Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BlueDevilBaseball

68 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  14:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

Blue Devil..I agree. Many people have told me those who are late but bust it to stay in the game come out on top in the end...provided they do actually grow enough eventually.

Hard work is everything imo. It actually scares me the way other people treat my youngest. I've had parents stopping him to take pictures with him at the ball park when he was five. Absolutely absurd! To me, coaches and parents alike should reward hard work, dedication, and consistency. The last thing anyone wants is to leak when they're playing pee wee baseball.

As far as skill sets go, good feet and great hand eye are required. If they have that and work hard, you've got a lasting recipe.
Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  13:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better have quick hands as a hitter too. I have seen the most beautiful swings, but could not catch up to the Mid 80s stuff by HS and I just don't think you can ever fix that.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  13:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a kid at the PG World Showcase this previous weekend that threw 95mph, he sat 92-95. The last time he pitched for PG in July of 2018, he sat 86-89. That is a huge jump and no one could have predicted that, but now he will be getting interest from many MLB teams and will be heavily scouted this spring.

You never know about talent, some show it early and some show it late.
Go to Top of Page

iplaynets

1 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  00:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all...fact is that for a kid to develop to the best of his abilities, he needs lots of competitive reps in game conditions. given that and underlying talent, they can go as far as their own determination will take them. This sounds like a pretty basic premise, doesn't it? But fact is there are too many good players trapped on teams where they aren't playing...coaches favorites or whatever. It may not seem it, but playing on a "lesser" team (still playing the same competition) where they can get in, get the reps, get the confidence and develop is the key. My son played on several underdog teams, they had talent but not the marquee name. They didn't win everything very often, but they were always competitive - they won enough to land on the short list of top teams in the nation. His first team like that was at 13u, 2nd or 3rd best in EC for the age(depending on who you'd ask). That team, who is now 2018 and 2019 grads, had what are now 4 D1 players, 3 in D2 and a couple of Juco this next year. These kids weren't touted as the best, but they were good AND they got the chance to play. Play the best competition on a team that lets them play.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  12:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iplaynets

Hi all...fact is that for a kid to develop to the best of his abilities, he needs lots of competitive reps in game conditions. given that and underlying talent, they can go as far as their own determination will take them. This sounds like a pretty basic premise, doesn't it? But fact is there are too many good players trapped on teams where they aren't playing...coaches favorites or whatever. It may not seem it, but playing on a "lesser" team (still playing the same competition) where they can get in, get the reps, get the confidence and develop is the key. My son played on several underdog teams, they had talent but not the marquee name. They didn't win everything very often, but they were always competitive - they won enough to land on the short list of top teams in the nation. His first team like that was at 13u, 2nd or 3rd best in EC for the age(depending on who you'd ask). That team, who is now 2018 and 2019 grads, had what are now 4 D1 players, 3 in D2 and a couple of Juco this next year. These kids weren't touted as the best, but they were good AND they got the chance to play. Play the best competition on a team that lets them play.

Excellent points. Also important for a kid to follow his passions. If he is a great pitcher the coaches will be tempted to put him in a PO box. That is what has happened to my son. He switched high schools (7A-1A) this year and went from pretty much a PO at the 7A school to a utility player at the 1A school who bats 3rd or 4th....it's been amazing to watch the joy back on his face. He never stopped loving the game, but he wasn't happy in his PO box. We may drop him down a level for summer so he can play more. His pitching is major level, but his heart isn't just on the mound.
Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  13:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CaCo3Girl, I said this to you years ago. "I think you are in for a shock when your son gets to HS."
You were one of the first to defended HS coaches even bashed people that moved their kids from HS teams and I knew this day would come.
Not saying I enjoy it but I think you are starting to understand. Just think you might want to look back at some of your post not just to me but to others and see some of the things you said and put yourself in those people's positions with what your son has gone through.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  09:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 743

CaCo3Girl, I said this to you years ago. "I think you are in for a shock when your son gets to HS."
You were one of the first to defended HS coaches even bashed people that moved their kids from HS teams and I knew this day would come.
Not saying I enjoy it but I think you are starting to understand. Just think you might want to look back at some of your post not just to me but to others and see some of the things you said and put yourself in those people's positions with what your son has gone through.

My son is a junior, and I didn't move him so he could play baseball...THAT is the huge difference there. I would never move a kid so he/she could play. My son changed schools because he needed more structure, less coddling from teachers, less chances to find loopholes, so he's now at a military school.

While he was at the 7A school he played where he could play. He wasn't one of the best outfielders in a school of 2500; that's just a fact. The coaches played the best kids, and they had a very good record of producing wins and going decently far in the playoffs. I would still defend his former high school coach and his choices regarding my son. Seemed like a very fair guy who played who he thought would bring home the win. That IS his job, and my sons job in his old high school was as a PO.

