Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 What makes a "GOOD/BAD" coach in your opinion?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  11:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There have been several threads across multiple age groups on this site with phrases like "if your kids coach does XXX then he isn't a good coach"...OR...."My kids coach did XXX, that's how you can tell he is a good coach"

So, I think it's time to share your stories on what the term Good/Bad coach means to you....hopefully we can have several "Good" stories, and not just bad ones.

I'll go first...to me a "good" coach is someone who stands firm on his rules.

For example, if my *12+ age* kid forgets his jersey...even if it is the championship game of a well respected tournament...even if my kid is best pitcher that coach has EVER seen....my child will be sat that game to teach him the lesson that ONLY he is responsible for his belongings and by not taking the time to check he had everything he has let himself and his team down...i.e. a valuable life lesson that will stick with him for years, if not his life.

A "bad" coach would take the jersey off someone else's back and change my kids number for that game just so he could play.

Footballforsanity

14 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  14:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the easiest question of them all. A GOOD COACH, values and respects the player. Meaning, a good Coach believes the player brings value to the team and should be respected for the effort being made. The good Coach knows the player personally and takes an interest in the player's well being and success and is of service to further that success. A BAD COACH, does not value the player and does not respect the effort being made. The bad coach really doesn't know the player nor does the bad coach care to. The bad coach has zero interest in the player's success, it's all about him/her (the bad coach). The hard part is making sure you find the first scenario for your athlete, and if you spot the second to get the heck away from that coach ASAP...

Edited by - Footballforsanity on 04/03/2015 14:10:36
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  14:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

For example, if my *12+ age* kid forgets his jersey...even if it is the championship game of a well respected tournament...even if my kid is best pitcher that coach has EVER seen....my child will be sat that game to teach him the lesson that ONLY he is responsible for his belongings and by not taking the time to check he had everything he has let himself and his team down...i.e. a valuable life lesson that will stick with him for years, if not his life.

A "bad" coach would take the jersey off someone else's back and change my kids number for that game just so he could play.

Don't have time to get into all the good/bad stuff right now, but a comment on this. I have seen several times one of my son's college teammates forget a jersey. He wore a teammates jersey for the game.

Good lesson to learn for the young kids, but it's not the end of the world. Don't forget, if the kid isn't playing and he is a contributor, coach is punishing all the kids on the team for a mistake made by a young kid. And maybe it was the parent who "forgot" to bring the correct jersey to start. Just sayin'.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  09:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To each their own bballman. I think College is a bit different as there is actual money involved from the school to the scholarships, I am talking about travel ball kids.

I can't speak for all teens but as for my own son I find it more and more difficult to instill a sense of responsibility in him. Yes he has chores, but it isn't like getting up at 5am to help with the farm and secure the crops so the family doesn't starve. One of the "responsibilities" I have been adamant about is that he is responsible for his baseball gear and uniform since about age 8. I will tell him what his uniform is that day, watch him lay it out, but if he forgets something then that is on him. I will not carry his gear, and he is responsible for his drinks. It's not much, but it's what I have to work with at the moment.

My point on a good/bad coach was one that would promote this responsibility and not give my son a way to get out of it, such as taking a jersey off another child so my kid can play. I have run into this problem before where my son had a school issue at age 9 and I explained the school issue to the coach, asked the coach if it was possible to sit him, coach agreed and then the game got tight and poof my kid was sent in. I don't think that taught a very good lesson.
Go to Top of Page

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  22:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Footballforsanity

This is the easiest question of them all. A GOOD COACH, values and respects the player. Meaning, a good Coach believes the player brings value to the team and should be respected for the effort being made. The good Coach knows the player personally and takes an interest in the player's well being and success and is of service to further that success. A BAD COACH, does not value the player and does not respect the effort being made. The bad coach really doesn't know the player nor does the bad coach care to. The bad coach has zero interest in the player's success, it's all about him/her (the bad coach). The hard part is making sure you find the first scenario for your athlete, and if you spot the second to get the heck away from that coach ASAP...

I agree!
Go to Top of Page

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  22:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

quote:

Don't have time to get into all the good/bad stuff right now, but a comment on this. I have seen several times one of my son's college teammates forget a jersey. He wore a teammates jersey for the game.

Good lesson to learn for the young kids, but it's not the end of the world. Don't forget, if the kid isn't playing and he is a contributor, coach is punishing all the kids on the team for a mistake made by a young kid. And maybe it was the parent who "forgot" to bring the correct jersey to start. Just sayin'.

I agree with this as well.

