New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  21:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is your tried and true for white pants WITH piping?

Someone told me "Iron Out" but then someone else told me that will fade the piping.

I've tried OxyClean - didn't work.

FelsNaptha soap works pretty well but requires a lot of scrubbing.

So let's hear it! What's your formula for bright white baseball pants?

barsred98

116 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  22:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have used Iron Out for last 2 seasons with black piping. No fading and gleaming white pants! How long I soak depends on how ground in the dirt is. 2-4 hours to overnight.

Edited by - barsred98 on 02/13/2011 22:34:06
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  06:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P, iron out is by far the best. If you want to go a step futher, hit all your new pants with 3 coats of Scotch Gaurd before there worn. Then hit your pants again with SG about mid season. It doesn't get better than that! Well, unless you buy new pants...lol
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  07:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still find that Oxy works fine. I soak overnight with a big scoop in HOT water. (Yeah, my mom says that's wrong, but it works...)

If especially muddy, there is a spray called Oxy Max Force that I pre-treat with. It isn't at Kroger, but I believe Walmart has it...

After soaking, I do rub the grubby spots before throwing in the washer on the extra long soak cycle with more Oxy and NEVER put gray or white pants in the dryer just in case I missed something.

I'm thinking it's less about the product and more about the process used.

Because of this process, parents now understand why we wear black on Friday, gray on Saturday and white on Sunday!!!

Edited by - rippit on 02/14/2011 09:58:05
Go to Top of Page

baseballmom44

5 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  10:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use White Brite. We had scrimmage games yesterday I put them in the sink with the White Brite left them soaking will wash them today. The stuff works great and does not fade the stripe in the pants.

Edited by - baseballmom44 on 02/14/2011 10:49:23
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  11:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iron out. Hands down. No scrubbing necessary. I use a 5 gal bucket, put one or two cups of IO in and mix with hot water. Soak pant overnight (in garage or on deck so smell stays outside). Doesn't discolor piping in any way. It WILL completely trash embroidery thread. I have soaked gray, pinstriped, white, piped, etc., pants with no discoloration. I've also soaked tee-shirts and jerseys with no discoloration. If those items had an embroidered logo, for example Rawlings or Mizuno, it was completely faded out, so take care not to use IO on items that are intentionally embroidered with your team logos or numbers. IO doesn't remove grass stains. It is designed to remove iron (which is what makes our GA clay red), so it removes red iron stains, but not brown dirt or grass stains, so you may need to treat those areas with Shout or Spray 'n Wash or another stain remover. Compared to White Brite (made by the same company), White Brite is a whitener and not designed to remove iron or rust, so it will whiten clothes but is not as effective in removing the orange stains, whereas IO is specifically designed to remove rust stains.

Edited by - in_the_know on 02/14/2011 14:16:11
Go to Top of Page

Gold Glove

129 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  12:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PerfectGame

What is your tried and true for white pants WITH piping?

Someone told me "Iron Out" but then someone else told me that will fade the piping.

I've tried OxyClean - didn't work.

FelsNaptha soap works pretty well but requires a lot of scrubbing.

So let's hear it! What's your formula for bright white baseball pants?

I use a 3 step process:

1. Spray with Spray & Wash
2. Pour on OxyClean powder on top of Spray & Wash, creates a mush
3. Sprinkle on Iron Out (not on braid)

With our new frontload washer, I put in the detergent and Iron out in the recepticle, presoak and wash on Hot.

NEVER EVER use dryer if not perfectly clean as it will set in stain.

Mizuno's are the hardest to get and keep clean, Rawlings' are the best. Son has used a pair of Rawlings for an entire year and they look better than Mizuno's look after one game.

I am looking forward to trying Scotchguard this year.
Go to Top of Page

Stinger44

49 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  14:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to use Murphy's Oil Soap. Soak in hot water and wash on the hot setting. Plus, as a bonus, your kid smells like a lumberjack. May not work as well as Iron Out but it works pretty good, have had to double wash a few times.
Go to Top of Page

kaytrishjr

45 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  09:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IRON OUT! That is the best stuff hands down! One warning, it smells very bad, when I soak, I usually put the pants in a bucket in my garage with a lid on it, just be careful not to stick your nose in it. My son also had black piping down the side and it did not fade.
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  22:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do I get the Iron Out? Does Home Depot carry it? It's for plumbing, right?