So no, I haven't changed my mind on high school coaches or about transferring schools to play baseball. My experience, and my son's experience, was par for the course. If you aren't the best you don't get to play; and moving schools and peer groups based on playing is still ludicrous in my mind. I'm very happy he loves baseball, but it was a bonus that he got to play right away because it's a boarding school so the one year waiting period is waived; it wasn't a deciding factor, it didn't even come into play until they asked him if he played a sport. I had to ship him his equipment, because we had no idea.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  11:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can word it anyway you want but this was another post you made "I still don't get it. Yes, my son has aspirations of D1, and even MLB if he can get there, but this is high school. Baseball is 5 months out of the year, as long as the coach isn't doing anything to phsycially hurt the kids why change the entire school? Better yet, if the guy is such a tool then people in the business know he is a tool and you just don't play HS baseball, the recruiters would understand, heck the poster said he knew kids cut their senior year and they played D1.

Changing houses and or schools for baseball seems WAY over the top. I get that the guy was a tool, I'm not saying the post was exaggerated, but leaving all the people the kid has gone to school with for what 10 years because of baseball? Baseball is important to my son, VERY important, but I wouldn't help him or let him switch schools because of it.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  07:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane

You can word it anyway you want but this was another post you made "I still don't get it. Yes, my son has aspirations of D1, and even MLB if he can get there, but this is high school. Baseball is 5 months out of the year, as long as the coach isn't doing anything to phsycially hurt the kids why change the entire school? Better yet, if the guy is such a tool then people in the business know he is a tool and you just don't play HS baseball, the recruiters would understand, heck the poster said he knew kids cut their senior year and they played D1.

Changing houses and or schools for baseball seems WAY over the top. I get that the guy was a tool, I'm not saying the post was exaggerated, but leaving all the people the kid has gone to school with for what 10 years because of baseball? Baseball is important to my son, VERY important, but I wouldn't help him or let him switch schools because of it.

YUP! Still agree with myself :- )

I'll say again, yes my son switched schools but baseball had zero to do with it. I didn't even know they were in the GHSA when I signed him up for military school. I literally had to mail him his glove, cleats, and bat bag. Does that sound like he switched schools for baseball?
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  09:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason "WHY" is irrelevant. You did what you thought was best for YOUR son and no one should question that decision.

Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  09:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I am doing is quoting something you wrote years ago " He is a current sophomore, and no I wouldn't transfer him. While baseball is very important to him, and there is zero doubt in his mind that he will be playing it for a long time, I won't let it define him. He is my son first and a baseball player second.

I didn't do Atkins, I don't Feng Shui my house, and I'm not buying into this new fad of "my life sucks, I'll just switch schools". I live on a certain road in a certain town and it is zoned for a specific school. THAT is my kids school. If he doesn't make the team then he doesn't. Why is that the end of the world to some people? He will still be on a top summer team and the recruiters will know what's up with his HS coach, it's not a large circle.

The only acceptable reason I have heard for switching schools is that the kids current school didn't offer the IB program, so entering into 9th grade the boy went to a different school. THAT kid is special, most aren't. I'd rather teach my kid to roll with the punches and make lemonade, rather than "There is always a way out of it,I can just sue people, or bully people, or finagle others to get my way", which is becoming a pretty big problem in the world."

"I'd rather teach my kid to roll with the punches and make lemonade, rather than "There is always a way out of it"

I am just trying to say, everyone has their own situation and only those in those situations know exactly what is going on. But you always commented like you had it all figured out and knew what others were going though or what was best for them to do. I am just glad your son is enjoying baseball and school.
Go to Top of Page

baseball713

60 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  11:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I don't see any issues with Caco's response. It's consistent with what she said in the past. Her point is that there are a lot of valid reasons to switch schools, and baseball is not one of those valid reasons. She made clear that baseball wasn't even a consideration when her son switched to military school. She didn't even know her son is going to be able to play baseball when he switched. Not sure why you all are giving her a hard time.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  14:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseball713

Hmm, I don't see any issues with Caco's response. It's consistent with what she said in the past. Her point is that there are a lot of valid reasons to switch schools, and baseball is not one of those valid reasons. She made clear that baseball wasn't even a consideration when her son switched to military school. She didn't even know her son is going to be able to play baseball when he switched. Not sure why you all are giving her a hard time.

Thank you!

I did change my mind on one thing...I sort of did a modified atkins and lost 90 pounds, so there ya go. I did change my mind on that.

I will never change my mind that playing sport is a valid reason to uproot a kid. Kind of funny @hurricane chose that post. My kid was trying to "always get out of it, and finagling others to get his way"....that in a nutshell was why I transferred him. He needed more structure, and less wiggle room with well meaning teachers that fell for his smile and charm.

Believe me, where he is now there is ZERO charm leeway given, LOL! You have to work for what you get. It's been about 5 weeks and he still isn't allowed to have a cell phone...why...because he isn't doing what he needs to do! Cell phones are a privilege, not a right. If he misses assignments, he doesn't get a pass to leave for the weekend to come home or go with a friend.

