Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LittleDawg

91 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  10:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent Information

http://paulreddickbaseballvip.com/catalog/a-scary-situation-for-baseball-development/

bballguy

224 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  09:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He recognized the problem but does not mention a solution???????
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  14:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballguy

Oh, he has the solution...for the low, low price of $xxxx.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  15:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hshuler

quote:

Act now and get a "FREE" bat weight
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  12:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hshuler

quote:

Exactly, create a product, find a problem that it can solve, generate propaganda to same, Sell, repeat . . .

Not that he doesn't have a legitimate point or solution (Full disclosure, I didn't even watch his video), but you should always keep the above in the back of your mind when presented with these things.
Go to Top of Page

dad4kids

109 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2016 :  15:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... results may vary.
Go to Top of Page

IBABASEBALL

45 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  10:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem I have with this video is he talks about other sports I see 7U AAU basketball National Tournaments, their travel basketball is way more serious than Baseball if you can believe that.
Also the best in the LL World Series are not the best players in the country, Most good travel teams would run most LL Allstar teams off the field. Not saying some of these kids are some of the best but not all of them. Some kids gravitate to other sports, great pitcher turns to great QB. We all know about one in GA now who was on the LL World Series team and could play baseball in college but chose football. If his big issue is under qualified coaches then why was it when we had parole officers and drunks coaching back in the day were the numbers higher for kids going to the next level? You can't tell me the coaches are less qualified now. Biggest issue I see is baseball is a hard. Competition is better now. Kids are way better than they were pros are way better. In baseball you are competing against kids from other countries, all countries now, Japan, DR, Latin Amer etc
The bottom line is what separates Big Leaguers from minor leaguers is defense. In College and single A the base hit duck fart is a close out in AA, in AAA you are out by 2 steps, Majors out by 4. That is what separates those guys. The running speed the arm speed, quickness. Heck look at HS kids throwing 90mph now, back in the day I could count the number of guys I faced throwing 90 in College on one hand.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  15:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion...numbers use to be higher for kids getting to the next level because they allowed for variation. Growing up I always heard the boys saying "I'm going to swing like *insert players name here*...I'm going to pitch like *insert pitchers name here*. It isn't like that anymore. Higher Level baseball now almost requires you become a Stepford robot. You MUST swing/hit/run/field/throw THIS way.

For the kid who can gain success with a weird swing or pitch style *sigh* well they are mostly driven out of the game by the time they would have hit the next level. They are told their way of hitting/pitching/running/fielding/throwing won't hold up over time or when the game gets faster. Then there is the price...half of the 14u kids I know quit because their parents couldn't or wouldn't pay thousands a year for travel ball and/or showcases.
Go to Top of Page

SSBuckeye

575 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  15:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This guy is so full of himself. I bought a hitting video from him one time that contained content that could have been conveyed in 90 seconds, but he managed to make it a 30 minute video. He's also a pretty big email spammer if you get on his list. There are a few morsels of truth in what he says and no doubt some kids and parents have had those experiences, but most of what he says is exaggerated for effect in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  15:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think there's something to be said about bad coaching, and driving kids out of the sport. Let's be honest, there are threads MILES long with folks criticizing coaches... Just look at the sheer number of 'paid' "pro" coaches out there now. I could easily see 'bad' coaches killing kids interest in the game, whether its at rec, all-star, or travel baseball. Whether it's lack of instruction, positioning, or *gasp* DADDY-BALL...

Where I disagree, is hasn't there always be a significant drop off in players at 13U? When the field gets bigger? The size-range gets bigger? The game itself gets more difficult? So, I'm not sure the best coaches in the world could keep lil Timmy enthralled in the game if it's beyond is physical capability...
Go to Top of Page

Bombernation

51 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  08:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

Personally, I think there's something to be said about bad coaching, and driving kids out of the sport. Let's be honest, there are threads MILES long with folks criticizing coaches... Just look at the sheer number of 'paid' "pro" coaches out there now. I could easily see 'bad' coaches killing kids interest in the game, whether its at rec, all-star, or travel baseball. Whether it's lack of instruction, positioning, or *gasp* DADDY-BALL...

Where I disagree, is hasn't there always be a significant drop off in players at 13U? When the field gets bigger? The size-range gets bigger? The game itself gets more difficult? So, I'm not sure the best coaches in the world could keep lil Timmy enthralled in the game if it's beyond is physical capability...

I agree with this- I feel like this is where those big kids (not diabetes big kids) you see on the true Majors teams flourish and the smaller kids that can't throw or swing for power start feeling the pinch and go play basketball / Lacrosse, etc....
Go to Top of Page

RUSemiPro

95 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  18:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree with the size analogy. There are plenty of big (non diabetes) kids who can't throw or get the ball out of the infield. And plenty of smaller kids with the right technique and skill that can hit the ball farther.