I tried a new cleaner tonight ... didn't work on the really tough stains. Both pants are drip drying and I'll try again with the Iron Out.

Thanks for all the responses!
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  09:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect, you can get iron out at Kroger. I wish I knew a place where I could get a bigger bottle. I put hot water in plastic bucket then go outside put iron out in, then pants. Don't let any part of pants pop out of water, sometimes I will put a frisbee on top of pants with a jug of water on top to weigh them down. Leave outside, because it will stink bad, all night. The next day ring out then throw in washer and wash. They will look new again.
Go to Top of Page

kaytrishjr

45 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  09:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually found it at Ingles by my house and yes, it's in the plumbing/cleaning section.
Go to Top of Page

mom4baseball

38 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  10:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get iron out at most grocery stores (Publix, Ingles, Kroger bought it all these) and Wal-mart. At wal-mart it can be hard to find sometimes its in the detergent isle other times in the hardware, plumbing area. But you can get the bigger size at wal-mart!
Go to Top of Page

barsred98

116 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  10:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iron Out can usually be found in the plumbing department at Home Depot or Walmart. Have also found it at SOME Publix in the laundry section.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  10:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Where do I get the Iron Out? Does Home Depot carry it? It's for plumbing, right?

I tried a new cleaner tonight ... didn't work on the really tough stains. Both pants are drip drying and I'll try again with the Iron Out.

Kroger carries Iron Out. I've seen it in Ingles as well. You'll find it in the laundry section. Comes in a white plastic bottle, although it is a powder. Very fine powder, so when you're dumping it in your bucket, don't breath any of the dust that floats (you'll know if you do ).

Container is white with red label.

Edited by - in_the_know on 02/17/2011 18:19:19
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  11:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Iron Out at Kroger last week.
Go to Top of Page

Coach D

167 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  12:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get it at Wally World!!Yes in the plumbing section.
Go to Top of Page

Gold Glove

129 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  13:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kroger and Publix, with stain removers in detergent aisle.
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  22:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody had a problem with the Iron Out rusting the metal buttons on pants?

Go to Top of Page

Gold Glove

129 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  10:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Has anybody had a problem with the Iron Out rusting the metal buttons on pants?

Only when the paint has been rubbed off and then the buttons are covered by the belts.

I always buy an extra pair of pants. I figure the time I spend and money for all of the detergents having an extra pair is worth the $30-40 investment.
Go to Top of Page

RJ CJDAD

51 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  14:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is all great but what do you do on the road? We take all of the kids pants to a drive thru car wash and hit them with the pressure washer. We hang them like we would the mats. We scrub with spray n wash then take back to hotel to wash. What does everyone else do?
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  23:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RJ CJDAD

This is all great but what do you do on the road? We take all of the kids pants to a drive thru car wash and hit them with the pressure washer. We hang them like we would the mats. We scrub with spray n wash then take back to hotel to wash. What does everyone else do?

Wear them stained until we get home. They'll be dirty by the end of pre-game warm-ups anyway . . .
Go to Top of Page

catch22

2 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2011 :  06:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used the some stuff i bought from hibbets its in a orange bottle it works great sprayed my sons white pants put them in the washer they came out looking brand new no soaking required
Go to Top of Page

excoach12

159 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  01:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Lord have we not figure out how to wash pants yet!! :)
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  01:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catch I bought that same stuff ... it worked "ok". I used the entire bottle on two pairs of pants and had to wash them both twice. Not all the stains came out and I had to do a LOT of scrubbing on the parts that were really ground in. Ugh.

Smells good though - LOL!

We're going to try the iron out.
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  21:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ex - there are many ways to skin a cat. I was doing a LOT of scrubbing (with Fels Naptha). I wanted a non-scrubbing way to tackle those dirty white pants :)

We're trying the Iron Out tonite ...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000