New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RACGOFAR

208 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  22:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Year two and they want to ding us for $5 to park. That's ridiculous. It's not Six Flags or Disney, it's a baseball complex. So if I have to pay to park at Lakepoint, I'm boycotting their concessions and I won't spend a dime at vendor booth while I'm there. I suggest everybody else who thinks paying to park at a tourney is over the top to do the same.

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  22:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe players can park for free. So let them drop you off outside, then they go park :-)
Go to Top of Page

agent21

97 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2015 :  11:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure what will happen if the LP gestapo sees you in the park without a wristband and/or if you try to "walk in" the parking lot.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  11:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Rac. It's either total greed or the place is already having financial issues.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2015 :  09:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, talk about role reversal there DecaturDad...lol! Do I have to remember to get his gear and drinks out of the car when he drops me off?
Go to Top of Page

rwatters01

1 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2015 :  10:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was there last weekend (Memorial Day)and thought the same. this is the second year I have been to LP and have not seen a flagpole with an American Flag hanging either. I asked three different employees and could not get an answer as to why. Isn't baseball an "American" sport? and especially on Memorial Day Weekend!
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1431 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  09:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rwatters01

I was there last weekend (Memorial Day)and thought the same. this is the second year I have been to LP and have not seen a flagpole with an American Flag hanging either. I asked three different employees and could not get an answer as to why. Isn't baseball an "American" sport? and especially on Memorial Day Weekend!

I thought this was a valid point, so I brought it up on another message board where the owner of Perfect Game frequents. Here was his response:

"Originally Posted by PGStaff:
Bballman,
Thanks, it is a good idea! We will take care of the flag issue. Personally, being a veteran, I still love to see the flag at all ball parks. It is important and we're going to do It. Can't believe we haven't already done that."

Go to Top of Page

HSbballdadx3

4 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  00:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$5.00 to park at Lake Pointe?? Wow. I've only been there a few times but don't remember paying to park. I won't be purchasing from concession this weekend if I have to pay to park.
Go to Top of Page

oldschooldad

203 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  11:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Park fee is crazy! Is it new this season? Do they have an area for dropping off players with out paying to park? Plenty of kids aren't driving yet
Go to Top of Page

bball2008

100 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  20:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldschooldad

Park fee is crazy! Is it new this season? Do they have an area for dropping off players with out paying to park? Plenty of kids aren't driving yet

During the Memorial Day tournament they were stopping you right when you turn into the lot to collect the parking fee. This is well before you get to the drop off area.

Might be cheaper to rent a team van to haul everyone into the park.
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  07:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't pay the fee, don't show up or pay the fee...all choices. Boycotting the concessions is the smartest thing you can do other than not showing up and paying at all. They have everyone by the shorthairs and they know it. Remember this, we are locals and accustomed to this weather and the ability to play at East Cobb etc...the folks up north are starved for baseball, considering time and weather or lack there of, so they are ITCHING to pay whatever they have to....and play at a facility like Lakepoint.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  10:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried having the player drive and parent in the passenger seat? We have a game there tonight and may try that.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  10:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, I don't get the problem, maybe it's because I'm from up North where people in NY city have to actually purchase a parking spot for their own car! The parking lot at Lakepoint is a convenient place to park to get entry into the park, they built it and they have to maintain it, so they are charging for the upkeep and you are paying for the convenience.

Once you are in the park you pay to get into the park for the privilege of getting to see amazing fields, great stands where you can buy baseball geared items, and lets not forget the stadium seating with shade they have supplied....So you have to pay another $5 to get to see your kid play, and if he has another game that day you are exempt from paying the entry fee at that park.

The Lakepoint people built an amazing place that will keep getting better but it costs money and they are transferring just a tiny bit of that cost to the people who use it. I don't get why people are upset by this.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  15:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CaCO3Girl,

I don't have a problem paying the $10 per day to get in. My son will potentially be playing a perfect game event on 36 different days this summer. I expect to pay close to $300 just to get in to watch. That is part of the business and I completely understand.

