Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

TaxiMom

149 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2017 :  14:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

At some point, kids need to have it in themselves to make adjustments and play the game the way they were taught. At some point, parents need to let go. If your kid is in HS and still requires you to yell at him to remember what he's supposed to do, that's not a good thing, in my opinion. You are fostering dependence.

And know this, if you are still doing this, everyone is sitting in the stands just cringing. Although, if this is you, you probably don't care, because it's all about you. And whether your kid tells you or not, he is embarrassed. What HS kid wants to be the one with his parent yelling at him all the time? It's humiliating. If you are the one doing this, you'll deny it, but it's true. No one wants to be the kid with "that" dad...

Could not agree with you more.

Instruction happens outside of games. If you're having to instruct your child DURING a game, you're too late. The games are for the KIDS to have FUN (remember, it's a game.....) and put into play what they have learned and honed during practice. Muscle memory and instinct needs to kick in. How many times has a coach told my kid to NOT think during a game, particularly when at the plate? I can't even count. If you're yelling instruction at your kid, then they're going to HAVE to think (assuming they're actually listening to you and not rolling their eyes at you or telling you to be quiet.) That, plus the stress of the embarrassment of having your parent yell at you from the stands, is a recipe for a sub-optimal performance.

You chose the team your child is on for a reason. Presumably, you trust the coaches. Let them coach. Otherwise, find another team with coaches you DO trust. You be the parent -- sit back and watch your kid having a blast on the ball field. That's my favorite part of this whole wild ride!
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2017 :  14:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alot has to do with age as well..younger kids with Dad coaches may need some reminding (I don't see yelling/berating as necessary but reminding). As for older kids, if you are paying a coach to teach your kid then relax and enjoy, don't micromanage. If the kid has a real chance of going to the next level, you are definitely doing more harm than good ..the old "you just never know who's watching." Then again if your kid's the one who still needs reminding he's probably not the one the scouts are there to see.
Go to Top of Page

NF1974

62 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2017 :  15:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting topic and one in which I initially thought why of course, quit yelling at your kid. I don't like it when I hear it and for the most part, i think it does more harm than good. I then took a look at my own behavior and I realize that I yell a lot. I yell what I think are words of encouragment and almost always at the boys on my sons team. My son doesn't play much but that doesn't keep me from yelling. For example on a 3-1 count, I might yell, " something you can drive here kid" or " see it and hit it". If we have multiple runners on base, I might yell the proverbial, " ducks on a pond". On defense, I might yell, " knock it down and make a play". So after reading the Matheny Manifesto( which I googled) he basically wants the parents to not yell anything. In fairness to him, I think he is talking about the younger ages. His thought process is that it puts more pressure on a kid. So I have a question for this forum. When I yell out to one of our players( not my son) on a 3-1 count- " something you can drive here kid", am i putting more pressure on him? My thinking is that I am encouraging him to get a good pitch to drive but really, at his age, he already knows this. Maybe I need to stop my yelling? Now that I think about it, my yelling involves the future and is not about the past. Maybe I just answered my own question....
Go to Top of Page

BamaDad

188 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2017 :  15:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VV THIS VV
Everyone's situation is different because our son's are different and our respective teaching/training relationships may be different as well. My son will admit that I have snapped him back into focusing on his mechanics at the plate. I don't "yell" for swinging at a bad pitch because he already knows when he did. However, I yell for him to utilize the proper tactics and mechanics at the plate. When he does that, he doesn't swing at those same pitches because his focus is different. There is no unanimous way to handle our kids. Let's agree that we disagree here without almost calling names.
quote:
Originally posted by oldschool22

I am one who is "guilty" of yelling at my son during games on occasion. I have poured in thousands of hours of one-on-one time on practice fields and my son is highly advanced as a result. He is a smaller player and has achieved his standing in the game through his fundamental soundness and attention to details.

I have an awesome relationship with my boy and he understands that my passionate instruction is an integral part of his development. There have been times where he has lost focus in games and I've been there to remind him of the standard. Never once have I interfered with his coaches. But at the end of the day, I know him better than anyone. He has stated to me his long-term goals and I work with him to achieve them. Once in a while that entails some intense instruction which, from a distance, constitutes yelling. I guess the optics may be bad regardingmparents who yell at their child during games, but there may be underlying reasons not fully understandable to those passing judgment.

