New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  12:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would be the "Good kids"? Would that be the D1 players? The 2.1% of all high school players that will go on to play D1 baseball. If that were the case, you may have trouble filling a tournament. My son plays on one of the top teams in the country and I can say without a doubt, they would rather face a kid throwing 90+ than one throwing 70. I've seen the "good kids" heading back to the dugout in disgust after facing that "any kid" throwing 70-80.

I believe it is common sense, until these kids are developed (at least STARTING puberty), they need all the help they can get. We know college players are being helped by a juiced ball, most would say the same for MLB, but for the youngest and weakest players let's make them play the game the way it is meant to be played. That, to me, makes absolutely no sense.

Edited by - bama21 on 03/28/2018 14:38:17
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  15:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chet

30 years ago there weren’t the alternatives for kids? Have you seen an early rec kid pitch game? I’m a big fan of wood for travel or big fields, I just don’t see the problem that is being “fixed”. Truly top players stand out regardless of the bat if you know what you are looking for.

I’ll also reiterate that IMO the USA bats are worse that wood, bigger barrel for contact but less of a reward when you do barrel a ball as opposed to a wood bat.

Agreed that USA bats are worse than wood. They are too stiff and have rebound dampening built in them. Ash or Maple have more rebound than USA bats. Nothing built in. If there was a real wood shortage as some claim, wood bats would cost just as much or more than the alloy or composite bats because of the economics of supply and demand.
Go to Top of Page

RUSemiPro

95 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  13:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

quote:
Originally posted by Chet

30 years ago there weren’t the alternatives for kids? Have you seen an early rec kid pitch game? I’m a big fan of wood for travel or big fields, I just don’t see the problem that is being “fixed”. Truly top players stand out regardless of the bat if you know what you are looking for.

I’ll also reiterate that IMO the USA bats are worse that wood, bigger barrel for contact but less of a reward when you do barrel a ball as opposed to a wood bat.

Agreed that USA bats are worse than wood. They are too stiff and have rebound dampening built in them. Ash or Maple have more rebound than USA bats. Nothing built in. If there was a real wood shortage as some claim, wood bats would cost just as much or more than the alloy or composite bats because of the economics of supply and demand.

My son is 12u and we are doing a PG tourney in a few weeks, instead of wasting money on a garbage USA Bat, I am strongly considering have him use wood in the games. I actually think Wood has better pop WHEN he squares it up properly. If your player can learn to hit with wood and handle the weight (drop 3 or 5) vs drop 10 for USA bat I think wood may be the better choice. Other than the weights the USA bats have a larger sweet spot to help on mis-hit balls. Proof will be on the field in a few weeks...

Our coach is also doing a wood bat tourney, and I cannot wait. I think this is the great equalizer when everyone is on a level playing field with just wood it will be interesting to see the results.
Go to Top of Page

SamQuick

75 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  22:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i] Ash or Maple have more rebound than USA bats. Nothing built in. If there was a real wood shortage as some claim, wood bats would cost just as much or more than the alloy or composite bats because of the economics of supply and demand.

Ash have been hit by an invasive insect - Emerald Ash Borer. Even so, you can still get KD blanks from Amazon for 25-30 dollars, ash or maple.
Go to Top of Page

SamQuick

75 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  22:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i] Ash or Maple have more rebound than USA bats. Nothing built in. If there was a real wood shortage as some claim, wood bats would cost just as much or more than the alloy or composite bats because of the economics of supply and demand.

Ash have been hit by an invasive insect - Emerald Ash Borer. Even so, you can still get KD blanks from Amazon for 25-30 dollars, ash or maple.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  11:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SamQuick

quote:

No Ash. Go Birch. It gets harder every impact and still has the flex. Good mix between Ash and Maple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000