Ump's Corner
 Bunt attempt. What is it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sebaseball

101 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  09:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Played a USSSA tournament recently and the opposing batter squared around to bunt while runner was stealing 2nd. The batter left the bat out front all the way through the pitch, never pulling it back. The pitch was called a ball. I went out to discuss with the homeplate umpire that it was a strike because the batter never pulled his bat back. The plate ump said that it was only in softball that you had to pull the bat back, but that in baseball, you could leave the bat out front as long as you don't make an attempt to bunt the ball. He said it was in the rule book. I asked him to consult with the field ump to see if that is his understanding as well and he agreed with the plate ump. I've gone back throught the USSSA rule book and I don't see anything stating what they claimed.

Have I been missing something in my 40 years of baseball that not pulling your bat back results in a strike being called?

ChinMusic

126 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  09:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, it's true and the correct call.. Although not seen often.

From MLB.com:
There is no restriction about the batter holding his bat over the plate. In order for the umpire to rule a strike, the batter must attempt to "strike" at the ball (see Rule 5.03 and the definition of "Strike"). We often say the batter has "offered" at the pitch if he attempts to hit it.

Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  10:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this on the internet:

NFHS In baseball holding of bat in strike zone not considered a bunt attempt Casebook 7.21(b)

NFHS In softball attempted bunt-holding bat is strike zone is bunt attempt-must be withdrawn 2-8-2
Go to Top of Page

HeyBlue

92 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  13:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebaseball

Played a USSSA tournament recently and the opposing batter squared around to bunt while runner was stealing 2nd. The batter left the bat out front all the way through the pitch, never pulling it back. The pitch was called a ball. I went out to discuss with the homeplate umpire that it was a strike because the batter never pulled his bat back. The plate ump said that it was only in softball that you had to pull the bat back, but that in baseball, you could leave the bat out front as long as you don't make an attempt to bunt the ball. He said it was in the rule book. I asked him to consult with the field ump to see if that is his understanding as well and he agreed with the plate ump. I've gone back throught the USSSA rule book and I don't see anything stating what they claimed.

Have I been missing something in my 40 years of baseball that not pulling your bat back results in a strike being called?

If you don't offer, and holding the bat out there showing bunt is not offering, then the pitch has to enter the strike zone in order to get a strike call.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  14:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HeyBlue

quote:
Originally posted by sebaseball

If you don't offer, and holding the bat out there showing bunt is not offering, then the pitch has to enter the strike zone in order to get a strike call.

And this is likely the reason there is now that rule about if you have your bat hanging out there in the bunt zone you aren't allowed to pull it back and then swing. If you show it the pitcher can feel safe to put the ball in the strike zone and you can't hit a bomb with it if you already showed the bunt.
Go to Top of Page

BaseballMom6

233 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  19:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not aware of a rule prohibiting showing a bunt then pulling back and swinging away. Has the NFHS rules changed this year? As far as I know it has always been allowed with the exception of some in park rules prohibiting it at younger ages.
Go to Top of Page

sebaseball

101 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  21:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone for the information. An old dog has officially learned a new trick.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2016 :  10:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question was about a USSSA tourney. I found a 2014 rule book it said "Because of the size of the field in the USSSA Division the fake bunt slash play will not be allowed. If a player does do this he will be automatically called out and any and all runners will be sent back to their last base as this will be a dead ball play."
Go to Top of Page

BaseballMom6

233 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2016 :  21:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, my kid is older, been a long time since he played a USSSA event.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  08:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaseballMom6

Sorry, my kid is older, been a long time since he played a USSSA event.

You know it's SOOO funny, I have a friend in Wisconsin and playing USSSA there is like playing PG here. Both of our kids are 14u and I was fascinated at the major difference by area. He said he had never even heard of TC.
Go to Top of Page

HeyBlue

92 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  09:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

And this is likely the reason there is now that rule about if you have your bat hanging out there in the bunt zone you aren't allowed to pull it back and then swing. If you show it the pitcher can feel safe to put the ball in the strike zone and you can't hit a bomb with it if you already showed the bunt.

The "Butcher Boy" play is illegal in some leagues so that a third baseman doesn't come screaming in on a bunt and take one in the teeth.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  10:37:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HeyBlue

quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

The "Butcher Boy" play is illegal in some leagues so that a third baseman doesn't come screaming in on a bunt and take one in the teeth.

OUCH, very valid concern.
Go to Top of Page

luvbaseball49

18 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2016 :  21:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not illegal in NC to slash in usssa events...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000