New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

baseballready

188 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  07:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the impending change to USABat standard for youth bats, which tournament hosting organizations (Triple Crown, USSSA, Grand Slam, etc.) will require the new bats?

Most of the member organizations for USA (Little League, Pony, Dixie, Babe Ruth, Cal Ripken, AABC) have little/no activity nearby - at least not north metro Atlanta.

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  08:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem is, those leagues allowed 13 yr olds to swing drop -11 bats on a small field. For tournaments, bat drops should be regulated more and not wait until 13u to say you have to swing a drop -5. There is no reason for 12u to swing a drop -10 in any tournament. They should be swinging a drop -8 minimum. Drop 10's should end at 11u.
Go to Top of Page

Candler7

3 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  09:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Punishers. My son at end of 11U Spring transitioned to drop 8, used CF Zen -8 Fall 12U and a few tourneys in spring 12U until the darn thing cracked like so many other Demarinis. At that point we decided to transition to -5 for rest of 12U and it wasn't bad. Just took a little practice to get used to. And my kid is not a big kid. So now he is just starting Fall 13U and is hitting very good with the -5. But my question goes along with the OP, I don't know if this USSSA stamped -5 will be legal or not come Jan 1, 2018?? So I just ordered a LS 618 Solo BBCOR and we'll make that transition, ha.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  12:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd bet that PG/TC/USSSA/GS will all stick with the 1.15 BPF rating.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  13:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know of, the USSSA 1.15BPF will still be allowed for tournaments for 2018+. USSSA and bat mfg's have way too much money tied into it to let it go that easy. The USA Bat standard is only affecting those listed leagues. Although I'm sure the tournaments will allow the USA Bats in play since they are supposed to have wood like performance and no drop limitation. I'm just curious to find out how they will be made without sacrificing the drop weight. The only way I know to deaden aluminum or any hollow structure is with a heavy coating of a substance or discs inside or add more material to the walls. Either way will still add more weight. Hard to swallow paying $350 for a new USA bat when a $75 piece of wood would yield better results. Plus I would not cringe when it cracks or breaks. Not that much.

Edited by - Punishers on 08/11/2017 14:23:02
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  01:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is copied and pasted from the Easton Site......Basic what you need to know about this issue.......good gracious

NEW YOUTH USA BAT STANDARD
You may have heard about a new USA Baseball Bat Standard (USABat) that will take effect January 1, 2018. As the #1 brand in youth baseball, we want to help answer any questions you may have about this new rule change.

Here's what you need to know:

For starters, the rule change does NOT go into effect until January 1, 2018, so all current youth baseball bats, which are marked with a 1.15BPF stamp, will continue to be legal in Little LeagueŽ, Babe Ruth & Cal Ripken, PONY, Dixie and AABC through December 31st, 2017.

On January 1, 2018 USA Baseball will be implementing a rule change to the bats. If you are 14 years old or younger and play Little LeagueŽ, Babe Ruth & Cal Ripken, PONY, Dixie or AABC, you will need to use a new bat marked with a new USA Baseball stamp:

The bats currently on the market, which are marked with a 1.15BPF stamp, will no longer be legal for play in these leagues.

USSSA youth baseball will NOT be implementing this rule change to the bats. So if you are 14 years old or younger and you play on a travel ball team, or are playing in a tournament governed by USSSA, you can continue to use the bats marked with the 1.15BPF stamp indefinitely. All current model Easton bats marked with the 1.15BPF stamp will be allowed in USSSA play for all events extending beyond January 1, 2018.

Additionally, beginning on January 1, 2018, under the new USA Baseball rule, all players 14 and under (not including Tee-Ball) will be able to use approved USA Baseball 2-5/8" barrels in Little LeagueŽ, Babe Ruth & Cal Ripken, PONY, Dixie and AABC.

Bats marked with the new USA Baseball stamp will NOT be available for purchase until September 1, 2017.

As we get closer to the start of the 2018 season, we will continue to update this page with additional information, including a helpful bat selector guide, which will easily guide you to the right bat for your league. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are here to help make this transition as easy as possible!

Thank you for your trust in Easton. You can count on us to continue to provide players with the best performing products in the game.

Please contact us with any questions:

Easton Customer Service
1-888-259-1297 (USA)
1-844-436-2292 (OUTSIDE THE USA)
Easton.CustomerService@easton.com

Easton Public Relations
Legal@easton.com

For additional information, please visit: USA Baseball Website

While the above is a good guideline for navigating each associations rule, it is always a good idea to check with your local league to determine which bats are legal for play.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  11:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like anyone travel team playing any tourneys around here dont need to worry about it; if the report is correct.

Aren't most of these Orgs in the more liberal states up North

Not sure but it would not surprise me
Go to Top of Page

JClemente

13 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  15:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This article is straight from the USAbats website.

http://www.usabatbats.com/usabat-bat-standard-2018/
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  16:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These Orgs are in every state. We just don't hear about them cause travel baseball has taken over.
Go to Top of Page

Gapper

64 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  10:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
USSSA to my knowledge is the only one that has said they will not follow USA Bat Standards. Not sure if there has been an official determination yet from Perfect Game or Triple Crown as to what they will follow in the 2018 Spring Season.

