General Discussion
 what does this mean? mcann?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbarley

75 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  22:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this on the Trip Crown site but not sure what a partnership with Mcann does for the tournament? Are there some sort of prizes or events they do? I hate to miss something while there

This is a well established event over the years with the founder Howie McCann and his son Brian McCann of the Atlanta Braves and New York Yankees. Triple Crown is proud to present the second year partnership with the McCann family to bring you a Memorial Day event like no other.

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  10:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know about any special prizes but I do know this McCann tournament affiliation with Triple Crown has been around for a while because 10 years ago my son played in the "McCann Classic" at 12u at ECB complex and came in 2nd place.

I do not recall Brian McCann being present at any time.
Go to Top of Page

oneZone

117 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  13:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure it's just smart marketing. I mean -- why go to some plain old ordinary Summer Classic when you can go to the McCann Summer Classic?!
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  19:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you get to pay over $800 and say you played in it and that will get you recruited no doubt
Go to Top of Page

Ryno23

123 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  05:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a few Braves players (Dan Uggla and David Ross in years past) at the parks over the years, sometimes they are present for a few hours and other years it's to take pictures with the teams before and after games.
Go to Top of Page

openeyes

5 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  08:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is amazing how negative some people are. Tony and TC do a great job with their tournaments. I have personally seen him bust his behind on rainy days to try and get fields ready. Other tournaments just cancel....but let's just throw TC under the bus.

Howie is a great dude. Both he and his son are 2 of the best instructors in the area. I have personally been in his building and various big name pros are working out with him and his son. If they are good enough for a $200 million guy, then probably good enough for your little Johnny. Or we should actually rename it to your little Mike Trout.

You can meet Howie usually at these parks during the TC event. He is very cordial guy, pick his brain about what his kids did to succeed. Or just troll away on these boards.

This is the problem with Travel Ball Parents, always looking for a negative. Bro, move on.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  09:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by openeyes

It is amazing how negative some people are. Tony and TC do a great job with their tournaments. I have personally seen him bust his behind on rainy days to try and get fields ready. Other tournaments just cancel....but let's just throw TC under the bus.

Howie is a great dude. Both he and his son are 2 of the best instructors in the area. I have personally been in his building and various big name pros are working out with him and his son. If they are good enough for a $200 million guy, then probably good enough for your little Johnny. Or we should actually rename it to your little Mike Trout.

You can meet Howie usually at these parks during the TC event. He is very cordial guy, pick his brain about what his kids did to succeed. Or just troll away on these boards.

This is the problem with Travel Ball Parents, always looking for a negative. Bro, move on.

Openeyes, the OP asked if there was some sort of prizes or events they do at this thing so he didn't miss them. People answered with long versions of "no". No one is slamming the Mcann family specifically but stating it's a marketing gimmick to get people to THIS tourney over other tourneys that weekend. Much like the Domingo Ayela thing.

My son played in the Mcann classic several years ago, I didn't see any Mcanns there at that point and didn't see anything "special" or different about this tourney than other TC events. Perhaps it's different now, but that is what happened then.

Edited by - CaCO3Girl on 05/24/2017 11:06:24
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  11:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:
Originally posted by openeyes

Openeyes, the OP asked if there was some sort of prizes or events they do at this thing so he didn't miss them. People answered with long versions of "no". No one is slamming the Mcann family specifically but stating it's a marketing gimmick to get people to THIS tourney over other tourneys that weekend. Much like the Domingo Ayela thing.

My son played in the Mcann classic several years ago, I didn't see any Mcanns there at that point and didn't see anything "special" or different about this tourney than other TC events. Perhaps it's different now, but that is what happened then.

The difference from most TC tournaments is that it is a 4 game guarantee, and wood only for 14u and higher.
Go to Top of Page

Newbie BB Mom

141 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  11:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago my son's team played in this tournament. There are prizes for various competitions, including a homerun derby that was a lot of fun to watch. My son ran in the round the bases competition, and his run was timed by Howie McCann himself. He was a very nice man who was kind and encouraging to all the young players who participated in that event. Brian McCann was not there, but he was in the middle of his season and had a game that very night, so I wasn't expecting to see him.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  14:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We played in this last year....it was just a regular tourney except it was a 4 game guarantee.
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  21:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Playing on park fields? No high schools?
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  09:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure the McCanns run a charity organization. Have not seen any "Split" but I would think some of the funds will help or go to the organization.

Personally I am more concerned about the weather which has beat us the last 2 tourneys

So pumped to be able to play this weekend, just hoping for great(playable) weather.
Go to Top of Page

inthestands

3 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2017 :  08:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son played in this tournament a few years ago. All kids were entered into a raffle and he won a rookie program signed by Brian McCann. I also remember another kid on our team won some memorabilia (can't remember what though). No idea if this is still part of the event now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000