Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  12:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now you see my point!

quote:
Originally posted by oneZone

As far as I know, LL never went by grade, only by age. What they did was move the age cutoff date to Sept. 1 instead of May 1 (I think). That put the cutoff date in line with their season, so now you won't see a 13-yo playing in the LL World Series. This seems smart.

Why doesn't travel ball do something similar? And if they're going to determine eligibility by grade OR age, there should be a max. age restriction in place to prevent that 14-yo 6th grader from playing 12U (because that's ridiculous!).

quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

There is a grade option in travel ball. Example: A 14yo in the 6th grade can play 12u. Little League cured that when they changed the age cutoff date to Sept 1st regardless of grade. In travel ball the other venues refuse to do the same in fear of loss of revenue.

quote:
Originally posted by playhardhavefun

Correct me if I'm wrong, but holding your kid back would only help in high school ball where they play by class and not for travel where they play by age?

Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  12:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was all about wins for me. These are the type of kids I would be looking for. The Oldest, Strongest, and eligible by travel ball requirements.

quote:

Now you see my point!

quote:

As far as I know, LL never went by grade, only by age. What they did was move the age cutoff date to Sept. 1 instead of May 1 (I think). That put the cutoff date in line with their season, so now you won't see a 13-yo playing in the LL World Series. This seems smart.

Why doesn't travel ball do something similar? And if they're going to determine eligibility by grade OR age, there should be a max. age restriction in place to prevent that 14-yo 6th grader from playing 12U (because that's ridiculous!).

quote:

There is a grade option in travel ball. Example: A 14yo in the 6th grade can play 12u. Little League cured that when they changed the age cutoff date to Sept 1st regardless of grade. In travel ball the other venues refuse to do the same in fear of loss of revenue.

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but holding your kid back would only help in high school ball where they play by class and not for travel where they play by age?

Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  13:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Playing up has always been the standard when your son is better than kids in his age group or you feel he can play at that level and get better. I rarely saw this except with elite teams such as EC back in the day. I had a friend who seriously considered holding his son back fro athletics prior to HS but did not. He had a late birthday (august) like my son. We, on the other hand due to my wife being an educator decided to hold our son back before he started school (maturity) and well before we had any idea he would play any sport. It worked out. He is still undersized today but plays MILB ball and may get the up this year. It feels like most hold backs are parent related instead of kid related.
Go to Top of Page

Jackets96

34 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  13:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Georgiabaseball13 - a reason some people care is SAFETY! With the age exception for grade holdbacks, the tournament organizations are allowing kids to play against kids potentially up to 2 years younger. Nobody needs a big 15yr old swinging a drop 5 Zen against a bunch of 13yr olds, in some cases from 54ft away.

This is also a reason why some who have May-Jul birthday kids play "on-age" instead of "on grade". They are already up to a year younger than many in their grade, but with the re-classing and age exception, they could be up to 2 years younger than kids playing in an age group. Before and during puberty that's a big difference!

I also don't agree with Renegade44 that "playing up" in age is the only way to get better competition or challenge yourself. That's only true if you can play on at least the same level of team in the higher age group, whcih again is mostly kids 1+ years older. I would guess that playing on the highest level teams in an age group gives at least as good, if not better competition than playing the next level down in the age group up. Maybe I'm wrong there.

Go to Top of Page

oneZone

117 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  13:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, you're not wrong! That was my point earlier: I think more often than not, the kids who are "playing up" are either not doing it for the right reasons and/or not going to get the right results and/or not really good enough to be doing it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackets96

I also don't agree with Renegade44 that "playing up" in age is the only way to get better competition or challenge yourself. That's only true if you can play on at least the same level of team in the higher age group, whcih again is mostly kids 1+ years older. I would guess that playing on the highest level teams in an age group gives at least as good, if not better competition than playing the next level down in the age group up. Maybe I'm wrong there.

Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  13:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GHSA RULE -1.30 - AGE To be eligible to participate in interscholastic activities, a student must not have reached his 19th birthday prior to May 1st, preceding his year of participation.

