General Discussion
 Cow bells
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  15:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We played in a tournament this weekend, where a lot of the parents from one team had cow bells. They would ring these when ever thier team did anything even slightly well. I am all for parents cheering thier team on. But where do you draw the line? We were jokingly saying we need to go get vuvuculas (Those soccer horns) for the next time we play them. I prefer the high road, and don't want to start down that road. But where do you draw the line? You can get those little airhorns pretty cheap:-)

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  20:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must have been irritating. You will notice as the kids get older, that kind of stuff diminishes. You won't see anything like that at a HS varsity game. You also won't see any of it at a 16, 17 or 18 year old travel tournament.
Go to Top of Page

bstand

56 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  20:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not a fan of cow bells either. I agree to each his own, and that everyone will not agree about things like this, but there are many unspoken rules of etiquette that should be adhered to. I believe these rules should apply even more the higher the level of play is. We played a team this weekend that brought those with them. It seemed pretty obnoxious. I will say, that many times, other subtle things will follow when this type of behavior is present. Things like first base coaches yelling at a baserunner loudly and abruptly right at the release point of your pitcher. Throwing behind the runner at third base and the 3rd baseman not even attempting to catch the ball letting it hit the runner, etc. Any way, the best way I have found to silence them is to score lots and lots of runs.
Go to Top of Page

seminole tony

147 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  21:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cow horns have usually been reserved for football games but I don't mind as long as "our team" doesn't give them much need to use them. Still just a game and families having fun. That would be like saying no "chanting, music, whistles, or noise makers what so ever".
I personally don't agree on the playing of music during a game, even if it's in between innings(not everyone agrees on music types). Some people it may be something else. As long as it's not taking place during the actual playing of the game or used as a distraction for the players.
Some tournaments will stop music and other noise makers if its complained about. Let the noise of your team cheering in the end be the only sounds that count. Then give 'em a big ....MOOOOO
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  21:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We played an extremely annoying and unsportsmanlike team this weekend and have done so many times in the past, I have no problems with parents cheering but noisemakers are usually just a little over the top. I will never forget coaching rec ball and the parents had coke bottles with gravel in them!!(so annoying!)....I wouldn't stoop to their level, just wear em out between the lines and let them take the cow bells home early..
Go to Top of Page

uwga7

13 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  22:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you there. I have seen the same team I think but I did not think it was that bad. Like you said they only used them when they did something good. i did not see them make any noise when other team pitcher was pitching or in any other offensive manner. For that matter I think all teams (especially moms) have some sort of noise maker. LOL!
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  23:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just pretend your at Miss. State game. Man those things are loud.
Go to Top of Page

christheump

351 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  08:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an umpire, I cant stand them as it can sometimes lead to comments being made back and forth between team parents.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  08:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think, in this case anyway, that it had anything to do with the coaches or players. They played a good clean game. I don't think the cow bells had any effect on the actual game. To me at least, it was just a bit too much from the parents. I love the chearng, but hate the noise makers. I was thinking about staying and watching the game that followed ours on Sunday, but I heard the cow bell ladies getting warmed up,(they had the game after ours.) and decided I would rather not listen to the noise.
Go to Top of Page

Darnell

40 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  08:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no room for Cow Bells or Boom Boxes at a baseball tournament.....at any age. Maybe it works where the field is isolated but not in a complex setting like East Cobb or otherwise. There were 10 teams playing at one time on the lower fields of East Cobb this weekend. One of the teams had a Boom Box blaring between innings. What if all 10 teams had their very own DJ Dad spinning walkout music. I don't think that's what most want to experience at youth baseball games. Seriously, the parents and grandparents need to grow up on this one and cheer for players in a way that demonstrates respect for the game and others around them.
Go to Top of Page

bleachercreature

1 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  10:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seen it and heard it for years.Its not enough just for a team to be good the parents want to mix in a little "World Wrestling Entertainment" into it. What happened to parents just wearing their kids #. Parents want to make it a spectacle and bring themselves into the action with bells,jugs w/marbles,and boom boxes.I cant see a ECB team partaking in this.But there is not many ECB teams from AL or north GA.
Go to Top of Page