I have a hard time with Parking. If parking was hard to find, I would understand. I also grew up in New England and you plan ahead to park. North Georgia is not the same. It is like paying to park at the mall.

Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  21:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oddly enough we did not pay to park yesterday around 5:30pm. Turned in and saw a procession of 4 employees. The first waved us on, the second did as well and no one acted like they were there to collect $ so the driver just kept going and found a place to park. No one chased us down. It was weird. Any ideas about that??
Go to Top of Page

seminole tony

147 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  23:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drop off the gear at the rugby field, park at the Chic Fil a, buy lunch and walk on down.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2015 :  17:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seminole tony

Drop off the gear at the rugby field, park at the Chic Fil a, buy lunch and walk on down.

And if they go out of business because it's not financially sustainable, start complaining about East Cobb again.
Go to Top of Page

jacjacatk

154 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  00:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AllStar

quote:

And if they go out of business because it's not financially sustainable, start complaining about East Cobb again.

Please. If $5 parking fees are the difference between making it and not, it was never going to make it anyway.

They charge the fees they charge, and the prices they do for concessions, because they can. And if people think it's excessive they certainly have the option, as paying customers, to point it out and try to get it changed.
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  08:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and those freakin scoreboards that NEVER work!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  09:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DecaturDad

CaCO3Girl,

I don't have a problem paying the $10 per day to get in. My son will potentially be playing a perfect game event on 36 different days this summer. I expect to pay close to $300 just to get in to watch. That is part of the business and I completely understand.

I have a hard time with Parking. If parking was hard to find, I would understand. I also grew up in New England and you plan ahead to park. North Georgia is not the same. It is like paying to park at the mall.

I didn't see much parking other than the parking lot that Lakepoint made. I saw trees, hills, and a whole lot of nature. I imagine it cost a pretty penny to bulldoze that area and have it paved, and other than the surrounding hotels (that don't actually exist yet), the chick-fil-a parking lot and the Love's gas station...all I saw were trees, where is this plentiful parking you are writing about?

I also don't think of it like parking at the mall, more like parking at six flags or white water, maybe the Braves stadium...oh wait, they charge to park their too...never mind :- )
Go to Top of Page

Newbie BB Mom

141 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  11:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacjacatk

quote:
Originally posted by AllStar

quote:

Please. If $5 parking fees are the difference between making it and not, it was never going to make it anyway.

They charge the fees they charge, and the prices they do for concessions, because they can. And if people think it's excessive they certainly have the option, as paying customers, to point it out and try to get it changed.

Amen. We try not to use Perfect Game's concession stand because (a) I already paid to both park and get in; and (b) I'm not inclined to spend $11 for a $7 Chic-Fil-A meal.

It's a free country. They are free to try to fleece me, and I'm free to complain about it. And to vote with my feet (as Clark Howard likes to say).

From a business perspective, the parking fee seems shortsighted. Honestly, if they dropped the parking fee, I'd be more inclined to spend money at their concession stand (and at all the other money traps they've set up there, including the gauntlet of container stores and the sports photography), and they'd probably come out way ahead. But this blatant money grab just gets my goat and closes my wallet.

Also, as to this argument that Lake Point and Perfect Game are separate entities, and we're blaming the wrong one, these two outfits are operating a going concern together. While any one of us probably can't get Lake Point to stop charging money to park in their lot, I'm pretty sure Perfect Game has Lake Point's ear. If the parking-fee backlash is strong enough, Perfect Game will have a reason to talk to Lake Point's management about this. We're putting the pressure in the right place.
Go to Top of Page

jacjacatk

154 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2015 :  17:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newbie BB Mom

From a business perspective, the parking fee seems shortsighted. Honestly, if they dropped the parking fee, I'd be more inclined to spend money at their concession stand (and at all the other money traps they've set up there, including the gauntlet of container stores and the sports photography), and they'd probably come out way ahead. But this blatant money grab just gets my goat and closes my wallet.

