a different opinion about the subject at hand:
Had a talk with a friend of mines (for 25 years) who is a asst coach at a major D1 (SEC) school about this hold back thing. He said that they were fully aware of parents holding their kids back when they look at the ages of the prospected recruits. He said we can tell when a kid is held back and we pass on those players cause we do not want incoming freshman who are the same age as our juniors. Those are the players we tell that juco or the draft may be a better source for them playing at the next level.

I was a bit surprised cause I thought they would cater to the older incoming players, but they don't even consider them. I guess they prefer players who are following inline their age with their class, but this was coming from a college coach.

Current Age of 1st round college senior 2018 signed draft pics:

Casey Mize, 21
Nick Madrigal, 21
Jonathan India, 21
Brady Singer, 22, August Birthday
Trevor Larnach, 21
Shane McClanahan, 21
Cadyn Grenier, 21
Blaine Knight, 22 June Birthday

Edited by - Punishers on 10/08/2018 09:42:57
Go to Top of Page

wareagle

324 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  11:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your friends school may be an exception and all schools are different.
I looked up commitments from UGA and GA Tech and the ages are all over the place. Some held back, some not.There are noticeably more kids with birthdays prior to December. So whether they are "held back" or not, they are currently signing more kids with May-Dec birthdays. Probably does not mean anything anyway, because it truly depends on the kid.

I am not sure I would use "1st rounders" as a point of comparison for most kids. Those guys are the exception.
Go to Top of Page

wareagle

324 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  11:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But if you want to look at "1st rounders" then 17% had August birthdays. More than any other month. And 30% had summer birthdays (June, July, August)

Edited by - wareagle on 10/08/2018 11:54:16
Go to Top of Page

Elijah

26 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  12:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not going to check them all, but I think you will find that most high draft picks will leave college as juniors, not as seniors. Mize, Madrigal, Singer...all juniors when drafted. My son will be 18 yrs, 10 months at the time of the draft in 2022. As a comparison, these are the ages of players below at the time of the draft.

Casey Mize, 18 and 1 mos
Nick Madrigal, 18 and 3 mos
Jonathan India, 18 and 5 mos
Brady Singer, 18 and 10 mos
Shane McClanahan, 18 and 1 mos
Cadyn Grenier, 18 and 7 mos
Blaine Knight, 18 and 11 mos
Kris Bryant, 18 and 5 mos
Mookie Betts, 18 and 7 mos

Our local boys:
Clint Frazier, 18 and 9 mos
Matt Olson, 18 and 2 mos
Parker Meadows, 18 and 7 mos
Austin Meadows, 18 and 1 mos
Ethan Hankins, 18 and 0 mos
Kumar Rocker, 18 and 6 mos
Will Banfield, 18 and 6 mos
Seth Beer, 18 and 8 mos

In all fairness,
Mike Trout, 17 and 10 mos
My son, 17 and 10 mos if I did not gap him.

Hopefully, this will give a clearer picture to some of you. There is no going down and beating up on anyone. Refer to my previous post for a more accurate reality.

Go to Top of Page

wareagle

324 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  15:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Punisher

we finally agree on something!LOL

I agree that using age instead of grade is a good idea at the younger ages. As I said, I never played my son down an age in youth baseball and this option has only become available the last few years. This is where I see coaches manipulating the rules, because its difficult to prove what grade a kid is in at a tournament at he younger ages. While I believe that almost all parents hold their kids back with good intentions, I am not so sure about a few of these coaches.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  12:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just recently saw another advantage that I hadn't thought about.

This deals with a player being draft eligible: "College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old".

This gives a player, if they meet the 21yr. old requirement and they are drafted their sophomore year, another year of draft eligibility.

If drafted their sophomore year, they can say no and go back to college for their junior year and then be eligible for the draft again at the end of their junior year. That gives them bargaining power and they may be able to negotiate more money as a sophomore.

If you are drafted your junior year and you say no and return for your senior year, then you have absolutely no bargaining power left because you either accept what the team is offering or move on to something other than baseball.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000