New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ChinMusic

126 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  08:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like everyone else, I really miss baseball... But, understand at this time that's not the highest priority right now. Hope the boys are staying in shape and getting their individual work in as we wait.

Anyone think we'll be playing this summer? Fall? I'm hoping for Fall ball at this point, but who know how this will play out.

The board is dead, so at least we can speculate about the game we miss and love. Please be safe out there.

bballplayer08

9 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  09:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree that it will be fall before tournaments start back up. I could see some tournaments played as early as Mid-May but for sure we will be playing again by June. There is a chance we have some better insight today as the president is set to announce the guidelines for states to reopen this afternoon.
Go to Top of Page

Hard90

9 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2020 :  05:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My gut says summer baseball isn't happening, unfortunately.
Go to Top of Page

oldschool22

50 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2020 :  11:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all the recent news confirming this virus has no more lethality than the flu, things should be opening up in earnest. Yes, we will have summer baseball.
Go to Top of Page

gabbdad24

28 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  11:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old school, I hope you are right. I’ve seen massive downward revisions in the models in terms of hospital resources needed and deaths - models that already accounted for social distancing measures, but I haven’t seen data about lethality being lower.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane22

100 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  13:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that East Cobb has opened back up based on Social Distancing rules. We have been doing some bullpen sessions there.

I'm hopeful for June as comeback. I think May might be a bit early and a little too rushed. People are going to need time to get organized again and I think players could use a few extra weeks to get some work in.

I sure do miss it....that is for sure!
Go to Top of Page

oldschool22

50 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  00:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gabbdad24, initial antibody testing across the country is clearly showing that up to 50 persons have had the virus for every one that has tested positive. Thus, the denominator is much, much larger and the mortality rate is much, much lower... at about .1% which is roughly the same as seasonal influenza. As larger antibody studies are completed in the next few weeks, this information will be more commonplace.
Go to Top of Page

Ross

60 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  20:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are in a high risk category stay home and protect yourself. If not go back to work stop living your life in fear.
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2020 :  10:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only chance you will have to play is because the different baseball programs are all businesses whether they are "non" profit or set up as for profits it is all about the $$ and your boys baseball tournaments is about other people making money. So at some point this year there will be baseball.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2020 :  14:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ross

If you are in a high risk category stay home and protect yourself. If not go back to work stop living your life in fear.

Exactly. Been saying that for a while now...
Go to Top of Page

ChinMusic

126 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2020 :  15:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

quote:

I agree with this as well... There's no telling how many people have/had the virus, and that number is probably quite large. With that, a much lower mortality rate.

But... I'm not a lawyer, but are there legal liabilities if a player gets sick/dies?? Could that include the ballpark, coach, tournament director, etc. ??
Go to Top of Page

cap1

4 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2020 :  08:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can not prove that a individual was infected at a specific event in a court of law. The individual could have picked up the virus anywhere given the highly contagious nature of Covid-19.
quote:
Originally posted by ChinMusic

quote:
Originally posted by bballman

quote:

I agree with this as well... There's no telling how many people have/had the virus, and that number is probably quite large. With that, a much lower mortality rate.

But... I'm not a lawyer, but are there legal liabilities if a player gets sick/dies?? Could that include the ballpark, coach, tournament director, etc. ??

Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2020 :  17:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we need to not "let" that happen (no summer ball). Push/write/call your legislators. It's time to shelter the frail and let the healthy out. I've never understood why we are following the Communist China model vs the Swedish model.
Go to Top of Page

oldschool22

50 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  11:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The original purpose of the lockdown was noble — flatten the curve of new infections and prevent hospitalizations from being overwhelmed. That was accomplished some tome ago. But government is self-serving and this power of ultimate control of society is intoxicating and hard to relinquish. We now know that the vast majority of transmissions are intra- familial and that they occur indoors. We also know that the virus dies immediately in direct sunlight. What better way to spend a day than outdoors in the sunshine? Folks, this is not about preventing deaths anymore.
Go to Top of Page

gabbdad24

28 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  11:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see TbS is restarting May 22 weekend. Anyone know what plans are for the other tournament organizations? When are people’s teams planning on getting started back? Is there much push-back from concerned parents, or are most willing to let their kids play when things start back up?
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  16:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kemp just gave a big middle finger to sports. 2 more weeks ... 2 more weeks ... 2 more weeks.
Go to Top of Page

ladams

10 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  23:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not looking good for a season. I don't see how they will go from 10 people to large gatherings anytime soon. My parents and kids are ready to play ASAP. This living in fear is OLD.
Go to Top of Page

Chet

28 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2020 :  00:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that is how the public park directors are going to see it. The order is actually a more favorable interpretation for baseball, and would seem to leave it up to reasonable discretion for tournament operators if they can keep mostly 6’ and make some basic accommodations. But I dont know if anyone will do that. Seems like PG and TBS could easily do it but that isn’t much in the way of field space at Lakepoint and ECB, assuming those owners would allow it.
Go to Top of Page

KentMurphy

96 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2020 :  08:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The baffling part is how there was a lot of lip service from the govt and CDC about "exposure to UV rays" and "temps above 75 degrees" would slow or nearly eliminate the spread. Like the virus would survive milliseconds, if that, in those types of conditions. However, sports (or corresponding crowd-sizes) are not being allowed OUTDOORS, but daycare centers and day camps are allowed... So it's ok for the kiddos to get in and spread it in indoor activities but grown adults still are not allowed to go to outdoor venues... I guess we adults cannot be trusted to not distance some.

