General Discussion
 Spring season
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  11:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the typical number of tournaments a youth team should play (specifically 13u). Just curious what is the norm.

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  19:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do, no one has any idea what a typical number of tourneys a team plays? In my experience it was 10-12 and recently will be close to 20.

Curios to know if the higher the level the more tournaments you play. It doesn't look to me that Astros will play 20, but I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  07:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think around 15 is the norm. Keep in mind that at 13u the parents are still expecting the cost to be reasonable, with the $750-$2000 entry fees for Perfect game you can't play a bunch of those and still be in the "reasonable" catagory.

So, I would say the lower the team the more reasonable to cost because they are playing local tourneys at $200-$300 a pop or USSSA so they can get in more tourneys. The higher the team the less tourneys, but the better quality.
Go to Top of Page

jbarley

75 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  17:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
13u do not play 15 events in spring usually closer to 12. Caocao how many did your team play this year in spring?
Go to Top of Page

RoamingCF

77 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  18:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll play 16 when all is said & done. A bit extreme. I'd back off 2-3 "not required" events - maybe 13-14 is a reasonable number to expect.
Go to Top of Page

brball

615 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  22:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on the team and could range anywhere from 12-15 (spring & summer) for the higher level teams. Anything over this you start losing your sanity (parent) and competitiveness (player)! 16U just started this past weekend and are scheduled 11 (losing my sanity as I type looking at the schedule), pending weather.

Haven't seen Shu on the forum lately, but he said it best when he was coaching at this age, "2 weeks in a row and then a week off"... 3 in a row is when bad things start to happen.

Edited by - brball on 05/22/2017 22:34:09
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  08:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbarley

13u do not play 15 events in spring usually closer to 12. Caocao how many did your team play this year in spring?

14u schedule runs from late February to Early July. The schedule says 15 full tourneys (includes end of the year week long tourney), and they also played 3 one day tourneys early in the season. So count that as 16.5?
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  09:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brball

Depends on the team and could range anywhere from 12-15 (spring & summer) for the higher level teams. Anything over this you start losing your sanity (parent) and competitiveness (player)! 16U just started this past weekend and are scheduled 11 (losing my sanity as I type looking at the schedule), pending weather.

Haven't seen Shu on the forum lately, but he said it best when he was coaching at this age, "2 weeks in a row and then a week off"... 3 in a row is when bad things start to happen.

Funny how we remember things certain people say

I miss the shu too..........we have been on a play 3 then a week off routine. I think what shu said may have some merit.

Edited by - bfriendly on 05/25/2017 10:28:07
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  15:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's up, guys!

I still regularly read what's posted on this forum. You guys are doing just fine.

We typically scheduled 12 tournaments with the expectation that two would get rained out. Ten tournaments would put us between 50-60 games because we usually made deep runs.

These tournaments are highly stressful for the boys so our staff decided that they needed time to get away and enjoy a baseball-free weekend after playing back to back weekends. The one time that we played three weekends in a row, it was filled with uncharacteristic errors which we attributed to mental fatigue.

I may not post as often but will definitely continue to read. Best wishes on an injury-free travel ball season and remember not to put too much pressure on your kids. The game comes with enough pressure but your home should be the one place where they can get away from it all. They seem to somehow play better when the know that dad and mom love them no matter what happens on the field.

Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend and I look forward to seeing you guys soon!

Edited by - hshuler on 05/25/2017 16:27:52
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2017 :  15:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This contradicts the mindset of some parents or coaches that the more you play the better kids get.

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience. It helps us newbie parents navigating the crazy world of travel ball.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000