General Discussion
 Coach ear-holed!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  21:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, now I've seen it all. Watching a 13U game Sunday, with two highly competitive teams going at it. One teams 3B coach was rather loud, but to a spectator didn't seem 'over board'. Well, apparently there were some in-game 'situations' where the coach crossed some lines with comments and actions about the other team.

Well, in-between innings, he's back out in the 3B coaching box and the other team is warming up. "Balls in" the catcher calls, and the SS throws a pretty hard ball to 3B, who drops his glove at the last second and it beams coach right in the top of the shoulder. (Nearly got him in the throat/head). He dropped. Was ok, but visibly shaken. Coach of team in the field gave a 'thumbs up' to 3B/SS...

So... Is this typical? Teams 'retaliate' against a coach who's questionably crossed a line with comments? What if the ball would have hit him in the head? I was in awe as I watched this play out, and thought WOW, I'm not ready for this level of 'intense'.

Anyone ever seen this?

BaseballMom6

233 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  22:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If my son's coach condoned this behavior I would pull him off the team immediately. Purposefully causing harm to another person is NEVER ok. If my son was involved in the action, I would remove him from the field and he'd be lucky to play baseball again.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  22:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is wrong no matter how competitive the teams are and no matter how much of a jerk the coach is. There was a story a few years ago with a couple HS kids did this same kind of thing to an umpire. Catcher let a pitch go by him to hit the umpire. Happened right here in Georgia and caused quite a stir. Here's an article and video on it:

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun/06/sports/sp-doddraft6
http://youtu.be/6P02ZjM1fw0

Bush league if you ask me.
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  06:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should name the team so w know to stay away from that coach!!'
Go to Top of Page

Ryno23

123 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  08:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very disappointing to hear stories like this! I am sure we all see our fair share of questionable behavior by coaches AND parents a few times through out the season, and I was a witness to some nonsense this past weekend as well. Had an umpire lose track of the count in the first inning of a championship game and had to ask the home team's official score keeper to confirm the count, when the visiting team's coach disagreed with it, he yelled across the field "THEY ARE CHEATING!" Talk about striking a match at a gas pump!!! There could have been some retaliation by the home team's coaching staff and parents, with verbal assaults or even taking matters in to similar fashion as described above. Fortunately leadership starts at the top, and regardless of what one person's comments or actions may be, it does not warrant or constitute for a coach to teach an impressionable young man the right to retaliate with bodily harm and act as if it was an accidental action.

I am sure there will be some to justify the actions of the retaliating team, but they are equally liable in teaching questionable morals.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  08:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also not be okay with my kid playing for a coach that would condone that type of action.

To your question is retaliation common, yes, it actually is, but it is usually player on player. For example, I saw a beauty of a HR hit this weekend, kid trotted around the bases pretty slowly, and jumped high onto home plate. I cringed wondering if the pitcher would retaliate. I didn't think it was a coincidence that the very next pitch hit the batter, I don't think anyone else did either.

In a more interesting retaliation story, I was behind a field this weekend with a 13u game going on and happened to look over and saw a close play at the plate. The kid looked safe to me, but the umpire called him out. Imagine my shock when the music being played in the stands went from normal pump me up music to the song Three Blind Mice! I laughed so hard I about fell out of my chair!
Go to Top of Page

HeyBlue

92 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  09:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unsportsmanlike Conduct
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  11:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To clarify, had you not been looking in the dugout or really paying attention, you wouldn't have seen the "thumbs up". It wasn't blatant, but I'm sure more than just myself noticed.

So, why is it acceptable that if a pitcher gets 'shown up' he can throw at someone, or if a batter gets hit, the next half inning someone will probably get hit too... Retaliation is ok, kid v kid, yet not kid v belligerent adult?
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  12:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HeyBlue

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Actually, assault.
Go to Top of Page

Cajunjeep

31 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  18:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaseballMom6

If my son's coach condoned this behavior I would pull him off the team immediately. Purposefully causing harm to another person is NEVER ok. If my son was involved in the action, I would remove him from the field and he'd be lucky to play baseball again.

If you are around baseball enough someone is going to call for a pitcher to hit the batter.

The umpire issue is overboard in the video. Good catchers will do it subtlety.

That is part of the beauty of baseball. Respect the game and be respectful of other players/teams and all is good. There are unspoken rules.