momof2

7 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  10:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darnell, I couldn't agree more. As parents we need to model the sportsmanship behavior we want in our sons. Our parents will call out when a good play is made by the opposing team. Show respect for the players on both sides.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  10:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My biggest pet peeve with this is very rarely will the other games going on also be inbetween innings. As a coach, the thing that I hated the most was trying to talk to players in the middle of an inning with another team's radio blaring behind us. The people that run the boom boxes very rarely don't seem to acknowledge the other games going on (I think mostly because they don't realize the distraction it is causing the other games). They are just focused in turning the music on while between half innings.

In HS, music is played, but there are not other games going on to disturb. It is a matter of knowing your surroundings.

If the tournament is spread out and being played on individual fields somewhere, I have no problem with a team having a boom box and playing it between half innings. No other games would be disturbed.

It is just a matter of being respectful to your surroundings.
Go to Top of Page

baseball1

56 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  15:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say no big deal if they are not rattling the cowbells during a live ball or particularly when the opposing pitcher is winding up / throwing ....its not a part of baseball's culture to bring out obnoxious noises or behavior that's more football maybe basketball ... but if the fans are having fun with it and its not distracting the kids let it go - and hope the game ends soon !
Go to Top of Page

mdprtr5@charter.net

50 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  21:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Head Coach of the Gamers Blue says, "I HAVE ENROLLED THOSE PARENTS IN COW BELL ANONYMOUS SO THE NEXT TIME ANY OF YOUR TEAMS SEE US WE WILL BE COW BELL FREE"!!!
Go to Top of Page

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  23:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at age 12 we played a team and their parents had cow bells. how obnoxious. my kids hated it. i told them- the only way to get them to stop ringing is to let our play shut them up. we went up and we ran and hit and ran and hit. the bells stopped at 7-1. then they get two guys on and the bells come back out. we shut them off. our next at bat the bells come out- while we are in the batters box. guess what- we hit and ran and hit and ran. score now is 13-1. the bells kept coming because they thought i was being obnoxious for running up the core and one of them said something to me about it. i ignored the parent. but the opposing coach came out, leaned into the fence and said- "the only reason he is running up the score is to stop the bells. i told you there would be a time when this happens and this is it". no more bells after that except from one defiant mom. i shot her "the look". you know. final score 22-1. as we shook hands every kid on their team apologized about the bells. i apologized to the coach for running it up and he told me "thank you" as he said he was battling this with his parents all season.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  07:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a1prog

at age 12 we played a team and their parents had cow bells. how obnoxious. my kids hated it. i told them- the only way to get them to stop ringing is to let our play shut them up. we went up and we ran and hit and ran and hit. the bells stopped at 7-1. then they get two guys on and the bells come back out. we shut them off. our next at bat the bells come out- while we are in the batters box. guess what- we hit and ran and hit and ran. score now is 13-1. the bells kept coming because they thought i was being obnoxious for running up the core and one of them said something to me about it. i ignored the parent. but the opposing coach came out, leaned into the fence and said- "the only reason he is running up the score is to stop the bells. i told you there would be a time when this happens and this is it". no more bells after that except from one defiant mom. i shot her "the look". you know. final score 22-1. as we shook hands every kid on their team apologized about the bells. i apologized to the coach for running it up and he told me "thank you" as he said he was battling this with his parents all season.

Good for you! Shame on the parents for acting that way while their BOYS were getting pounded.Our coach would have stopped the game and thrown our parents out of the park for something like that...
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  09:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was informed that as of now, cow bells and other noise makers will not be allowed at Nations events run by Superior Baseball events. Thank you Shannon!
Go to Top of Page

4bagger

131 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  17:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw that also with Nations/Superior. GREAT RULE!!
Listen up USSSA and TC (if you can hear over the cow bells) and follow their lead............
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000