New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

NF1974

62 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  12:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CaCO3 girl- If I was the parent of a rising 11th grader that threw 84mph and his dream was to keep on playing, then I would invest in personal pitching coaching and look for a team where he could get reps. Secondly, how are his grades? There are a lot of good Academic D-2 and D-3 teams where your son could not only make the team but contribute. If he wants to play in college then i would make a plan and follow it. With my son, we treated it like a project. We identified schools that he was interested in and also could get into and then we made an actual poster of each and taped it to the wall. He filled in the details and we would mark it up as new information came in. It was fun and it also taught him a little bit about Project Management.Things we put on each poster were items like: Head Coach-/ Location/Practice facility/Returning players-especially at his position/GRE & SAT/GPA requirements/ E mails sent and/or returned/where will the coach(s) be recruiting-clinics-showcases etc..
Go to Top of Page

Bombernation

51 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  12:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aj94

quote:
Originally posted by tellit

I just do not expect people to work for free. Nobody cares how good you "think" your kid is. You also could not be more wrong about me, my kid plays for a small park team. I would love for him to play for 643 or the Jackets but his talent is not there, yet!

I got GC stats that proves my son is good, I don't have to lie to kick it like some of y'all do.

Now instead of just talking pull out your checkbook and cut the check and your son can play for any academy team he wants, talent or not.

By that logic, an academy like 6-4-3 would be adding another 8 teams per age group after the 125 families show up for tryouts in each age group prepared to write the check. Oh wait.... they are still sticking to three teams per age group.

Edited by - Bombernation on 07/18/2017 15:33:50
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  12:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

All the teams on the list above are competitive (excluding the very bottom ECB teams). They are the best of the best and hundreds of people will show up at their tryouts. I can only hope you are trolling on your last sentence.

Best of the best? You must not have followed 10u baseball this season or you are a rep for one them.

10u, LOL. If you are upset now about prices and people making a profit you are in for a rude awakening in a few years.

Wrong, I have an adult son now, paid $1600 for his 18u at the time and they beat your $3,000 "academy" teams that season and they went to Florida to play in the Under Armour Tournament and the fee covered that cost as well.

You can keep coming out of pocket and paying big money (or collecting it you seem to be an "academy" affiliate), my son is good so I won't have to do that.

Aj94, you must be one of the lucky ones that found a good team with a good coach outside of an academy with contacts. In my experience those are RARE...unless it's a scout team of some sort and they only cater to the top of the top and aren't available to the general population.

So what does a rising 11th grader who is throwing 84mph do? They aren't elite, but they have the potential. Where else can they go to get their training and get with people with contacts other than an academy?

Yes my situation was not perfect this past season but overall it was good especially when putting the cost factor into it. I tend to see a lot of good non academy type teams in closer to the city of ATL and the southside because those parent(s) don't have a few thousand dollars to spend on baseball fees so organizations and coaches do it for the benefit of the kids not to try turn into a profit for themselves.

Most of these high cost Academy team ECB copycats seem to be out in the far northern suburbs where they know people are willing to pay those high fees.

So point being do some research on non academy teams and you will see there are some good alternatives out there at all age groups.

Edited by - aj94 on 07/18/2017 15:34:20
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  12:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by labaseball2022

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

All the teams on the list above are competitive (excluding the very bottom ECB teams). They are the best of the best and hundreds of people will show up at their tryouts. I can only hope you are trolling on your last sentence.

Best of the best? You must not have followed 10u baseball this season or you are a rep for one them.

10u, LOL. If you are upset now about prices and people making a profit you are in for a rude awakening in a few years.

Wrong, I have an adult son now, paid $1600 for his 18u at the time and they beat your $3,000 "academy" teams that season and they went to Florida to play in the Under Armour Tournament and the fee covered that cost as well.

You can keep coming out of pocket and paying big money (or collecting it you seem to be an "academy" affiliate), my son is good so I won't have to do that.

No offense but you got taken. At 18U, most of the kids on these "elite/academy" teams are playing for free or at a really reduced rate. That is the marketing behind the rest of the teams and how/why the younger ones pay so much.

I did not get taken, I made a type o, I meant to say $1,100 and he went to FL for a week all expenses paid, the team played at cost not to turn a profit.

But yes that is the common "academy" team tactic, find the studs from the local high schools and bring them on to play in Perfect Game and WWBA for free in exchange for claiming the player on their website as one of their MLB draftees or college recruits.

Edited by - aj94 on 07/18/2017 15:34:20
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2017 :  08:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would think these big academies would have more kids in the 1st and 2nd round of the draft, not the case. Guess they figure if they win at the older ages that would attract younger players. It's a win at all cost thing, cause it's good for business. I know 6 kids who played for private clubs who were 1st rounders and all had full ride scholarship offers. Studs will be found and not have to sell themselves.

Edited by - Punishers on 07/19/2017 09:04:01
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2017 :  08:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bombernation

quote:

quote:

I just do not expect people to work for free. Nobody cares how good you "think" your kid is. You also could not be more wrong about me, my kid plays for a small park team. I would love for him to play for 643 or the Jackets but his talent is not there, yet!

I got GC stats that proves my son is good, I don't have to lie to kick it like some of y'all do.

Now instead of just talking pull out your checkbook and cut the check and your son can play for any academy team he wants, talent or not.

By that logic, an academy like 6-4-3 would be adding another 8 teams per age group after the 125 families show up for tryouts in each age group prepared to write the check. Oh wait.... they are still sticking to three teams per age group.

Not enough cats in the feline species to name the rest of teams I guess.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2017 :  09:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NF1974

CaCO3 girl- If I was the parent of a rising 11th grader that threw 84mph and his dream was to keep on playing, then I would invest in personal pitching coaching and look for a team where he could get reps. Secondly, how are his grades? There are a lot of good Academic D-2 and D-3 teams where your son could not only make the team but contribute. If he wants to play in college then i would make a plan and follow it. With my son, we treated it like a project. We identified schools that he was interested in and also could get into and then we made an actual poster of each and taped it to the wall. He filled in the details and we would mark it up as new information came in. It was fun and it also taught him a little bit about Project Management.Things we put on each poster were items like: Head Coach-/ Location/Practice facility/Returning players-especially at his position/GRE & SAT/GPA requirements/ E mails sent and/or returned/where will the coach(s) be recruiting-clinics-showcases etc..

That is really good advice, however, I was using a fictional example, although it could be reality in another year come to think of it. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000