Good luck to all those who will be turning 19 their senior year before May 1st.
Go to Top of Page

georgiabaseball13

24 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  13:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackets96 - I understand that argument. I'll state once again - I haven't said I agree with it - I just kept asking why Punishers felt so strongly. He apparently isn't worried about the safety. He openly admits his kid is "playing up" and always has so he already knows the competition likely will be bigger and stronger. His child is so amazing he can handle all that so I'm still curious why he/she has so much problem with it. Punishers refuses to answer that...mostly likely because he doesn't like getting his butt beat by teams that use these players vs. just keeping his mouth shut and developing and getting better or maybe playing the top level in his own age group.
Go to Top of Page

Jackets96

34 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  14:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PG and others allow for an exception to the age rule by grade so it can help in travel too. The cutoff for 13U is 2025 OR born after 5/1/2006, but if you in 7th grade, you can be as early as 5/1/2005 - an entire year older.
quote:

Edited by - Jackets96 on 10/29/2019 15:40:14
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  16:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My kid has always played up a age at the major level. Playing with kids in his same grade and not holding back to beat up on younger, weaker kids for a $2 medal that means nothing. Frankly, I think he is just an average player with speed and a high IQ for the game no matter what others may say how good he is. It's all about being challenged and forced to compete in a different environment. You are a product of your environment anyway. If you came from an environment of crooks and con-men. Chances are, you will be the same. Why don't you try it and see if your kid can adapt to playing in a different environment with older kids unless you are scared?

quote:
Originally posted by georgiabaseball13

Jackets96 - I understand that argument. I'll state once again - I haven't said I agree with it - I just kept asking why Punishers felt so strongly. He apparently isn't worried about the safety. He openly admits his kid is "playing up" and always has so he already knows the competition likely will be bigger and stronger. His child is so amazing he can handle all that so I'm still curious why he/she has so much problem with it. Punishers refuses to answer that...mostly likely because he doesn't like getting his butt beat by teams that use these players vs. just keeping his mouth shut and developing and getting better or maybe playing the top level in his own age group.

Go to Top of Page

oneZone

117 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  20:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait ... your kid plays up, or he plays with his grade?

quote:

My kid has always played up a age at the major level. Playing with kids in his same grade and not holding back to beat up on younger, weaker kids for a $2 medal that means nothing. Frankly, I think he is just an average player with speed and a high IQ for the game no matter what others may say how good he is. It's all about being challenged and forced to compete in a different environment. You are a product of your environment anyway. If you came from an environment of crooks and con-men. Chances are, you will be the same. Why don't you try it and see if your kid can adapt to playing in a different environment with older kids unless you are scared?

quote:

Go to Top of Page

RUSemiPro

95 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  21:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think for those doing it Late in the game (Middle School) you are likely right in your assessment.

However those doing it early on, pre-k, K or elementary school, it most likely has nothing to do with gaining an advantage, but more what is right for the child.

There definitely is an entitlement theory out there, and it's not just in sport either.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade44

Its all akin to the college acceptance scandal in the news for certain high profile universities. But instead of an elite school acceptance, the carrot is the coveted baseball(or other sport) scholarship spot.

Its just another form of rigging the system for ones specific benefit at the expense of some other not as connected or financed peer.

The currency used isn't some $250k+ booster check, instead its the currency of extra time and metric comparisons to lesser level more friendlier data.

Results? Less about competition, every day less and less about competition, more and more about how to work the system for your schemed up benefit. Entitlement. the "I'm entitled, you're not" mentality.

Edited by - RUSemiPro on 10/29/2019 21:53:55
Go to Top of Page

georgiabaseball13

24 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  08:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, yeah, yeah - your kid plays up an age and majors. We likely will never know if this is true or not but I've never called out your kid nor have I discussed whether my kid plays down, level, or up.

What I keep asking for and what you keep ignoring and failing to address is WHY you care so much? You simply are a sore loser that wants to stick their nose in other peoples business. It is not your concern what other parents do with their child.

If they are going outside of a given sanctioning bodies rules then yes you should address that and call those people out. If you don't like a given sanctioning bodies rules that allow this then simply don't allow your team/child to play that sanctioning body. Otherwise you should probably keep your mouth shut about what others do with their own kid and what their reasons are - you likely don't understand the full situation

quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  08:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He could play the age below by the cutoff rules, but plays up with his grade and has even played they next yr up. If he was held back a grade, he could play 2 yrs below where he is now, but we are not chasing wins at youth level.

quote:

Wait ... your kid plays up, or he plays with his grade?

quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  11:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Asking? Request DENIED. Speculate all you want. No obligation to answer your request.

quote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah - your kid plays up an age and majors. We likely will never know if this is true or not but I've never called out your kid nor have I discussed whether my kid plays down, level, or up.

