General Discussion
 Trophies vs tourney fee refund
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TbS

278 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  10:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are offering some events at East Cobb this spring that will give the winners of the event a FULL REFUND instead of trophies. If we get enough teams, we will also award the 2nd place team a partial refund instead of trophies. This is really big out west so I thought we'd try it here in Georgia.

My question is simple, do you think it will work here in the east or would you rather have trophies?

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  13:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most kids don’t need another trophy. I think most coaches and parents would prefer the refund.
Go to Top of Page

baseballready

188 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  14:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Show me the money!
As a parent of an older player, refund.
Maybe the little guys are still interested in the hardware, but I would rather have the cash back.
Go to Top of Page

TaxiMom

149 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  15:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed that as the kids get older, they don't care about trophies so much.......might even play better if we gave the kids some of the refund as a prize for winning!
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  09:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say 13 and up, refund, but leave the hardware for the littler guys.

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 02/03/2018 09:20:26
Go to Top of Page

BaseballMom6

233 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  21:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say be very familiar with NCAA regulations regarding giving players money. I don't know exactly how those regulations are written, but as much as I as a parent would love the money, I wouldn't want to jeopardize a player's college opportunity.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  07:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hshuler

Most kids don’t need another trophy. I think most coaches and parents would prefer the refund.

^^^This
Go to Top of Page

tbaillie2

120 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  13:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you are handing cash to a player it is fine....lol.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  07:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaseballMom6

I would say be very familiar with NCAA regulations regarding giving players money. I don't know exactly how those regulations are written, but as much as I as a parent would love the money, I wouldn't want to jeopardize a player's college opportunity.

I thought of the same thing. Not sure of the exact rules but may be best to do it the way PG does. If you win, you get a paid second tourney, but not a refund on the first.

My 10th grader has a wardrobe huge box of trophies, he does nothing with them. He does on occasion wear the TC shirts, and has the rings and medallions up on his dresser, but the trophies aren't even displayed. So I vote no on the trophies as well.
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  08:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The kids dont pay for the tournaments.....how would they get money back?
Go to Top of Page

BusterO

20 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  09:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
100% for the refund and let the Coaches use the $4-500 to take the team out to eat, grab a milkshake, etc. Those were some of the best memories anyway..spending time with your teammates covered in dirt being a teenager...NOT who lined up on the baseline to shake hands with a complete stranger who hands you a plastic trophy...Great suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  21:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m pretty sure that he’s not talking about lining the kids up and giving them their share of the $750 entry fee. I think what he’s talking about is giving the coach/team a $750 refund. Then the coach/team can decide what to do with it.

Last I checked, kids aren’t paying their team fees. So, maybe line up the parents and give them the refund. :-)
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  08:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hshuler

... So, maybe line up the parents and give them the refund. :-)

That's it! I'd love to see that! HA.

I think the refund is a great idea, IF the team sees benefit. Unfortunately, plenty of 'cooked books' in travel baseball, that some would just see this as an opportunity for 'bonuses' or another "Coach's Dinner" (paid for by the team).
Go to Top of Page

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  09:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think that would be awesome to see myself. It would probably make the games better because it would give incentive to play harder.
Go to Top of Page

TbS

278 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  13:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the input. Overall, it seems like most people like the idea of a tournament refund instead of trophies......now I just have to figure out how to get teams to sign up and register.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000