Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bbmom2

119 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  19:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spike

So if the parents evaluation of the coach fails in high school you are going to knock the kid out of playing, same in college since mom dont agree with coach no scholarship? REALLY??? Life is not fair and you may eventually have to actually work for someone you dont approve of. I think its good for a kid to be in a less than perfect situation builds character. If you cant teach kids life lessons before 12 statistics show they become very difficult to reach. Give the kid some credit they are smarter then we think. alot better to learn now then when they are of age-penalties are alot stiffer then.

So, Spike. Taking the post totally out of context - I did NOT say anything about high school. This post is about how parents react in travel ball and how the coaches perceive parents at high school. I said that tryouts are for parents to evaluate coaches AS WELL since we have a choice. At least we do have several choices since we happen to have a "wanted" older ball player that was not a wanted player 5 inches and 50 pounds ago. We've watched him develop, we knew we were probably moving on this year so we started watching how coaches interacted with players, how they handled themselves on the ball field, what kind of discipline the players showed (how did they handle strikeouts, did they hustle to first base on an obvious throwout, did they throw temper tantrums if things didn't go their way,) how did they take losses as well as how well did they win. We have a choice in this with travel ball. In high school we do not. I am not a brat mom that has to have things her son's way or it's the highway. We don't complain - we stay with a team through thick and thin. We don't team jump. We invest not only our money but our time to do the things parents should do as part of a travel team (how many times have you stayed to make sure your team cleaned up their dugout, how many times have you volunteered to go above and beyond?)

Don't presume that I am going to take my ball and go home if I don't like what I see. But we will do our due diligence, we will ask questions and expect answers (and "I don't know" is an acceptable answer when appropriate) then we make the decision by being honest and fair to the coaches our son has tried out with.

What this teaches our son is how to make a difficult decision and how you must live with the consequences of that decision - at least for the next year. Teaching responsibility is darn hard nowadays and it's the least we can do as parents. Provided abuse is not there, we stay because it's the right thing to do for a team we committed to.

And... it happens we like the high school coach very much....!
Go to Top of Page

spike

41 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  21:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bballmom... Great post so glad you are not one of those parents..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000