The team in the field (from the original post) needs a coach with some balls. He should have addressed it with the other coach in between innings so that the he would not have had to get his players involved. that is bush to me.

Edited by - Cajunjeep on 04/05/2016 22:04:43
Go to Top of Page

Cajunjeep

31 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  18:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by in_the_know

quote:

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Actually, assault.

quite possibly. If there was actual harm to the coach I could see a good attorney trying to bring charges. but in the end he was not harmed with any bodily injury.

I think the same could go for a pitcher purposely throwing at a batter. At the older ages/higher levels, pitchers know to not throw full out and to actually aim for some "meat" and not the head etc. But nonetheless, a good attorney can bring suit against anyone.

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-5/article-2/16-5-21
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  19:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

Ok, now I've seen it all. Watching a 13U game Sunday, with two highly competitive teams going at it. One teams 3B coach was rather loud, but to a spectator didn't seem 'over board'. Well, apparently there were some in-game 'situations' where the coach crossed some lines with comments and actions about the other team.

Well, in-between innings, he's back out in the 3B coaching box and the other team is warming up. "Balls in" the catcher calls, and the SS throws a pretty hard ball to 3B, who drops his glove at the last second and it beams coach right in the top of the shoulder. (Nearly got him in the throat/head). He dropped. Was ok, but visibly shaken. Coach of team in the field gave a 'thumbs up' to 3B/SS...

So... Is this typical? Teams 'retaliate' against a coach who's questionably crossed a line with comments? What if the ball would have hit him in the head? I was in awe as I watched this play out, and thought WOW, I'm not ready for this level of 'intense'.

Anyone ever seen this?

I have not.............There are lines that should not be crossed and it sounds like you saw them get crossed. I agree it could be assault. Could have been a totally different situation had the ball hit the guy in the head. There is no justification imho
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  08:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

To clarify, had you not been looking in the dugout or really paying attention, you wouldn't have seen the "thumbs up". It wasn't blatant, but I'm sure more than just myself noticed.

So, why is it acceptable that if a pitcher gets 'shown up' he can throw at someone, or if a batter gets hit, the next half inning someone will probably get hit too... Retaliation is ok, kid v kid, yet not kid v belligerent adult?

I didn't say kid v kid was okay, I just said it was common.
Go to Top of Page

HeyBlue

92 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  09:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Actually, assault.

As an umpire, I can't charge anyone with that, but I can eject for UC.
Go to Top of Page

Newbie BB Mom

141 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  10:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
But nonetheless, a good attorney can bring suit against anyone.

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-5/article-2/16-5-21

Actually, it's a bad attorney that will bring a suit against anyone, not a good attorney.
Go to Top of Page

Cajunjeep

31 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  11:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Actually, assault.

at what point do you as an umpire feel it is necessary to intervene when a coach is being unsportsmanlike? Sounds like in the OP's situation someone should have stepped in before it got to this point, or as I stated earlier, the coach for the team in the field should have addressed the coach's issues.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  16:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cajunjeep

]
quote:

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

at what point do you as an umpire feel it is necessary to intervene when a coach is being unsportsmanlike? Sounds like in the OP's situation someone should have stepped in before it got to this point, or as I stated earlier, the coach for the team in the field should have addressed the coach's issues.

Now that's funny Cajun! I've NEVER seen an ump intervene with coach's when it comes to taunting/belitting/etc. the other team's players, yet when a coach tries to take up for his kids, in their defense, HE is the one that get ejected or warned. The 'unwritten rules' or 'ethics' in coaching have, in my opinion, been long since tossed out the window-- all in the name of wins. Now, I'm not saying it was 'good to see' a jerk of a coach get beamed, but I will say, it was nice to see a kid stand up to a bully. Protect his teammate-- again, assuming this wasn't a true accident.
Go to Top of Page

HeyBlue

92 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  16:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cajunjeep

The plate umpire is not going to be able to pick this up. The base umpire, if he saw everything transpire would have been in the grass between where F3 and F4 would be standing and could see the whole thing conceivably. If something was said where an umpire could have heard it initially, that could also be up for interpretation by that umpire if it was unsportsmanlike and address it. Sportsmanship should be covered in every plate meeting. If I am a coach that hears something from the other coach in such a manner, I would probably mention it to the umpire or tournament director. Handling it the way this coach did could get a coach kicked out from any further tournament with that sanctioning body.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000