Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AA17Dad

211 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  08:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

I will admit there are coaches out there that use fear, intimidation, and humiliation to get their point across and they wind up with kids that have ulcers...I'm not talking about THOSE coaches.

I'm talking about the coach that is teaching, the coach that is drawing the best out of every player that he/she can, and yes I'm talking about youth baseball. College and Pro's are the best of the best, and how did they get that way? They were drilled over and over and over until they were nearly flawless. Will they make mistakes yes, but at that level they have already been subjected to running the poles, they took pride in running the poles the least amount, or running it as the leader of the pack.

Should 6 year old's have to drop and give the coach 20, no. Should 12-13-14-15...YES! If they are consistently not performing to expectations what is the solution...just bench them...kick them off the team?

Our society is based on expectations...fall short of the expectations and there are repercussions. Maybe the kid has to write lines, maybe the kid got spanked, maybe the kid had to wear a sign proclaiming what he did....maybe the adult got fired, maybe the adult got arrested...

Fall short of expectations and there are suppose to be consequences, but not a lot of kids from this generation are actually getting that...maybe they should go run some poles.

Your analogy's defy logic. Even with the added effort to quantify your earlier post.

Why would you punish a kid for anything he has given his best effort?

Hitting a baseball is said to be one of the most difficult feats in all of sports. Fail at it 2/3 of the time and you are a Hall Of Famer.....should you be screamed at and punished 2/3 of the time?

Better yet.....Is it constructive? does it make them better?

Sometimes a pitcher has a bad day and can't hit his spots. Sometimes a pitcher is better than the hitters and dominates. Do you really think that being yelled at, humiliated and running poles makes you better at playing baseball.

Yes there are appropriate life lessons to learn in most everything we do, including baseball.

Frank Wren was just fired. Perhaps they should have just had him and BJ run poles, then maybe they would have both earned their pay checks.

A so-called coach that thinks humiliating his team is coaching......is wrong and probably lacks the knowledge to coach.....but fear not, there are plenty of folks like you that will fall for it.

9 times out of 10 it is a coaches/parents ego run amuck.

Coaching requires knowledge. But I have seen plenty of guys that played college/Pros that can not teach the game. It also requires the ability to teach. If your coach has both of those qualities you are off to a good start. Add to those the ability to motivate and inspire and you have a real gem of a coach. Coaching is difficult, it isn't just making the lineup and punishing mistakes and errors.

Trust me, coaching is much more complicated and difficult than punishing. Like I said earlier, any adult can punish a kid....no skill required.

And again. A team that plays loose and with confidence will out perform a more talented team that is playing with the fear of failure.

My apologies to the OP. This one got derailed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000