General Discussion
 Coach or Players
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baseballnutz

427 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  12:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son is new to travel ball and he is learning a lot from his new coach and staff. His team has some solid players but a handful aren't very baseball smart or have a difficult time paying attention. I've always believed in having my son play with better or equal talented players to challenge him in practice which will translate to better play in the games. We are committed to the team for the year - but my question is do you stay with a coach you respect and your child enjoys or do you move on to a team that will challenge your child. Thank you.

TMB

80 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  12:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
baseballnutz, very interesting my thoughts are hopefully the coach and the staff will work to improve the players on the team and it wouldn’t hurt to speak with them to find out the direction they are trying to go. Is this a first year team?
Go to Top of Page

baseballnutz

427 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  13:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks TMB, and yes it is a 1st year team. I'm struggling at times watching this group - one problem I will have next season if we decide to make a change is my wife, she loves the staff and the other families on the team but she sees what I'm seeing as well and we don't want to see our son to develop bad habits. He is coming from a very structured team. I think you're right I need to ask about the direction of the team and what the plan is for next year and who knows he may be able to move this team forward.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

ljames

48 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  15:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talking to the coach about the plan for next year may be a little premature as this season has just gotten underway. If you have committed for the entire season a post assessment might be in order. At the end of each season you should always do a post assessment. Some of the questions you should ask are...Has my son improved this season under this coach? This could be fundamental things learned or mental aspects of the game. Did the team improve? As you stated it's tough to watch them now, but by seasons end it could be different. After you have answered these and all questions related to your son's development, you then look at the team. What is the long term plan the coach has for the team? Is he planning to make the team stronger quickly by dropping some of the weaker players and potentially replacing them, or is he more focused on keeping the team together and building long term? How competitive of a schedule does he want to play? How far does he want to travel and how often? What is the goal at the end of the season (World Series, etc.), and where is event held? The list of questions could go on forever, but the answers could ensure you are in the best place. I could be wrong but it sounds as if this may be a newly established team that lacks some structure. This may improve as the season goes on or you may want to look in the future for an established organization that may have more structure in place.

Good luck in the thing we call "Travel Baseball". We love it and I know you will too.
Go to Top of Page

TMB

80 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  22:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ljames, I agree with your points. From experience, I've know parents/players to ask before the season starts so everyone is on one accord going into the season and some things "early" they're blinded too due to the know direction. I really like the assessment questions!
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  00:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are a first year team and it shows when we take the field. We had some great pitching and actually won a game the other day with 14 looking strikeouts...Thats insane and I would never have believed it if somebody else would have told me that. I cannot stand it when a parent questions what we are trying to do as far as positions, pitching, and moving up in the batting order, but if you are frustrated I can almost guarantee the coaches are as well....Ask early and determine if that team is the best for your son, sometimes feelings get hurt but I believe you MUST do the best thing for your son....But that's just my thought
Go to Top of Page

baseballnutz

427 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  09:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses and it is early in the season. I appreciate the questions to ask that were provided and I will use them as the season nears its end to better understand the plan for next year. I've coached in the past and I don't want to be a "problem" parent especially this early.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000