Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 Do you have a recommendation for a dugout heater??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coachtony

236 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  23:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like most of you, we are anticipating a few really cold tournaments before Spring gets into full bloom so I am thinking about picking up a portable heater for the dugout. I have seen several kinds around the fields from just normal kerosene space heaters to the big construction job site torpedo style heaters. Do you have any experience with them? Would love to hear what some more experienced folks think.

Thanks!

--T

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  10:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, right now at Northern Tool they have a convection heater that runs off a normal propane can that you would use in a typical grill. It produces upto 88000 BTU and does not require electricitity. The torpedo heaters usaully require kerosene and electric hookup, some are just electric (the small ones). The one I mentioned is on sale for $89.99. Most bang for the buck or should I say most heat for the buck. Priced them out many times. I have to buy for a baseball and softball team.
Go to Top of Page

seminole tony

147 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  19:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big Buddy heater! Worth their weight in gold. Easy to use, has a fan, and is light and easy to transport. Puts off lots of heat. A little trick I use is take a roll of heavy gauge plastic and section off an area low along the fence(usually at the opposite end of the dugout from the entrance 2-3ft. high) to block any wind. Place the heater in the corner watch the boys flock to it like a moth to a flame. Runs on 4D batteries and two 1 lb. propane tanks. The heater on high will last 6+ hours. Don't forget zip ties to secure the plastic to the fence.
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  11:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 to Gwinnett, i have one of the popane heaters, works like a champ.
Go to Top of Page

RJ CJDAD

51 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  00:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
coachtony - try using a simple metal trash can to put the bats in. Place heater near the outside of the can so it does not melt the finish of the bats. You can regulate the heat by putting the heater closer or farther away. We have used all types of heaters and all mentioned above are very good.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  13:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kisses to you guys for the great ideas. I just picked up a Big Buddy heater, 4 D batteries, 2 1 lb. propane canisters, plastic sheeting, zip ties and a metal trashcan. We are ready for tonight!

I had put it off thinking "well it's 70 degrees outside - we don't need no stinkin' heater!!"

WRONG! The parents are going to owe me BIG TIME...
Go to Top of Page

seminole tony

147 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  21:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rippit,
Let me know how you liked the Big Buddy heater. I used mine tonight at my sons high school game on the bleachers and I had to get up several times because my rump roast was done. Trick to bleacher placement is to put the heater under the 2nd or 3rd row bleacher seats and hang a blanket over the top seat just behind the unit(which is facing forward towards the field)almost to the ground. You sit above it with some of your closest friends and just cover up. The blanket that hangs down contains the heat forward and up. This way usually will keep 6-9 rears warm through a cold game.

Edited by - seminole tony on 03/04/2011 21:25:51
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  09:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seminole: worked great! Nobody wanted to carry that metal trashcan from the parking lot to the field bc they thought it was a dumb idea (we only got 4 hits and lost...I guess they are second guessing that decision today) and nobody wanted to put that plastic up around the dugout to block the wind, but the kids loved the heater.

Go to Top of Page

seminole tony

147 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  11:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know why the trash can?? Rules for baseball say that bats can not be heated this way. You can use a bat sleeve to keep barrels warm but not a team heater(bats in a can). After a couple of tournaments you should be able to remember about how much plastic and zip ties are needed and put it up in mere minutes. I would forget the can idea though(who thought of this??). 8-10x4ft. of plastic and 12 zip ties should do it. Now you have to buy 2heaters-one for team and one for families.(one other trick is to roll the edges a couple of turns down to make it stronger for the ties to hold to. It also allows you to re-use the plastic over a whole tournament).

While we're talking shelters from the elements...Take some of the roll plastic sheet(15x20) and keep it in the old baseball back-up box in case it rains at a tournament. Not all dugouts have covers and this makes a quick roof for the team during rain delays or for parents that can't fit under the team pop-up canopy, fashion a lean-to from the fence to the bleachers. Cheap, disposable shelters.

Signed MacGyver

Edited by - seminole tony on 03/05/2011 11:20:28
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  12:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look up the list 4-5 posts at what rjcjdad said...

Thanks for the info. That could have been embarassing.

What do I know - I'm just a girl.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000