Edited by - SuperStar on 04/07/2015 22:37:40
Go to Top of Page

BaseKnock

29 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  16:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was an assistant to a "bad" coach for part of one season. This coach would seek out and bring on stronger players and bench the ones he didn't think were as good. In no uncertain terms he told me he'd stop playing a particular kid when Johnny Stud came onboard and hoped the parents would take their kid and leave. These were really good kids and supportive parents he was doing this to. By the end of the year he maxed out his USSSA 25 man roster limit.

Word to the wise, look at a coaches roster from previous years. If they have a lot of kids who have come and gone let it be a red flag.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  08:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaseKnock

I was an assistant to a "bad" coach for part of one season. This coach would seek out and bring on stronger players and bench the ones he didn't think were as good. In no uncertain terms he told me he'd stop playing a particular kid when Johnny Stud came onboard and hoped the parents would take their kid and leave. These were really good kids and supportive parents he was doing this to. By the end of the year he maxed out his USSSA 25 man roster limit.

Word to the wise, look at a coaches roster from previous years. If they have a lot of kids who have come and gone let it be a red flag.

Wow, very good point!
Go to Top of Page

bkball

173 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  11:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Footballforsanity has some great ones.
I would say a good coach makes it about the kids not himself. He doesn't care about the scoreboard or wins and loses as long as the players respect the game and play hard and hustle.
Good coaches let physical mistakes slide but really don't like mental mistakes or lack of effort. They stick with the roster they were dealt with, keep studying the game and learning about it.
Earn the respect of the players. I think in the example above player forgets his jersey. Not knowing all the circumstances hard to say, but maybe grandma misplaced it or took it out of his bag to wash and he didnt know, maybe dad was suppose to grab it because parents are divorced. who knows. At 12 I tried to play everyone in some capacity, I say a good coach would find a way to get that kid in the game by maybe talking to the other coach or umpire and seeing if they would agree he could wear something similar who knows.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  12:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good coach, to me, is a teacher of the game... One who actually provides instruction and a 'learning' environment. Also, this coach makes the 'tough' decisions that are based on what's best for the team-- which may not be his son in the starting lineup or his buddy's son, or the person who forked over the most money. This coach, is not only a good instructor, but he motivates and gets the most out of each player on every play, in every inning, in every game. The boys respect him enough to lay it all on the line every time. This coach is also a great 'game day coordinator'. He's aware of what's going on, he's planning, he almost always seems to make the right 'in-game' decisions at the right time.
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  17:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

A good coach, to me, is a teacher of the game... One who actually provides instruction and a 'learning' environment. Also, this coach makes the 'tough' decisions that are based on what's best for the team-- which may not be his son in the starting lineup or his buddy's son, or the person who forked over the most money. This coach, is not only a good instructor, but he motivates and gets the most out of each player on every play, in every inning, in every game. The boys respect him enough to lay it all on the line every time. This coach is also a great 'game day coordinator'. He's aware of what's going on, he's planning, he almost always seems to make the right 'in-game' decisions at the right time.

Agree!
Go to Top of Page

agent21

97 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  00:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good coach is man enough not to blame, belittle and yell at his players for a loss. He encourages rather than discourages them to do better.
Go to Top of Page

bkball

173 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  07:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bravemom great post, I forgot about the actual instruction and in game coaching!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  13:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by agent21

A good coach is man enough not to blame, belittle and yell at his players for a loss. He encourages rather than discourages them to do better.

I agree with not belittling players at every age group. At 12u+ not sure you can get around blaming and yelling about a loss. Is it ever one play that cost the game, no, never. But if you have 2 hits the whole game and 3 errors there is going to be some blame to go around, usually accompanied by some yelling, or at least a stern voice. I would say the encouraging to do better is a staple, after the coach points out the major flaws of the day...not by individual kid, but a general "No bats"..."team inability to make consistent plays"...etc.
Go to Top of Page

bkball

173 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  14:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good coach takes the blame for a loss and gives the credit for the win to the team. If your team only got 2 hits then yeah tip your hat to the pitcher of the other team. What good does blaming anyone do anyway.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  08:52:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bkball

A good coach takes the blame for a loss and gives the credit for the win to the team. If your team only got 2 hits then yeah tip your hat to the pitcher of the other team. What good does blaming anyone do anyway.

Not sure I can agree with this...I have seen games where the other pitcher was decent but not only 2 hits worthy...sometimes the bats of the players just don't show up. Is that kudos to the pitcher, or more batting practice for the team?

