Ump's Corner
 Why bunt then?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2016 :  11:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd ask this in the Ump's section because knowledgeable people tend to roam here and I just don't understand this play.

14u game, the opposing team is up by 1 run in the 5th. They have a kid at third with 2 outs, and they bunt.....WHY? I get it if you have 1 out or no outs...but why bunt on two outs? Also, this was the first attempted bunt of the game so it isn't like my son's team had proven they were weak there (which they aren't).

This isn't the first time I have seen this play and I can't wrap my had around this logic. Please help me learn why this was even a thought for the coach, let alone what he went with.

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2016 :  13:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the kid was bunting for a hit. And maybe the coach didn't call it - the kid saw something in the defense that made him think he could bunt safely for a hit. It's been known to happen...
Go to Top of Page

baldy87

118 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2016 :  14:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, bballman. Most likely, the kid did on his own. If not, coach had to have seen something that made him think he could pull it off or possibly there was something wrong with the kid and his hitting that made the coach think he had a better chance of bunting than swinging away.

I think most would agree the play you describe would be considered "bad baseball" and would go against the book (whatever that means, I still haven't seen this book). But, that's why surprise plays work sometimes - because they're surprises.

I saw one worse that that in the game before ours. A team with "paid coaching" was down by 3 runs in the last half of the last inning with one out and a runner on second. Kid gets a hit - runner on second rounds third and holds up, and the base coaches yell for the kid rounding first to get in a rundown intentionally so that the kid rounding third can score. Fielding team gladly obliges - executes the rundown perfectly and tags out the kid who just got the hit. That leaves 2 outs and no one on and a 2-run ballgame. Next kid pops out - ballgame. Thank you very much for the free out. I'll never figure out coaches who don't understand which runner is important when they're behind late in a ballgame. They steal a runner who makes no difference and get him thrown out when 4 more guys have to get on base before the tying run could even possibly come to the plate.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2016 :  14:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

Maybe the kid was bunting for a hit. And maybe the coach didn't call it - the kid saw something in the defense that made him think he could bunt safely for a hit. It's been known to happen...

I guess it's possible....I didn't think 13/14 year old's were allowed to have brains pertaining to bunts though...humm, something to think about though.
Go to Top of Page

nwgadad

137 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2016 :  15:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a few kids who had the green light on bunt for hit, but rarely with 2 outs would they ever do it. But when I say bunt for hit, they would literally look ridiculous but effective. Heard several kids watching saying it was horrible. Funny when they got on base though!

quote:
Originally posted by bballman

Go to Top of Page

HeyBlue

92 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2016 :  08:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The idea is to take the defense by surprise. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Remember Otis Nixon ending the 1992 World Series by failing to reach on a bunt?
Go to Top of Page

sebaseball

101 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2016 :  22:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be that the coach had a brain fart and mistakenly thought that there are less than 2 outs. I'm guilty as charged & it's a real crappy way to end a game. Long week until the next tourney.....
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  19:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

I thought I'd ask this in the Ump's section because knowledgeable people tend to roam here and I just don't understand this play.

14u game, the opposing team is up by 1 run in the 5th. They have a kid at third with 2 outs, and they bunt.....WHY? I get it if you have 1 out or no outs...but why bunt on two outs? Also, this was the first attempted bunt of the game so it isn't like my son's team had proven they were weak there (which they aren't).

This isn't the first time I have seen this play and I can't wrap my had around this logic. Please help me learn why this was even a thought for the coach, let alone what he went with.

You just wanted to post this here so someone would be around to keep us in line

I too dont see much other than the kid is afraid to swing the bat but runs fast.....best chance at keeping the line moving is my guess.
I have seen some doosies this year as well
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000