So true. I occasionally bought from their (overpriced) concessions last year, but haven't so far this year (and won't if I can avoid it).

And, FWIW, I'm not paying the parking after the first time, either. They don't charge players to park, and I don't pay insurance on a 16yo driver to not take advantage of his driving when it'll save me $5/day. He drops me off, I walk in, he parks.
Go to Top of Page

prestont

197 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2015 :  17:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All - it gets MUCH better. All I can say is...... OMG!!!!

My sons team played at Lakepoint today. We paid to park earlier this week when I drove, so we let my 15yo drive into the parking lot today based on the communication that Players are not charged to park.

All 4 of the kids collecting $s for parking waved us through. Evidently the last of the 4 noticed my wife and I in the car, and tried to walk after us as we approached the player drop off area. They returned to their post, and we parked 2 aisles over. After the first 3 kids waved my son thru - we honestly thought that players DID NOT have to pay to park.

After my sons game today we return to my car to find an Emerson citation for CRIMINAL TRESPASS on the front windshield.

Guess its easier to call the Emerson Police department over $5. I honestly feel bad that a policeman had to come out to the ballpark when our understanding is that players parked free. The Perfect Game employees taking $10 per day from everyone also said it was their understanding that players parked free too.

Coincidentally enough, there is absolutely no mention of a Lakepoint parking policy on their website.

Concession prices are exorbitant, but calling the police for criminal trespass where there is no published policy is truly over the top.

I'm truly amazed.....

Edited by - prestont on 06/11/2015 18:03:43
Go to Top of Page

jacjacatk

154 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  01:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'd be interesting to go to court on this one. If they don't ask you to pay, and don't tell you that you're trespassing by not paying, and don't have a written policy anywhere (the closest I've seen is the e-mail that says the parking fee is $5 on the notice on the PG tournament sites that say that's the fee, which they obviously aren't enforcing uniformly), will a judge actually force you to pay?

Maybe I'll get to find out if they do the same with me this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

LLH

98 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  07:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There would be no Lake Point without Perfect Game. I've never been to the LP website because I just look at PG. This is listed on the PG site for each tournament.

GATE PRICES:
All Tournament Pass (entry to all games during week) - $60/person
Daily Pass (entry to all games during specific day) - $10/person
Children 14 and younger are free.
Official Tournament Program - $5

Parking: $5 (LakePoint complex only. This is standard LakePoint Sports policy.)

The last thing I want to do is pay $15 to see 1 game but we have no choice if we continue to play PG. I have been paying gate fees for the last 9 years and all I can say is I will be happy to stop giving my money to PG.
Next year I just get to give it to somebody else even as we move to the next level there is still a ticket to buy to get in.
Hopefully for everyone that is playing PG this is the problem your hoping for also.
Go to Top of Page

seminole tony

147 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  20:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the crowds screaming about how $hitty East Cobb ball fields were? Scoreboards that didn't work? BAD bathrooms? Home field advantage to all their teams?
Well, Lake Point doesn't have those problems(yet)but you're paying for it now.
As I said earlier, Grab a bite to eat at the restaurant down the road after you drop off the gear, leave a wrapper(or bag as cover)in the front seat and hike on down to the ball game. Or as someone else said, have your son drop you off and park the car. Second one sounds the easiest.
What happened to the good ole days when you could park for free, tailgate with the boys in between games with a cooler of drinks and a box of chicken? Setting up the pop up tent in a shady spot while the boys roamed the ball park. Dads comparing notes on the upcoming match ups. Moms seeing who could out spirit wear the other moms of the bunch.
I'm done with it now, but this was some of our fondest memories.

Edited by - seminole tony on 06/12/2015 21:25:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-20 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000