General Discussion
 catcher transfer times
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

treg3

31 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  00:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iam try to seperate transfer from velocity what would be a good time from initial pop to a backstop ten feet away for highschool age. Unless there is a better way to measure transfer. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by - treg3 on 03/03/2010 00:55:20

SSBuckeye

575 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  10:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a catcher up through college, and we were always measured on pop of the mitt to the catch at 2B. The best I ever did was 1.6 seconds. Need to be consistently under 2 seconds to have a shot to throw kids out regularly at a high level. Once you start timing kids, you soon realize that quick hands are more important than a huge arm, though having both is better! I am dating myself, but my recollection back in the day was that Gary Carter and Steve Yeager were both consistently in that 1.5-1.6 range. Yeager could really throw it!
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  11:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1.5-1.6 is unheard of. Anything under 2 is good for D1 college. Brian McCann is about 1.85. My sons best time @ ECB tryout last year was 1.96. Worst time was 2.2.
Go to Top of Page

coachkyle

59 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  12:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by treg3

Iam try to seperate transfer from velocity what would be a good time from initial pop to a backstop ten feet away for highschool age. Unless there is a better way to measure transfer. Any help would be appreciated.

This article might be helpful: http://baseballtips.com/throwtosecond.html
Go to Top of Page

catchingcoach

8 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  16:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Treg3,

The article that coachkyle has referenced was written by me. It can also be found on my website www.catchingcamp.com.

I have been using this method for many years and have found it to be a great tool to judge an individual catchers improvement over time.

The most accurate tool will be digital video at 30 or 60 frames a second. That would allow you to count the frames accurately from the time the ball hit his glove till it actually leaves his hand.

If a high school catcher can consistantly throw 2.2 to the bag, and his pitcher get the ball to the plate in 1.6, you will have a combined tinme of 3.8 seconds. I know every high school kid thinks he runs 3.5 between 1st and 2nd, but that is not the reality.

2.15-2.25 in a game will throw out many HS runners.

Pop times done in a training enviornment or showcase are greatly reduced due to the catchers cheating on the throw.

Any other questions about throwing times let me know.

Coach Weaver
New England Catching Camp
Go to Top of Page

G-Man

326 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  16:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beanball

1.5-1.6 is unheard of. Anything under 2 is good for D1 college. Brian McCann is about 1.85. My sons best time @ ECB tryout last year was 1.96. Worst time was 2.2.

I have to agree. A 1.5 or 1.6 pop time would be compared to a NFL WR running a 4.0 40. The average pop time of major league catchers is 1.90. So a 1.5-1.6 pop time would be unheard of as beanball said.
Go to Top of Page

treg3

31 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  21:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you coachkyle and catching coach that is exactly what i was looking for. catching coach I inquired about your camp while you were down here but the older kids got cancelled. I have a 15 and 17 yr old both catchers sure would like to attend one of your camps. when will you be down in the atlanta area again? thanks again for the drill it will be very helpful

Edited by - treg3 on 03/03/2010 22:27:05
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  21:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
treg3,
It seems that you are not quite looking for the answers you have been given, even though most of us want to give you that answer.

It sounds like you are trying to keep from having to chase balls down in the OF and are trying to turn around and have your C throw into the screen 10 feet away, and still be able to assess him. The hard part is, you can't really get a sense of whether he is getting a good time or not because you aren't seeing the entire process. You are just seeing the release and the first 10 feet of the throw. The one static for either is the pop up and release. For an 80 mph throw with a 2 sec pop time, the popup and first 10 feet would need to be 1.085 seconds. If your C can stay under that they will have a good pop time.
Go to Top of Page

treg3

31 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  01:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iam trying to get a good measurement of transfer, but i was lacking a good baseline. my older son has good velocity but pop times were running high about 2.2 the same as my younger son with not quite as much velocity. the throws are on target just need to work on transfer.
Go to Top of Page

catchingcoach

8 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Treg,

We are in the beginning stages of planning a trip in November to come down again. Be sure you get on my mailing list on my site and you'll get the emails about the trips.

Coach W
Go to Top of Page

SSBuckeye

575 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha! I guess my HS coaches had slow fingers! Hey, I was 18. What did I know? I wish we had the web back in the day, because the person who told me about Yeager and the 1.6 number was very convincing! Not sure I could even Google that to verify. I do know that in college, our coaches we pushing us for consistent sub 2.0 numbers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000