What I keep asking for and what you keep ignoring and failing to address is WHY you care so much? You simply are a sore loser that wants to stick their nose in other peoples business. It is not your concern what other parents do with their child.

If they are going outside of a given sanctioning bodies rules then yes you should address that and call those people out. If you don't like a given sanctioning bodies rules that allow this then simply don't allow your team/child to play that sanctioning body. Otherwise you should probably keep your mouth shut about what others do with their own kid and what their reasons are - you likely don't understand the full situation

quote:

quote:

Edited by - Punishers on 10/30/2019 14:07:59
Go to Top of Page

oldschool22

50 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  11:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with georgiabaseball13. There are a myriad reasons why parents make the decisions they do regarding their kids’ baseball development. I recall being lambasted by well-meaning, but uninformed folks when I made the decision to have my 12-year-old play up two years at 14U. My decision was predicated by the fact that he was a strong-armed middle-infielder and I believed that getting him on the big fields early would be beneficial for him defensively. The first few months were very difficult as he struggled with BBCOR at 12. We had to play at a much lower level and I was criticized for taking him out of the “elite” circuit. But when he turned 13, we played up only one year and the following year he played his age. He is now very successful in a high-Majors organization.

I now receive a fair amount of unsolicited advice regarding our second child who is a pitcher because we allow him to throw with a very high pitch count. Again, we have our reasons and it is OUR business.

My point is, we have reasons for our decisions and whether or not they were sound decisions, they were OUR decisions. I cannot fathom publicly criticizing or even dispensing advice to other parents without being asked for it. We all have our own paths for our children and are accountable or our own choices. If someone believes it is beneficial to play their child up or down, it is entirely their prerogative to do so and criticizing them is highly presumptuous.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2019 :  13:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I largely agree with the "to each his own" mentality. I completely agree with parents holding their kids back who are right on the age cusp and may not be as mentally or physically mature as their peers socially, academically, or playing "up," potentially resulting in multiple issues that may have nothing to do with baseball. I do not agree with repeating a grade if you are mature, a good student, and are doing it strictly to pad your son's stats or hoping he gets bigger. I feel this is unfair to the child because anything can happen in the next 4 years and let's say your son decides he is no longer interested in sports (it happens!), or God forbid has a career ending injury of some sort. In this case he now has to explain to prospective universities from an academic standpoint why he is beginning his freshman year at almost 20 years old and why he repeated a grade when he was an excellent student. You may get an extra year of being a stud and great stats at say 14 or 15, but by 16 they are all pretty much well into or done with puberty and they will end up where they would have ended up on the spectrum any way, albeit a year later. Am I wrong? There are plenty of late bloomers who rise to the top their jr year when it really counts, so I'm not sure I see the advantage. But all that said, if it's the PLAYER'S desire (and his alone with full disclosure of the possible pitfalls) then there's nothing wrong with him making that choice I suppose. I just wonder in those circumstances how many kids would really make that choice, or would instead do it to please their parent.

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 11/13/2019 14:07:50
Go to Top of Page

NWbaseballscouting

8 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2019 :  11:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with RUSemipro's post above. The real issue is when parents of really good athletes do it in 8th grade only. I've seen it time and time again when a stud 8th grader is all of a sudden playing 14U for the 2nd straight year even though he is a year older than everyone on the field with him. Yes he dominates but who gives a you know what.

Lots of kids are held back early around kindergarten/1st grade because of early birthday and/or issues with reading, etc. and that is normal. But when Little Johnny is SS and his high school has a stud senior SS so his parents reclassify him so he won;t have to sit as a freshmen it is gaming the system, by definition, and cheating by practice.

Punishers needs to realize it is legit in some circumstances but georgiabaseball13 needs to realize it is complete BS in almost every situation involving a repeat of the 8th grade. And then you guys need to go have a beer.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  19:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No issues if it is legit. Don't drink, but thanks for the offer.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000