15-18 General Discussion
 ECB High School teams
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hitithere

13 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  09:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who have kids on the ECB high school teams. Any insight to costs, number of practice days, and allotment of playing time so far?

With so many kids on HS rosters, playing time can be limited if nonexistent. Daily practice with the team is good and representing your school is cool as well but game action is what is needed to improve no?

For whatever reason, politics, coach pettiness, my little Johnny is not as good as I think he is, etc. my kid appears to be just a check to the booster club and a foul ball retriever.

Looking for possible alternative to keep the love of the game alive for a few more years because it aint happening at this particular HS.

ChinMusic

120 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  08:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check with the ECB Eagles. They have contact info on the High School Team Openings link towards the bottom of the main page. I believe those team are primarily home school kids (or others) not playing HS ball.
Go to Top of Page

excoach12

159 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  17:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of home schooled kids on those teams and thank God for it. Mines not one of them but he played on an EC high school team this spring and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
I made a couple entries on these blogs in support of playing for your high school as it seemed important to represent your school.
Now I greatly regret that support.
If you think your kid is just a check to the boosters you are 1000% correct. Yes, there are a few very strong players and they will be the starters and play all the time and be the golden boys, but everyone else is filler the "coaches" put up with who they really would prefer not to waste their time on.
Hey! Know of any teams with players you know and you scratch your head as to why they are on the team? I do. I coached the kids when they were younger. Betcha their check for fees was "accidently" slightly more than the requested amount but they said to just keep it. ;)
While the vast majority of my sons classmates rode the pine on that HS team, he was in the field pitching and hitting. Every kid on the team played almost every game and if he missed a game he started the next one. The majority of the kids on the team were NOT home schooled kids, they were kids who wanted to play ball and get away from the politics that have consumed high school sports.
My son's a sophomore (15) who would have been lucky to see half the games on the JV schedule. Instead, he has played in 24 games so far this spring (JV played 18) with 6 more to go. He was the starting pitcher in 11 games and has a 7-2 record with 56 innings pitched.
The highlight this spring was playing with the varsity team in a few games and pitching against 17 and 18 year old kids, some of whom have already signed to play Div I college ball! Imagine the pride when he struck out kids signed to college or got them to ground out.
The best part? My kid saying he wasn't going to bother playing for his HS, he had TOO MUCH FUN playing for EC and the exposure in tournaments is something he can't get playing for his HS.
The downside? Very little practice time. It has been almost exclusively playing games. No structured weight lifting, running, etc. Do it on your own. Limited supply of opponents unless you travel on the weekends like a regular travel team. You can't hide. If you don't know what you're supposed to do in a certain situation, don't know what the play is, don't have baseball instincts, you will be found out and you better not repeat those mistakes. But at this age, that SHOULD be the way it is.
So THIS family has done a 180 about playing HS ball. The competition is stronger, playing time is more plentiful, coaches MUCH more knowledgeable and professional, costs are comparable, families are great to be around as we all had our "bad high school ball experiences" to talk about. You can keep your math/health teacher supplementing their income by coaching ball for a couple months. My kids being seen by scouts and pitching against college signees.
Go to Top of Page

Deron Buice

13 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  13:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The East Cobb Saints will be holding tryouts for the upcoming spring season on August 27th. Formerly known as the Johnson Ferry Saints, is an elite high school academy baseball program that plays out of the beautiful East Cobb Baseball Complex. This program is for players from 9th to 12th grade who are looking for a competitive alternative to High School baseball with a faith based environment. In the past two years the Saints have posted a record of 72 wins and 12 losses, including a 1st place finish in the Vision Sports World Series, a 3rd place finish in the HWSA World Series, and a second place finish in the NACA World Series. The primary focus of the East Cobb Saints is player development on and off the field. With of the help of six coaches, all with college or pro experience, the young men will grow in their playing abilities, character, and faith. Tryouts for this prestigious program are invitation only. Players or parents can call 404-276-1657 to receive more information and an invitation.

Go to Top of Page

Deron - Buice

20 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  22:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saints Baseball will be holding tryouts for the upcoming spring 2018 season on Sunday August 27th. Formerly known as the Johnson Ferry Saints, is an elite high school academy baseball program that plays the highest level of competition. In the past 3 years the Saints have posted a record of 101 wins and 24 losses, including a 1st place finish in the Vision Sports World Series, a 3rd place finish in the HWSA World Series, and a 2nd place finish in the NACA World Series. Saints Baseball is for players from 9th to 12th grade who are looking for a high-level competitive alternative to High School baseball in order to prepare themselves to play at the college level. The primary focus of Saints Baseball is player development. Skills development is key in an effort to help players achieve their goal of playing at the college level. Saints baseball has sent 12 players into the college ranks, including 4 in last year's class of 2017, and one now playing professionally. Tryouts for this prestigious program are invitation only. Players or parents can call 404-276-1657 to receive more information and an invitation.
Go to Top of Page

NorcrossBBall

49 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  18:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ECB HS program is awesome !!!! .....everything they promote is true....tons of playing time at very high level comp. At JR/SR levels probably best to play HS baseball if your son plays but if not this is great option. Also, as HS Freshman or Sophomore great place INSTEAD OF HS JV which is total garbage.....other than of course fund raiser for the highschool.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-20 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000