And while I agree the team earned the win it is often how they are played that gets them there in the end.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  07:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good coach/organization, it's hard to separate the two in my opinion, sticks with the kids that he/it originally chose for the team. Aside from injuries, there is no reason teams should be picking up players and then start those pickups while the other kids sit. Win, lose, or draw you go with what you got. The best coaches/organizations develop kids, while the not so great want kids already developed.

It's always funny to me and ironic at the same time, at the younger ages you always see coaches wanting the bigger kids that have already hit puberty or close too it. Then when they get older you hear college/pro scouts wanting kids that look young with a lot of upside. Go figure.
Go to Top of Page

PlayitRight

1 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  07:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good discussion. I would like to add that a good coach has integrity and doesn't accept less from his assistant coaches or scorekeeper.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  15:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CaCO3Girl no offense but you are way too serious about 12 year old baseball.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  16:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HITANDRUN

I'm sure you stare at my posts the same way I stare at 9u posts...I'm guessing it's all a matter of perspective, you have it regarding 12u, I don't....funny enough I'm the laid back parent on the team! :- )

Please share what you think makes a good/bad coach.
Go to Top of Page

ItsGodGiven

70 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  19:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No such thing as a good coach...never met one. At least not one every parent on a team likes. Impossible to find the perfect coach. Each have their pros and cons...
Go to Top of Page

Newbie BB Mom

141 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  10:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HITANDRUN

I'm sure you stare at my posts the same way I stare at 9u posts...I'm guessing it's all a matter of perspective, you have it regarding 12u, I don't....funny enough I'm the laid back parent on the team! :- )

Please share what you think makes a good/bad coach.

You know, I have to say something about this. Why do you think, out of all the people who post here, that CaCO3Girl is the one that is way too serious? Her observations and questions are always thoughtful. She starts conversations about some of the most challenging aspects of being a parent navigating the travel ball world. She usually is looking for perspective and advice, and she tries to share what she's learned from her own personal experiences. I think she is much more balanced than the folks who obsess over which of the "real" major-level 12U teams belong in the top ten, or the top five, or the top three and which teams will make it to the finals on Sunday. Those are the people that take 12U baseball way too seriously, or, perhaps more accurately, are taking the wrong things seriously.

In my opinion, of course. And, no I do not know CaCo3Girl. This is just my take from reading her posts over the last 2 years.
Go to Top of Page

GaBaseballFamily

3 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  13:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ItsGodGiven: I agree that most coaches can't please everyone. My son has played multiple sports for years and had an exceptional experience with his basketball coach last season. The coach had two highly competitive teams and every player and family loved the guy. He took a genuine interest in each kid and took the time to develop his players. This guy is gifted both as a professional player and as a leader. We also had a similar experience years ago with a rec baseball coach and a travel baseball coach last season. There are some greats out there, but they are the exception.

A great coach connects with his/her team, instills a love of the game, and inspires players to reach their potential. They are in it for the right reasons and have no hidden agendas. I wish I knew years ago what I know today; we could have avoided some unfortunate situations. We have worked with mostly good coaches, a couple we would have been better off without and some exceptionally great ones.

Edited by - GaBaseballFamily on 05/20/2015 13:49:43
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  15:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaBaseballFamily

A great coach connects with his/her team, instills a love of the game, and inspires players to reach their potential. They are in it for the right reasons and have no hidden agendas.

I like this.

And I don't think that whether everyone on a team likes the coach is a measure of whether he is a good coach or not. If no one likes him, it could be a sign, but having a small group of parents who are not happy is NOT a sign of a bad coach.
Go to Top of Page

GaBaseballFamily

3 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  19:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you BBallman; just saying that it is possible for a coach to be liked and respected by all the parents and players. I agree that is not the only measure nor should it be. IMHO, one of the most important qualities of a good coach is inspiring his players to reach their potential. Same applies to any great leader.

Edited by - GaBaseballFamily on 05/20/2015 20:51:19
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  21:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaBaseballFamily

IMHO, one of the most important qualities of a good coach is inspiring his players to reach their potential.

I agree with this. I think a coach can inspire someone to be their best and the player still not necessarily "like" the coach. I've heard countless stories where a player did not get along with or necessarily like a coach, but years later had stated that coach pushed them to their limits and made them a much better player. Probably for the younger ages - like 10 & under, it may be important that the player likes the coach more. Helps that kid stay in the game. As they get older, I think it matters less and less.

My initial statement was more to ItsGodGiven's post about parents liking the coach. I don't think it really matters at all whether a parent likes the coach. A coach is there to coach the kids. He's not there to coach the parents or get them to like him. Once again, more and more evident as the kids get older. If a coach is trying to please parents, that's when you really get into politics and daddyball. It has no place on the baseball field. JMHO.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000