Edited by - BamaDad on 07/19/2017 16:10:06
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2017 :  17:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get your point across without stepping on the coaches toes or embarrassing your son. And yes, as your son gets older; obviously, less needs to be said. There is no one way to raise your son, what works for you, may not work for me.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2017 :  21:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NF1974 that kind of yelling we all do...yelling words of encouragement to the whole team is the kind of yelling we can all agree on. "See it and hit it" and so forth. There is a clear line between that and the guy or gal who's constantly hovering with the step by step commands at the plate or the loud "Come on son! Jeesh, throw a dang strike!" when their son walks a batter. THAT is what makes us all cringe, as if son is doing his best to throw only balls. To insert a bit of humor refer to Domingo Ayala..."Bleacher Coaches."
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  07:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NF1974

This is an interesting topic and one in which I initially thought why of course, quit yelling at your kid. I don't like it when I hear it and for the most part, i think it does more harm than good. I then took a look at my own behavior and I realize that I yell a lot. I yell what I think are words of encouragment and almost always at the boys on my sons team. My son doesn't play much but that doesn't keep me from yelling. For example on a 3-1 count, I might yell, " something you can drive here kid" or " see it and hit it". If we have multiple runners on base, I might yell the proverbial, " ducks on a pond". On defense, I might yell, " knock it down and make a play". So after reading the Matheny Manifesto( which I googled) he basically wants the parents to not yell anything. In fairness to him, I think he is talking about the younger ages. His thought process is that it puts more pressure on a kid. So I have a question for this forum. When I yell out to one of our players( not my son) on a 3-1 count- " something you can drive here kid", am i putting more pressure on him? My thinking is that I am encouraging him to get a good pitch to drive but really, at his age, he already knows this. Maybe I need to stop my yelling? Now that I think about it, my yelling involves the future and is not about the past. Maybe I just answered my own question....

Everyone IS different. I will say that for me, I don't yell...not at anyone. If there is a good hit or catch I will clap my hands and give a WAHHHH yell, but there is no advice given. I actually cringe when parents give out advice. My son played a pick up game last weekend on a AA/AAA team and the parents were ALL about the extra advice. Hit the bottom half of the ball, protect the plate, you got two now, see that hole in Left, drive through it, That wasn't you, You've seen it now, see it-hit it, stop aiming and just pitch...etc.

I heard more "advice" this weekend at AA/AAA than I did the entire season of Majors. This to me tells me a lot.
Go to Top of Page

GARED

9 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  09:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting feed. IMO there is a difference between yelling and cheering. Cheering is words of encouragement and to get the team (it is a team sport remember) pumped up and excited. There can be excessive cheering that is just down right obnoxious. I.E. When you disagree with the ump's call and you scream "That's ok Johnny that was a strike the ump is blind."
Yelling at your child or other players for that matter when they make an error or swing at a bad pitch or even having an off day on the mound is really non-productive and reflects poorly on you as a parent. If these kids have been playing travel ball for several years they KNOW when they have made an error. They don't need an adult outside of their coach reminding them. Do YOU as an adult like to be called out for your mistakes? I suspect not.
My son has been blessed to work with a professional pitching coach for many years. And one of the best lessons he taught my son and us as his parents is coaches (college) and scouts not only watch the player, his ability AND his behavior but they will make a point to find the parents in the stands and watch THEIR behavior. If they see a parent who is too vocal a lot of times this will impact their decision on recruiting a player. No one wants to deal with a problem parent.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  10:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

NF1974 that kind of yelling we all do...yelling words of encouragement to the whole team is the kind of yelling we can all agree on. "See it and hit it" and so forth. There is a clear line between that and the guy or gal who's constantly hovering with the step by step commands at the plate or the loud "Come on son! Jeesh, throw a dang strike!" when their son walks a batter. THAT is what makes us all cringe, as if son is doing his best to throw only balls. To insert a bit of humor refer to Domingo Ayala..."Bleacher Coaches."

So "What" you yell is the difference? I tend to agree. Thinking correctly is absolutely the most important element for performing well at any sport. Some call it mental toughness, but its all mental, ask Yogi. If you need to yell, yell a "Do", not a "Don't" and NEVER refer to a past mistake.

I used to think maybe I was "That guy", cause I yell at ALL the kids However, I would NEVER, say anything about what just happened, nothing negative, never. And I too have seen the guy and/or girl going way overboard and all I can think is Daaaaang.

