Page: of 2

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  13:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turntwo

quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

No guarantee that paid coaches equal unbiased coaching either. The world of behind the scenes deals and goodies for the coaches is alive and well there too.

Truer words have never been spoken!!!! "Cookies for coach", or brownies every Sunday! Or out and out payments, or the always popular hundreds or thousands of dollars spent on 'lessons' with the coach to better their playing time. It's comical.

Seen that before. Kid had no business on the team let alone in any field position. All because dad was stupid enough to cut the check for useless training and kid is still the same years later while everyone else has passed him.
Go to Top of Page

Newbie BB Mom

141 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  08:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Or out and out payments, or the always popular hundreds or thousands of dollars spent on 'lessons' with the coach to better their playing time. It's comical.

This actually does happen! I was amazed when I started hearing about it. When you see paid coaches who also offer lessons outside of the team, be wary. This can often be a pay to play situation, especially if the coaches don't seem to have a solid day job to support themselves.
Go to Top of Page

Harry.Doyle

8 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  09:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our family is relatively new to the travel ball scene, so I appreciate the discussion here.

But we were talked into my son being a pickup player last fall for an 'injuried' kid on a team. Needless to say the 'injuried' kid never sat and my son played every inning except for 1. I felt dirty and said then we would never be a pickup player or play for a team that would do that. When spring rolled around and that team invited my son for a tryout, we politely declined.

I wish the adults would act with a bit more integrity and set positive examples for our young men to follow.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  10:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harry.Doyle

Our family is relatively new to the travel ball scene, so I appreciate the discussion here.

But we were talked into my son being a pickup player last fall for an 'injuried' kid on a team. Needless to say the 'injuried' kid never sat and my son played every inning except for 1. I felt dirty and said then we would never be a pickup player or play for a team that would do that. When spring rolled around and that team invited my son for a tryout, we politely declined.

I wish the adults would act with a bit more integrity and set positive examples for our young men to follow.

You meant the injured kid sat? Correct?
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  11:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This actually does happen! I was amazed when I started hearing about it. When you see paid coaches who also offer lessons outside of the team, be wary. This can often be a pay to play situation, especially if the coaches don't seem to have a solid day job to support themselves.
[/quote]

IMO its ok to take lessons from someone in your organization, but it should NOT be your individual coach. Not only does that often produce pay to play situations, but it also provides perfect opportunities for those "private" little chats you may not be able to have otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  11:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that close to 100% of coaches give lessons; especially, in an organization and if the head coach doesn't, then another coach in the organization does. With out a doubt, this can and probably does lead to playing time. Some kids get 2 to 3 lessons a week and that's $100 to $150 a week for the coach/organization.
Go to Top of Page

Harry.Doyle

8 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  11:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

quote:
Originally posted by Harry.Doyle

You meant the injured kid sat? Correct?

Nope, the 'injured' kid never sat, but the other kids on the team. I'm thinking they didn't have an injury and was using that story to garner sympathy. Of course the injured kid was one of the coaches kids, so go figure.
Go to Top of Page

Newbie BB Mom

141 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  09:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

IMO its ok to take lessons from someone in your organization, but it should NOT be your individual coach. Not only does that often produce pay to play situations, but it also provides perfect opportunities for those "private" little chats you may not be able to have otherwise.

I'm not passing judgment on families who pay their son's coach for private lessons (although we've never done it), I'm just pointing out that it can set up pay to play situations (or the appearance of them when they don't actually exist). And, I wasn't really thinking of the larger, well-known organizations, even though I think it is possible for pay to play to happen there, too. The situations I'm aware of were at newer, two or three man operations that were trying to grow into bigger organizations. If you're looking at an organization like that and the coaches don't seem to have any other sources of income, be careful. Ask around. Look at past rosters. Do some homework with past team members. The list of people working in travel ball in Georgia who can pay the bills that way is very short.
Go to Top of Page

tellit

97 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  11:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newbie BB Mom

quote:

I'm not passing judgment on families who pay their son's coach for private lessons (although we've never done it), I'm just pointing out that it can set up pay to play situations (or the appearance of them when they don't actually exist). And, I wasn't really thinking of the larger, well-known organizations, even though I think it is possible for pay to play to happen there, too. The situations I'm aware of were at newer, two or three man operations that were trying to grow into bigger organizations. If you're looking at an organization like that and the coaches don't seem to have any other sources of income, be careful. Ask around. Look at past rosters. Do some homework with past team members. The list of people working in travel ball in Georgia who can pay the bills that way is very short.

Dilly Dilly.
Go to Top of Page

SuperStar

257 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  14:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tellit

quote:

quote:

Dilly Dilly.

What does Dilly Dilly mean? Is this some form of private code for going to the Dairy Queen afterwards? LOl!

All kidding aside, Newbie BB Mom has a point. This definitely does exist. But, it's kind of hidden in real life. You know the same way the "Code Red" was hidden in the movie A Few Good Men. You couldn't trace it on paper, but it was real.

Edited by - SuperStar on 02/12/2018 15:01:25
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  16:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...I'm just pointing out that it can set up pay to play situations (or the appearance of them when they don't actually exist). And, I wasn't really thinking of the larger, well-known organizations, even though I think it is possible for pay to play to happen there, too. The situations I'm aware of were at newer, two or three man operations that were trying to grow into bigger organizations...

You have to think, what better business model than an instructor who also has a team... How would a business run if someone pays you for results, you slowly get improvement with the continued sales pitch of "just a few more lessons, and he'll be there-- he's a STUD already, but I can make him a super-STUD", (or the comments about his current coach-- "Really? He isn't the ace pitcher, 3-hole hitter, and primary SS? Your coach must be crazy!!!")only when it comes time to make your team you cut him because he isn't good enough... Isn't that hypocritical of what you sold the parents on this whole time to continue your income? How good he is, how great you are in developing him? You have to keep the ruse up, to keep the income flow-- even if he's not up to par as the rest of the team.

OR, maybe I'm missing something. I've seen this in big and small/newer orgs alike. Kids of average ability start getting lessons from 'xyz' in March/April, and then end up on 'xyz's' team the next year, that's full of otherwise stud players.

Edited by - turntwo on 02/12/2018 16:29:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000