General Discussion
 Can anyone recommend a good OF coach
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

15UBaseball

27 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  15:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see recommendations for hitting and pitching coaches, can anyone recommend a really really good outfield coach for older senior in HS?
Colleges are wanting him to move from infield to OF.

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  08:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what there is to coach....hit him a million balls and have him practice which paths work best for him? Then throw in as fast and accurate as he can?
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  12:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's actually quite a bit to learn. At 8u, not so much more than CaCo's recommendation, but as you get older . . . Jumps, read, angles, double cuts, communication, footwork, throwing, etc., etc., are all different beasts that differ from playing an IF position.

I'd recommend that you reach out to an organization such as 643 and get with one of the coaches that played MiLB OF or College OF and can get you some sessions on specific OF work and drills. I know they have coaches with that resume. Possibly check with Homeplate organization as well. Team Elite may also be able to get you setup with some good instruction. This gives you a Cobb area and a North and South OTP option to consider.
Go to Top of Page

SPBA_Wildcats-White

118 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  14:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rashad Brown from the Tigers organization. He lives in Atlanta and does lessons.
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  15:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

I'm not sure what there is to coach....hit him a million balls and have him practice which paths work best for him? Then throw in as fast and accurate as he can?

"And you want to be my latex salesman"

Go to Top of Page

gloveside2

138 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  08:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outfielders at every level after a certain age need coaches or can learn from them. YOu think pro guys never are coached? We had a clemson grad really help our kids. Note. They also run bases and hit.

1. how to drop step
2. sun/wind battles
3. how do approach ball with men on base vs empty
4. how to pick a ball up that is sitting at the fence..yes there is a way
5. when a ball is bouncing on the grass do you count bounces?
6. pivot throws
7. all in throws
i could go on but some would not grasp how deep the knowledge and skill is that it requires.
Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

211 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  10:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's an outfielder? I didn't pay the academy $5,000 to play outfield??

8.) Wood bat hook/slice/fade vs metal bat
9.) 2 steps in equals more steps than I can count wrong.
10.) Counting clover leafs is not ready to compete every pitch.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  08:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tellit

quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

"And you want to be my latex salesman"

Nope, don't want to sell anyone anything :- ) I think that is my glitch with coaches.

Seriously a senior who has played baseball for most of his life doesn't know most of that stuff? We arne't talking about dropping a kid on the field who has NEVER played, we are talking about converting an IF to an OF.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  08:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good bit or difference between outfield and infield is reps off a bat. Sometimes they move pro guys from infield to outfield and it takes them awhile to adjust. So wouldn't you think if a pro player who has played baseball most of his life would be able to adjust on a fly. Some can never make the adjustment. I agree a program like 643 really goes into detail about outfield play although I have no experience with other programs and their outfield I am sure there are some good ones or try and find a guy that played outfield in the minor leagues and have him work with him.
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  11:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son's coach works on the outfielders finding the fence then looking back for the ball, proper crow hop mechanics, how to make sure your head is not bouncing all over the place when sprinting for a fly ball, how to shield the sun using your glove, how to catch it on your throwing side when you have to get rid of the ball quick. Like everything else, the more you do yourself on the side the better you will be.

Go to Top of Page

15UBaseball

27 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  12:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those sound like drills for younger kids how old is your son's team?
Go to Top of Page

prestont

197 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  17:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenny James or Wes Rynders. Both are excellent.

15U - what part of town do ya live in?

Edited by - prestont on 12/10/2017 18:15:53
Go to Top of Page

nastycurve

244 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  10:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moving from IF to OF is a lot easier than moving from OF to IF. Understanding angles, listening for instruction of where to throw, Throwing through the cut are beginning of being an outfielder.

Here is a link to a video my sons college did for their outfielders a couple years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSG2VRJuVZQ

It might give him some more understanding of the knowledge hell need to play OF in college. I think its based off a power point so you will need to pause it some in the beginning.

Drop me an email if you need someone to train him to be an outfielder, Ive got a great guy. His pricing is great and he actually cares about the kids he works with and gets them better.
Go to Top of Page

holly19

17 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  11:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to find an agility coach that specializes in baseball agilities, heck any agility really. Footwork and the ability to read the ball off the bat, so one is agility and the other is repetitive work. Then there is situational too...but I'm guessing as a senior you're wanting to develop better footwork and read more than situational stuff. Find an agility coach, that'd be my suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

BlueDevilBaseball

68 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  15:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s ok to throw behind the runner.
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  09:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ric Bishop @ 643 is the best outfield coach around.

Edited by - Shut Out on 01/04/2018 10:01:21
Go to Top of Page

Andrewdixon64

4 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My name is Andrew Dixon played outfield for the Giants and Brewers stole alot of bases I also do lessons for outfield and hitting and running 3522865125
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000