And yet....I have never heard from him once that he doesn't like it there! Yes they are strict, yes he has to bring his food to his mouth in a certain way or he has to do 20 pushups in the mess hall....but not once has he said he doesn't like it. He knew he was messing up and he knew he was getting away with far too much. I do believe he was on a precipice of who he was going to be as an adult, and he was tipping the wrong way.

Do I EVER EVER EVER think that precipice can be defined by if a kid is being played by his coach at his high school??? NOPE! But hey, if you think whether or not your kid gets to play baseball at his high school will have a drastic effect on what kind of adult he will become....hey, not like I can stop you from transferring him.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  15:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Bye, Felicia"
MY LAST POST FOREVER!
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  06:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luckily for society, we don't all think the same way and what I feel is important may or may not be what is important to you. So, the main point to all of this is "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS" and don't worry about what other people are doing with THEIR kids.

Also, I find it a little hard to believe that you did not research the school that you sent your son to; especially, since you are paying for private tuition. Judging from your prior posts, that does not seem like your personality. I say that to only mention that any private school you look at has athletics as one of their tabs to click on and it goes in to great detail of all the programs they offer.
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  07:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Military school......whoa.

No trolling here, your kid...if like me is everything. You do what you have to in order to raise them right and get them set up for life. I've had two very separate paths with my two kids and learned valuable lessons with both. The internet is forever and i think folks get wound a bit too tight sometimes. I hope he gets on track there, college...unless military as well will be lots of freedom and depending on the distance from home could be terrifying for you. Keep us updated CaCo and way to go on the 90lbs!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  09:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bama21

Luckily for society, we don't all think the same way and what I feel is important may or may not be what is important to you. So, the main point to all of this is "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS" and don't worry about what other people are doing with THEIR kids.

Also, I find it a little hard to believe that you did not research the school that you sent your son to; especially, since you are paying for private tuition. Judging from your prior posts, that does not seem like your personality. I say that to only mention that any private school you look at has athletics as one of their tabs to click on and it goes in to great detail of all the programs they offer.

I knew I wanted a more structured environment, but wasn't sure where that was. I contacted a bunch of people, read their BBB profile, internet reviews....my goal was to make sure he was going to a school and not a prison. The athletics didn't make my search, although I did see they had them, but didn't know they were a legit GHSA school. Their page talks a lot about club sports...anyway, it wasn't on my top 5 things to check for with my limited time. Switching schools mid February of his Junior year...I was under a time crunch, as were they to get the funding approved. He's always responded well to the harda$$ type coaches, I was hoping military school would suit him, turns out it did, thank goodness.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  13:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not judging, just didn't figure you as an impulsive type.

I hope it all works out for your son.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  07:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bama21

Not judging, just didn't figure you as an impulsive type.

I hope it all works out for your son.

Rarely am I impulsive, you are absolutely correct. I tend to look at things 5 ways before I make a decision. Sadly, the only conclusion I could come to was a military school. There are only 2 in GA, that narrowed my choices. I treated it like a pitched ball, I chose one and it was yes, yes, yes...didn't get to the no part in the 2 days I had so that is where he went. Thank you for the well wishes.
Go to Top of Page

Newbie BB Mom

141 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  09:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl
Also important for a kid to follow his passions. If he is a great pitcher the coaches will be tempted to put him in a PO box. That is what has happened to my son. He switched high schools (7A-1A) this year and went from pretty much a PO at the 7A school to a utility player at the 1A school who bats 3rd or 4th....it's been amazing to watch the joy back on his face. He never stopped loving the game, but he wasn't happy in his PO box. We may drop him down a level for summer so he can play more. His pitching is major level, but his heart isn't just on the mound.

I don't know. While CaCo didn't move her son to a new school for baseball, this move seems to have turned out to be very beneficial for her son's baseball. He wasn't happy playing at his old high school because the coach put him in the PO box. This new coach has put "the joy back" in her son's face. That's pretty powerful.
For some kids, this change might make the difference between continuing to play long enough to "get to the next level" and throwing in the towel. For some, it might also make the difference between liking school and not liking school or fitting in and not fitting in, etc.

I wouldn't judge another parent for changing schools if they have that option, whatever their reason. Some high school baseball situations are toxic. We've had a few parents over the years share some pretty extreme stories. Not saying that was CaCo's experience, but I don't think anyone should be quick to judge another parent's decisions about what's best for their kid.

ETA: CaCo, so glad to hear you son is doing well in his new environment AND loving baseball!

Edited by - Newbie BB Mom on 03/27/2019 10:30:31
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2019 :  20:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to defend Ca here on the point of baseball...if she was switching because of baseball, there would be absolutely ZERO reason to pay an astronomical military boarding school tuition to drop from 7A to 1A just for playing time. More than abundant 2A or 3A private schools in the metro area where his situation would have improved. That said everyone must make their own choices. It seems ridculous to change for baseball but it's no ones place to judge. I remember a poster on here years ago who moved because their son wasnt going to play then moved and went on to play at the highest level and have huge succese. We all do whats best.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000