What I agree with is the game does catch up with alot once you pass 13 and the field gets bigger. Not just strength, and power, but speed plays a factor too. The Big kid trying to run 90 feet instead of 65, 70, 80 starts to ween down the pool.

Problem isn't just bad coaches, there are bad parents, kids with bad attitudes, kids who've been coddled for years, the list goes on and on.

Every player has their own circumstance, but to say it's due to size I'm not buying what you are selling there Bombernation.

quote:
Originally posted by Bombernation

quote:

I agree with this- I feel like this is where those big kids (not diabetes big kids) you see on the true Majors teams flourish and the smaller kids that can't throw or swing for power start feeling the pinch and go play basketball / Lacrosse, etc....

Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2016 :  21:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Size...here we go again....is irrelevant. And you suggest Bomber that the little guys go to basketball??? Though my "little guy" is pretty solid there too. Mine can easily make the throw. I agree with SemiPro 110%.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  00:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bomber must be new to the game or may have never played it before to make size comments like that. But, hey, it' your feelings - not facts. There is a 10yr old that I train, weights about 65lbs and throws the ball his weight plus in mph from 60ft. He looks like a lightweight on the mound until you see batters try to catch up to his fast ball. Size in this game is debunked. Big bats equals less hits too. So all these coaches can keep the big kids for now. 60/90 is the truth teller, if they make it that far.
Go to Top of Page

Bombernation

51 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  11:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Punishers

Bomber must be new to the game or may have never played it before to make size comments like that. But, hey, it' your feelings - not facts. There is a 10yr old that I train, weights about 65lbs and throws the ball his weight plus in mph from 60ft. He looks like a lightweight on the mound until you see batters try to catch up to his fast ball. Size in this game is debunked. Big bats equals less hits too. So all these coaches can keep the big kids for now. 60/90 is the truth teller, if they make it that far.
[/quote

Punishers- if you are training a 10 year old that weighs 65 pounds, and you know what his velo is, and are allowing him to overthrow at that velocity, I hope you never wind up anywhere near my kid. Kids and parents shouldn't be looking at a radar gun until that growth plate in the elbow is completely firmed up. To make sure everyone actually read what I wrote, I was very specific in typing "True Majors Team". And while we have some smaller dudes that get it done, the majority of these guys are MUCH bigger than other kids their age.

And no Punishers, not a newbie.
Go to Top of Page

Bombernation

51 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  12:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

Punishers- Are you saying you are training a 65 pound 10 year old to throw 60 feet from the mound???
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  13:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Punishers- Are you saying you are training a 65 pound 10 year old to throw 60 feet from the mound???

OMG. Yeah, you are new.

Of course. Field dimensions for a real baseball field. Just part of my training for pitchers. The reason I train from that distance is for them to understand focus points. The farther the plate from the mound, the focus window is smaller for locating pitches. When they get on a 46ft mound, it looks like they can reach out and touch the catcher, thus making locating pitches easier. Similar to the Jager long toss method, but less pitches and more focus.

Edited by - Punishers on 11/13/2016 16:33:47
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  14:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just depends..I don't think velocity is the issue, rather no. of throws AT that velocity that does the damage. Just FYI for 2016 the best PG recorded fir 10U was 70 mph, with the average being 53 and for 11U the best was 72, with the average being 58. Also there are 12U that weigh 65 lb. Should they be prevented from throwing in the 60's? It's not the age OR the size, it's the player. I've said it before, will say it again, size is irrelevant. Yes, majors teams tend to have some of the larger athletic kids, but every majors team has at least a couple smaller studs too.

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 11/13/2016 16:33:47
Go to Top of Page

RUSemiPro

95 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  15:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bombernation, what exactly is your definition of a "True Majors Team", and are you implying if someone is not on one they are not a worthy player? I'm not really following your logic here.

I think what Punishers is saying is with the proper training and development size plays less into the mix than pure genetics. I will add that work ethic and dedication plays a lot into it as well.

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Punishers

[/quote

Punishers- if you are training a 10 year old that weighs 65 pounds, and you know what his velo is, and are allowing him to overthrow at that velocity, I hope you never wind up anywhere near my kid. Kids and parents shouldn't be looking at a radar gun until that growth plate in the elbow is completely firmed up. To make sure everyone actually read what I wrote, I was very specific in typing "True Majors Team". And while we have some smaller dudes that get it done, the majority of these guys are MUCH bigger than other kids their age.

And no Punishers, not a newbie.

Go to Top of Page

Bombernation

51 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  23:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

OMG. Yeah, you are new.

Of course. Field dimensions for a real baseball field. Just part of my training for pitchers. The reason I train from that distance is for them to understand focus points. The farther the plate from the mound, the focus window is smaller for locating pitches. When they get on a 46ft mound, it looks like they can reach out and touch the catcher, thus making locating pitches easier. Similar to the Jager long toss method, but less pitches and more focus.