That, or the 'Karens' of the world have too many orgs worried about getting sued.
Go to Top of Page

gabbdad24

28 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2020 :  10:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So seems like no baseball until at least June 6 weekend?

I agree with Kent about the actual risk of an outdoor activity like baseball and I want to be out there as much as anyone, but day cares and camps are needed in order for many parents to return to work and that is going to be higher priority from a governor who is taking heat for anything he does to open things up.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2020 :  11:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When are these politicians going to grow a pair and let consenting adults decide for themselves and their families what degree of "risk" they are willing to take on? Fact: this virus has killed .02% of the population. No death goes unnoticed or discounted but at this point the response has far outweighed the benefit imo. Young men and boys need fresh air, exercise, academics, and discipline and instead they are being handed isolation, aimlessness, no zeros (aka "everyone gets a trophy") and video games. Pent up hormones with no physical outlet or purpose is not going to end well if this continues. Enough is enough.

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 05/14/2020 12:49:50
Go to Top of Page

oldschool22

50 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2020 :  10:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The number of new cases and fatalities in Georgia have in fact plummeted since Gov. Kemp opened our state. This despite dramatically increased testing. We are seeing that states and countries that suffered intense lockdowns did no better than those who did not lock down or opened “prematurely”. In fact, we now know that over 85% of all infections have been interfamilial or in nursing homes — indoors. Getting our summer baseball season going will be the impetus for some much-needed mental healing from this horrific usurpation of our liberties.
Go to Top of Page

KentMurphy

96 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2020 :  11:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PG just updated their waiver and hold-harmless participant acknowledgement that need to be signed. Releasing them of liability in one could somehow link infection to one of their events.... Take that, Karen's.
Go to Top of Page

oneZone

117 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2020 :  16:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldschool22

The number of new cases and fatalities in Georgia have in fact plummeted since Gov. Kemp opened our state. This despite dramatically increased testing. We are seeing that states and countries that suffered intense lockdowns did no better than those who did not lock down or opened “prematurely”. In fact, we now know that over 85% of all infections have been interfamilial or in nursing homes — indoors. Getting our summer baseball season going will be the impetus for some much-needed mental healing from this horrific usurpation of our liberties.

"Plummeted" is not accurate. At all.

The changes the Ga Dept. of Public Health recently made to how it reports cases at dph.georgia.gov is what causes the apparent sharp decline you see in their chart during the past couple of weeks. They started reporting them based on the earliest of these dates: the onset of symptoms, date test sample taken, or, if neither of those are available, the date results reported.

While that is more useful for scientists studying the spread of this pandemic, it amplifies what is already a delayed picture of today's reality and can lead people to believe that the spread has indeed plummeted even though it hasn't.

The website explains that cases over the past 14 days may be under-reported because of a lag between testing and reporting, but you have to dig a little to find out that their new method of dating new cases will cause perpetual under-reporting for recent days or even weeks.

There are also several delays that all add up: the onset of symptoms, since the incubation period is anywhere from 2 to 14 days after transmission; a delay in actually deciding to and getting a test; a delay in receiving results, which can be several days; and then of course a delay between test results and actually being reported on their site.

Even with all that said, the main chart they're showing is the daily number of new cases reported, which was as higher than 1,000 on May 1 and was 750 this morning. Having fewer cases per day than before is obviously the goal, but there's a long way to go.

I suggest taking a look at the "cumulative cases" chart on the dph.georgia.gov site to get a more realistic idea of the trend.

Go to Top of Page

GAJags43

15 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2020 :  15:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure how they’re doing it, but I drove past All Tournament Players Park and the lot was full. Someone said they’re running games out there? Even though it’s a private facility, don’t they have to adhere to the social distancing guidelines? And how can you “social distance” in those dugouts and the stands?
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2020 :  19:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems pretty simple like everything else corona now...if you don't want your kid to play, then don't play! But the rest of us should be able to decide the risk level our own families are willing to take on. If you're not at the park or in the stands or in the dugout and are safely isolated at home then there is no way we can infect you! Same for parks, playgrounds, the lake, the beach, the gym, etc etc. Not being snarky but I feel we've got enough info to decide for ourselves.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000