Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  09:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

I've lived it below 14u, I've lived it above 14u. The year we left for Cooperstown they hadn't practiced at ECB in more than a month.

-Home school leagues big fields only
-Rec park leagues that sell the week long tourney at ECB for their "grand finale" end of the season? Yep, it happens!
-They stole the 11u slot last week so they steal the 12u slot this week so the 11u kids can practice. Again, end of the season, starting what, mid/late June, you're correct! Our season was nearly done by then-- lots of ECB teams PLAY in those tourneys to wrap their season (TbS National Championship/TL World Series/CABA World Series)
-Field maintenance Nov. - Feb., yep every year!
-It barely drizzled but they MUST protect the mound for the weekend tourney GASP! Mother Nature, boo!
-Private lessons given by ECB staff NEVER seen/heard of this!
-one kid didn't pay their spring fee so the entire team can't practice because you haven't been assigned a slot Isn't that a rule, in writing by ECB? Those who have spring dues PAID IN FULL will get first rights of practice slot requests? Everyone knows the rules. That's why plenty of teams collect these 'dues' as part of team fees, and the team pays in one lump sum transaction.
-Two teams were given the same slot, they don't want to scrimmage so you have to go Again, it MAY happen, but never seen/heard of this.

Yes, we can tell you're bitter. Maybe your were on a 12U team that had a super late week of Cooperstown (late July) and you team needed practice all the way up til y'all left, yet the 'season ending' tourneys closed the fields. Ok. LATE season. If you're going to paint such a broad negative comments, at least put disclaimers that it's 'at the end of the season, because we played up until nearly August, over a month after everyone else was done and playing season-ending tourneys at ECB we couldn't practice'...

But, your $200 annual dues paid for field (and batting cage-- although first come/first serve on cages)usage/availability, and they are pretty d@mn nice fields, to some. So while Mother Nature, and upkeep, or late season tourneys may limit "365 day year-round access", I guess you're right. You don't get a FULL 365 days. I'll concede to your point.
Go to Top of Page

15UBaseball

27 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  11:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only Teams I would pay for are
ECB
Team Elite
Nelson
GA Jackets
Ninth Inning
I may have left a good organization out but
other than that I have a hard time paying money to tryout.
Don't get sold by an ex player on how many contacts they have and how hard they are going to work for you now or in the future on talking to college coaches. Some will and do it, some will promise and not do it, and say its all on the player and parents. I agree that is true its up to the player to promote himself and contact schools, but don't say something before the season then pretend you can't come through down the road.
How many players have teams picked up in the past after tryouts, and not charged them tryout fees, think about that. You had to pay why didn't they.

Edited by - 15UBaseball on 07/12/2017 11:13:44
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  11:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had second week at Cooperstown, so it was early June. Each parent must log in and pay kid Spring fees, no option for coach to make mass payment. I think you are thinking of the $300+ shoe truck, coach can pay for that.

I know many ECB parents as well and we all get/got the emails about the fields not being available, but I will say it's more common at 14u and up once it hit mid April (I.e end of JV).
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  11:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 15UBaseball

ECB
Team Elite
Nelson
GA Jackets
Ninth Inning
Don't get sold by an ex player on how many contacts they have and how hard they are going to work for you now or in the future on talking to college coaches. Some will and do it, some will promise and not do it, and say its all on the player and parents. I agree that is true its up to the player to promote himself and contact schools, but don't say something before the season then pretend you can't come through down the road.
How many players have teams picked up in the past after tryouts, and not charged them tryout fees, think about that. You had to pay why didn't they.

Sounds like you been there and done that. Same thing I've been saying all along.
Go to Top of Page

mikepayne

173 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  17:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 15UBaseball

ECB
Team Elite
Nelson
GA Jackets
Ninth Inning

I would add the Bombers to that list. Trust the market it is usually correct.
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  08:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your son is a good player you should never pay for a tryout. Your son is the commodity why are you paying a team for a tryout? They want you to pay to tryout then they want to charge $2,000-$3,000 for the season when most of them will not even be competitive teams out in the tournament circuit.

They are trying to treat it as a for profit business.

Edited by - aj94 on 07/13/2017 08:27:35
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  10:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always thought of a tryout fee as simple "Free Market"enterprise and if its worth it to you, then pay it. I have no problem spending $50ish for a 3 hour something that my kid may get something out of. That to me is worth it and I dont mind paying it a few times for a few different Orgs each year.
But, there is an org right now wanting $100 and quite frankly they were mediocre AAA at best last year......I liked their tryout 2 years ago, but not even close to being worth $100

Point is, it is up to the individual to figure out if they find value.....my .02
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  10:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the teams on the list above are competitive (excluding the very bottom ECB teams). They are the best of the best and hundreds of people will show up at their tryouts. I can only hope you are trolling on your last sentence.
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  11:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tellit

All the teams on the list above are competitive (excluding the very bottom ECB teams). They are the best of the best and hundreds of people will show up at their tryouts. I can only hope you are trolling on your last sentence.

I was referring to "They are trying to treat it as a for profit business."

Free markets and free minds
Go to Top of Page

15UBaseball

27 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  12:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aj94

If your son is a good player you should never pay for a tryout. Your son is the commodity why are you paying a team for a tryout? They want you to pay to tryout then they want to charge $2,000-$3,000 for the season when most of them will not even be competitive teams out in the tournament circuit.

They are trying to treat it as a for profit business.