Punishers- You cannot come to this forum and make the claim that you are training a 65 pound 10 year old throwing between 65-70 mph from 60 feet, and expect to retain any kind of credibility from the rest of us? Your inability to respond directly to the question asked makes me skeptical; not to mention some of your previous posts.

Answer the question asked.

Go to Top of Page

Bombernation

51 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  23:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

Just depends..I don't think velocity is the issue, rather no. of throws AT that velocity that does the damage. Just FYI for 2016 the best PG recorded fir 10U was 70 mph, with the average being 53 and for 11U the best was 72, with the average being 58. Also there are 12U that weigh 65 lb. Should they be prevented from throwing in the 60's? It's not the age OR the size, it's the player. I've said it before, will say it again, size is irrelevant. Yes, majors teams tend to have some of the larger athletic kids, but every majors team has at least a couple smaller studs too.

Please include links to justify those numbers. If you are even somewhat of the opinion that kids should have velo numbers mentioned in the same sentence as anything under 15U, that is the clearest way to label someone a "newbie". And FYI Punishers, that was directed at you. You would be surprised at the experience you question.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  10:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And those big kids that only "hit for power"...when you face another "true majors team", unless all those big hits are home runs, or everyone hits only line drives in the gaps, alot of those "big hits" are easily caught by a majors outfield and the line drives..that's where the tiny, scrappy lightning fast infield comes into play. Takes a mix to make a "true" majors team...just imho of course.

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 11/15/2016 15:55:33
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  20:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

OMG. Yeah, you are new.

Punishers- You cannot come to this forum and make the claim that you are training a 65 pound 10 year old throwing between 65-70 mph from 60 feet, and expect to retain any kind of credibility from the rest of us? Your inability to respond directly to the question asked makes me skeptical; not to mention some of your previous posts.

Answer the question asked.

Question was answered. Please read my post. I said "Of Course" at the beginning of the paragraph.

Let me explain the physics to you in plain and simple terms:
Whatever velocity a pitcher throws, is the actual velocity no matter the distance.
Example: 65mph is 65mph, no matter if the distance if 40ft or 60ft. It's like you driving 65mph and your destination is 40 miles away, or it could be 60 miles away. You are still driving 65mph. The only thing that differs is the time to destination to whatever distance.

Uggghh. Now you made me start remembering all the stuff I learned about physics in college.

Edited by - Punishers on 11/15/2016 20:48:24
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  20:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And those big kids that only "hit for power"...when you face another "true majors team", unless all those big hits are home runs, or everyone hits only line drives in the gaps, alot of those "big hits" are easily caught by a majors outfield and the line drives..that's where the tiny, scrappy lightning fast infield comes into play. Takes a mix to make a "true" majors team...just imho of course.

Very True. This is when you start playing real baseball. Any ball put in the air is an out. Like a slow grounder is an out. At majors level those are automatic outs, not hopeful-to-be-made plays.

Edited by - Punishers on 11/15/2016 20:48:24
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  22:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Please include links to justify those numbers. If you are even somewhat of the opinion that kids should have velo numbers mentioned in the same sentence as anything under 15U, that is the clearest way to label someone a "newbie". And FYI Punishers, that was directed at you. You would be surprised at the experience you question.

10yr olds pitching 65 or 70 and more is nothing new. They are in the higher percentile for their velocity and not in the average range. So I guess PG is lying about those numbers?

Overuse is what kills a pitcher's arm, not distance. For the few select guys I train (for free - since I'm not in it for the money but sharing knowledge), they might throw 20 pitches, if that, from a 60ft mound. It's a focus and location exercise, not a velocity exercise.

Why don't you enlightened us about your experience? Your posts are suspect about your knowledge of the game.

Edited by - Punishers on 11/16/2016 09:13:12
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  07:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The size-range gets bigger? ... So, I'm not sure the best coaches in the world could keep lil Timmy enthralled in the game if it's beyond is physical capability...

Look, my comment was in general terms, NOT to throw the 'little guys' under the bus. I grew up in Atlanta-- a life-long Braves fan. Glen Hubbard was a small 2B, and had a steller glove, and could flat play. BUT, I also grew up playing ball... When I was 12/13 and a 'late bloomer', my desire in baseball wained. Friends of mine hit puberty early, grew, developed muscle, and I was a 'boy' amongst men. Coupled with it, I was 'average' at best-- when the field was 'level', the constant 'failure' (or lack of steady success against those bigger, faster, stronger than I just diminished my desire to play. No big deal. No harm. I switched parks to somewhere not as competitive, played sandlot ball with some buddies, picked up different sports to keep me busy (golf, tennis, fishing) and I was a content young man.

So, when I say "size range", or kids not having the successes they once had-- that's not a knock on the kids. It's life. It's what I personally went through. No harm. It's reality. That some will play it as a sport-- a GAME-- for FUN-- until the gap widens so much so that there's no longer that much success, no longer is it 'fun', and that typically is around the age of puberty.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000