General Discussion
 New team
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smitty09

9 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  13:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to the Dekalb County area and hoping to start a travel team. I am using this forum to gauge the level of interest before jumping in. Can anyone offer any information or insight into the best age group to begin with? I have professional experience as a player and scout and have coached in public school as well.

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  14:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smitty09, I don't know you or how qualified you are, but to be totally honest there are about a thousand travel teams in the Atlanta area, probably more than a thousand. I think a specific club might value from your leadership and expertise rather than starting your own travel team please consider joining an established organization. I believe Titans in Marietta posted in the classified section that they were in need of a new coach.
Go to Top of Page

ballsandbats

85 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  14:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smitty09

I am new to the Dekalb County area and hoping to start a travel team. I am using this forum to gauge the level of interest before jumping in. Can anyone offer any information or insight into the best age group to begin with? I have professional experience as a player and scout and have coached in public school as well.

I'd never discourage you, so do your thing. That said, Ca's point deserves some attention. When I read your post, my immediate reaction was, "where's he gonna find players." I think these days, the easiest route is to go to a park and coach a 5U ball team. As they go to age 6, gauge the interest of the parents in forming a 6U team to play at the park but also do some tournaments. Then jump into full tournament ball at 7U. (Now, some will start in on me for advocating the continued destruction of the rec system...But I'm not. I'm simply answering a question.) Unless you do this and build a team organically, or an organization like Titans or mine (The Club) hires you to train/coach a team, it will be difficult to build a competitive team aged 9 and up from scratch. Where there's a will, anything can be done, of course, and I've seen it happen. But not for someone brand new to the area. IMHO
Go to Top of Page

Strategizer

86 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  20:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coach, with your experience, I would suggest you look at the 14U - 17U major age group. It may be too late to try and assemble a team for the 2016 Spring/Summer season. With that being said, you may want to visit some of the upcoming Perfect Game tourney's (at LakePoint in Emerson) starting in May to assess the local talent and coaching staffs. The more high profile PG tourney's will kick-off in June thru the end of July. There's also the Triple Crown tourney's at East Cobb.

Attending these tourney's may help you in your decision process. At the end of the season some parents may be looking for other options for their son(s) or an organization may be looking for a well qualified coach.

You may also want to inquire about the current travel teams in Dekalb County.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  08:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strategizer

Coach, with your experience, I would suggest you look at the 14U - 17U major age group. It may be too late to try and assemble a team for the 2016 Spring/Summer season. With that being said, you may want to visit some of the upcoming Perfect Game tourney's (at LakePoint in Emerson) starting in May to assess the local talent and coaching staffs. The more high profile PG tourney's will kick-off in June thru the end of July. There's also the Triple Crown tourney's at East Cobb.

Attending these tourney's may help you in your decision process. At the end of the season some parents may be looking for other options for their son(s) or an organization may be looking for a well qualified coach.

You may also want to inquire about the current travel teams in Dekalb County.

Good luck.

Smitty09, I would agree that your skill set would likely match up well with 14u-17u. However, speaking as a parent of a kid in the 14-17u age group I can tell you that I would be HIGHLY unlikely to let my Major player join an unknown organization. If a player is playing at the Major level at 14-17u it is likely because they want to play in college. I am a thousand time more likely to go with an established club that has proven contacts than a new person.

If you look at the top teams board under 14u you will get a good idea of the organizations you should be soliciting for a coaching position.
Go to Top of Page

Ross

60 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  10:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smitty, every time you want to create something people will tell you it is a bad idea. Reality is all the top programs started small and became top programs due to a one persons vision, intelligence and willingness to work hard. If you are looking to start a team that is one thing and i recommend you start at the younger ages and build up. If you are looking to start a program that is another thing, but i still recommend you start at the younger ages and build up. Either way like any business you have competition, so make sure you have the right plan.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  12:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smitty09,

I think Dekalb could use more good teams and coaches. The challenge is fields. We live in Dekalb and have had to drive just to find a practice field. If you have access to a field, that is one big plus. Also, I think a lot of 12u to 14u players could be interested. As stated above, there is a lot of competition. You would need to build a good reputation.

Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2016 :  16:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smitty09

I say go for it smitty, but it may be tough to get started though.........But what is worth having that isn't?

My concern would be your staff and facilities. I am sure you have already begun that thought process. If it were me, I'd find a club/academy that is already established and inquire within. Surely they will want a team practicing there and participating in Speed/agility etc....... After just an agreement, you can say we practice out of such and such etc.......

I think one of the academies up here was looking for a coach for one of their teams for the fall of 2015. Not sure what happened to it. I think the team never happened. But still....I say chase it

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000