I think some of the good ones do run it as a clinic, but the bottom line is they are paying for the coaches being out there holding the tryout. I mean you have to have a tryout why not get paid for it. Back in the day when police officers and parole officers and anyone coached they did it because they liked helping out kids and working with the community or coaching their kid. Now it has turned into a business.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  13:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I was referring to "They are trying to treat it as a for profit business."

Free markets and free minds

I would say they are "well established" programs. The rest are just scavengers, preying on the ignorant or less informed.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  14:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mean baseball isn't a "for profit business"?

There are 176 baseball business's in GA that are non-profit. Many are schools or little leagues but out of the list give above here are the results:

643 = NON profit
ECB = NON profit
Team Elite = Found no mention
Nelson = Found no mention
GA Jackets = NON profit
Ninth Inning = Found no mention
GA bombers = NON-profit

Also saw MGBA, Sandy Plains, West Cobb, Hobgood, & Cherokee Reds.

This may actually be a good way to determine which teams to try out for.
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  14:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Best of the best? You must not have followed 10u baseball this season or you are a rep for one them.
Go to Top of Page

dgersh22

169 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  19:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are 176 baseball business's in GA that are non-profit. Many are schools or little leagues but out of the list give above here are the results:

643 = NON profit
ECB = NON profit
GA Jackets = NON profit
GA bombers = NON-profit

If you honestly believe that the above non-profits owners do not make a tidy sum in salaries, I have some swamp land to sell you! I don't think I would ever base a decision on playing or trying out for a team based on weather they were for profit or not. Most churches are non-profit, do you base your decision to attend that church because of that? I have seen a lot of preachers with some very nice houses, cars and rags!!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  07:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dgersh22

quote:

643 = NON profit
ECB = NON profit
GA Jackets = NON profit
GA bombers = NON-profit

If you honestly believe that the above non-profits owners do not make a tidy sum in salaries, I have some swamp land to sell you! I don't think I would ever base a decision on playing or trying out for a team based on weather they were for profit or not. Most churches are non-profit, do you base your decision to attend that church because of that? I have seen a lot of preachers with some very nice houses, cars and rags!!

Can't argue with your assessment. However, there are some baseball clubs that have recently popped up with impressive looking resumes on who they have coaching and where they will be practicing that should be avoided because it's a money scam. If a place doesn't have their own field, and they have to rent a field, especially if it is an impressive field, that could easily add an additional $1500 per kid!

I say again, check the better business bureau for the teams that haven't been around for 10+ years and for goodness sake, don't pay to tryout for what could be a AA at best!
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  16:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Best of the best? You must not have followed 10u baseball this season or you are a rep for one them.

10u, LOL. If you are upset now about prices and people making a profit you are in for a rude awakening in a few years.
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  13:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

10u, LOL. If you are upset now about prices and people making a profit you are in for a rude awakening in a few years.

Wrong, I have an adult son now, paid $1600 for his 18u at the time and they beat your $3,000 "academy" teams that season and they went to Florida to play in the Under Armour Tournament and the fee covered that cost as well.

You can keep coming out of pocket and paying big money (or collecting it you seem to be an "academy" affiliate), my son is good so I won't have to do that.

Edited by - aj94 on 07/17/2017 14:34:38
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  15:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just do not expect people to work for free. Nobody cares how good you "think" your kid is. You also could not be more wrong about me, my kid plays for a small park team. I would love for him to play for 643 or the Jackets but his talent is not there, yet!
Go to Top of Page

labaseball2022

12 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  17:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wrong, I have an adult son now, paid $1600 for his 18u at the time and they beat your $3,000 "academy" teams that season and they went to Florida to play in the Under Armour Tournament and the fee covered that cost as well.

You can keep coming out of pocket and paying big money (or collecting it you seem to be an "academy" affiliate), my son is good so I won't have to do that.

No offense but you got taken. At 18U, most of the kids on these "elite/academy" teams are playing for free or at a really reduced rate. That is the marketing behind the rest of the teams and how/why the younger ones pay so much.
Go to Top of Page

Bombernation

51 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  18:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's a Yeti full of some Academy Balll Hater-Aid right there
Go to Top of Page

Bombernation

51 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  20:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's a Yeti full of some Academy Balll Hater-Aid right there
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  07:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just do not expect people to work for free. Nobody cares how good you "think" your kid is. You also could not be more wrong about me, my kid plays for a small park team. I would love for him to play for 643 or the Jackets but his talent is not there, yet!

I got GC stats that proves my son is good, I don't have to lie to kick it like some of y'all do.

Now instead of just talking pull out your checkbook and cut the check and your son can play for any academy team he wants, talent or not.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  08:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Aj94, you must be one of the lucky ones that found a good team with a good coach outside of an academy with contacts. In my experience those are RARE...unless it's a scout team of some sort and they only cater to the top of the top and aren't available to the general population.

So what does a rising 11th grader who is throwing 84mph do? They aren't elite, but they have the potential. Where else can they go to get their training and get with people with contacts other than an academy?
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  09:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a difference between not working for free and being greedy. What I see is greed. I see less fees on my cable bill. Getting fee'd to death does not constitute a good team, good coaches, and trainers. You are paying for a name. Even Nike and UA make crappy gear. Bigger does not mean better. Just means bigger price. Go bigley or go home mentality is at play here.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  09:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bigger is definitely not better. Case in point: if you play at ECB in high school, unless you are on one of those top teams or the academic team, it's unlikely you will have any more access to contacts and training than anyone in any other organization. Nelson on the other hand, small, tons of contacts, excellent training and no staggering annual registration or tryout fees. Their 17U team finished 5th of 392 teams in the PG National Championship. Now THAT is impressive for a ball club with 6 high school age teams. Sometimes less is more.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000