I e-mailed someone from Triple Crown, but have yet to hear an answer from them regarding the issue.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  13:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone here has always followed USSSA and never USA. I don't see that changing.
Go to Top of Page

baseballready

188 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  04:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noted that TbS will not require USA Bat specs, but will allow them.
http://www.nwgabaseball.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=88710
Go to Top of Page

Dead Red

9 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  12:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TCS is staying as is as well...

http://www.nwgabaseball.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=88720
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  16:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know too many teams that play is USA Baseball tournaments, but I guess they will require their bats to meet their bat standard. I say kill all this bat nonsense and have everyone swing wood. (Yes, I'm on that wood thing again!) All they are doing is complicating something simple The kids that can hit don't need any help from a bat, as they can hit anyway. Who wants to pay $350 for a bat that mimics wood anyway?
Go to Top of Page

Vandy

36 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  10:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as alloy and composite materials are allowed, the bat prices will remain lofty. Seems kind of funny that you need to spend 350-450 to buy the next hot bat that is supposed to emulate ash or maple. The manufacturers have their hands in this one being a huge source of revenue. In my opinion, a team could effectively buy 3-4 Baumbats of varied length. They are virtually unbreakable lasting team play all year and more for a one time 6-800 total investment. The kids could buy an inexpensive "practice bat" for home and share the team bats on game days. I know this would never happen however I believe it would certainly work. In my opinion, the LS Prime 918 @ $450 is the hottest bat currently on the market. It's a 2018 product and is not USA certified. I wonder if the mfg's are purposely boycotting the new USA rule.
Go to Top of Page

baseballready

188 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  11:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just noticed that Perfect Game will require the new bat standard as of January 1, 2018.
https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=14476
Go to Top of Page

JClemente

13 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  14:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseballready

Just noticed that Perfect Game will require the new bat standard as of January 1, 2018.

Interesting, now let's see how many other organizations adopt the USABat standard
Go to Top of Page

Gapper

64 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  16:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would PG only restrict it to 12u and under when it would leave a gap before the start of BBCOR? That doesn't make much sense unless they are going to require BBCOR for 13u and up.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  19:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JClemente

quote:
Originally posted by baseballready

Interesting, now let's see how many other organizations adopt the USABat standard

Let's see how many of those so called major fair now. This should be good. Have to swing a -5 at 13u for PG anyway. I can see the new classified ads now: Looking for a USA bat wit pop! LOL

Edited by - Punishers on 09/01/2017 21:04:07
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  21:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just looked at the at list and noticed something similar about them.

https://usabat.com/

97% of them are metal. Very few composite.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  21:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gapper

Why would PG only restrict it to 12u and under when it would leave a gap before the start of BBCOR? That doesn't make much sense unless they are going to require BBCOR for 13u and up.

From PG site about 13u bats:

13U: Metal bat. All bats must have a branding, label, or stamp proving BPF 1.15 or BBCOR on it. There is length to weight ratio maximum of -5 (5 ounces). NO WOOD BATS

I wonder if PG will allow 12u and under swing 13u (-5) bats instead of the USA bats?
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  12:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1.15BPF, USAbat, and Wood bat Comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLl5C5FAHHQ&feature=em-subs_digest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEFaGUWTIMA

14yo swinging.

Edited by - Punishers on 09/03/2017 13:28:17
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  22:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting that they won't allow 13 to hit wood? Why Not? And TC and USSSA put out statements that they will NOT follow USA.. Looks like a lot fewer youth teams will play PG as a result...how many bats do you have to buy to satisfy everyone? And why did PG NOT decide EARLIER? AND if they decide to add 13U to the mix can they not just swing BBCOR?

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 09/03/2017 22:56:57
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  15:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

Interesting that they won't allow 13 to hit wood? Why Not? And TC and USSSA put out statements that they will NOT follow USA.. Looks like a lot fewer youth teams will play PG as a result...how many bats do you have to buy to satisfy everyone? And why did PG NOT decide EARLIER? AND if they decide to add 13U to the mix can they not just swing BBCOR?

I'm with you on this. If 12u and below can swing 13u (-5 or BBCOR) bats. I say, let them. Let them swing upper class bats if they want to. No need to buy multiple bats for certain tournaments.
Go to Top of Page

Vandy

36 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  12:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can bet on one thing for certain. If the bean counters at PG get even the slightest intel that teams are not entering tourneys because of bat rules, the rules will open back up. Same if they get pressure from the sponsoring manufacturers like Wilson, ie Louisville Slugger and Demarini. Crazy that the perceived standard is wood yet you cannot use the real deal.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  08:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vandy

You can bet on one thing for certain. If the bean counters at PG get even the slightest intel that teams are not entering tourneys because of bat rules, the rules will open back up. Same if they get pressure from the sponsoring manufacturers like Wilson, ie Louisville Slugger and Demarini. Crazy that the perceived standard is wood yet you cannot use the real deal.

My thoughts exactly. Watch the lack of teams register this spring, and see it open back up. T/C will be turning teams away at this pace.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000