As far as going "by this Age", I totally disagree. I think a better distinction would be stage of development. Many of the parents on this forum have Major level players on major level teams with major level Coaches. With all that, I would think there should be very little to say, ever. But many of the parents on here have kids on teams with far less than Major level players, coaches etc..... Age has nothing to do with it IMHO
Go to Top of Page

mikepayne

173 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  10:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:
Originally posted by NF1974

Everyone IS different. I will say that for me, I don't yell...not at anyone. If there is a good hit or catch I will clap my hands and give a WAHHHH yell, but there is no advice given. I actually cringe when parents give out advice. My son played a pick up game last weekend on a AA/AAA team and the parents were ALL about the extra advice. Hit the bottom half of the ball, protect the plate, you got two now, see that hole in Left, drive through it, That wasn't you, You've seen it now, see it-hit it, stop aiming and just pitch...etc.

I heard more "advice" this weekend at AA/AAA than I did the entire season of Majors. This to me tells me a lot.

Exactly.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  10:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfriendly

quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

So "What" you yell is the difference? I tend to agree. Thinking correctly is absolutely the most important element for performing well at any sport. Some call it mental toughness, but its all mental, ask Yogi. If you need to yell, yell a "Do", not a "Don't" and NEVER refer to a past mistake.

I used to think maybe I was "That guy", cause I yell at ALL the kids However, I would NEVER, say anything about what just happened, nothing negative, never. And I too have seen the guy and/or girl going way overboard and all I can think is Daaaaang.

As far as going "by this Age", I totally disagree. I think a better distinction would be stage of development. Many of the parents on this forum have Major level players on major level teams with major level Coaches. With all that, I would think there should be very little to say, ever. But many of the parents on here have kids on teams with far less than Major level players, coaches etc..... Age has nothing to do with it IMHO

Right. Most if not all Major level teams with paid coaches, the less you hear from the parents in the stands. Just cheering. You hear more instruction on dad coached teams at the AA/AAA level. I can understand it. It's not like they have baseball blood in them.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  10:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^^^level of development vs age...I agree...I mainly believe, however, by high school, if you're still in it, parents need to have zero input during game time. What you do outside the field is your business. These are young men now who should have figured out their game by now. 14 and under they still do vary greatly in skill level, I agree. Another point on the nasty "yellers"... this impacts the whole team, not just your kid. The boys cringe for their teammates as much as the parents in the stands. I can't say how many times my son has said after a game "Did you hear so and so's Dad? I feel so sorry for him!"
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  12:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess most everyone assumes, from reading the posts, that if you play on a top team, then the coach should handle everything. Well I disagree, how can he, he has 20 other players to deal with. He has no clue what my son and I have been working on and trying to correct/improve. The summer schedule is brutal, very little time for practices (If any at all), once you start playing. Also, it's all about performance, if you don't perform, you don't play. There are 10 kids on the bench, most of them committed to D1's as well waiting to take your spot. If by the second game that day, waiting for hours between games or delays, my son needs reminded of something he's been working on, he's getting reminded. When he gets to college and the coaches see him everyday and know what he's working on/trying to fix, then that's different. A baseball player is always working on something, always tinkering; especially, with their swing.
As far as age/vs level of development, to me it's more about maturity and nothing to do with age. You can have a 18 yr. old act 12 and a 12 yr. old act 18.
Go to Top of Page

Around_the_Horn

31 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  13:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometime when you are over at East Cobb, go from the lower fields to the upper fields, or vice versa. Every time I do this, on the lower fields there is tons of 'Energy'. Up on the upper fields it is like you have walked onto a PGA golf course. You feel like you need to whisper. I think that it is correlated to both age and playing level. If you have confidence in your player they will have confidence. If you don't, your player will absolutely know that you do not have confidence in them.

If you really want to help your player to improve, and also magically improve your relationship, work 1-on-1 with them. Are they needing to work on the inside pitch? Dad/Mom should go throw a bunch of inside pitches to them. If they need to work on painting the outside corner of the plate, Dad/Mom should go sit on a bucket and catch a bunch of pitches.

Every tournament there are a lot of parents giving(yelling) advice. Go to the fields or batting cages on a non-practice evening and you will not have problem of finding space to practice.

You want to give (yell) advice to your player during a game, cool. I'm good with that. Just remember that we all eventually reap what we sow.

Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

211 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  13:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the perfect solution for not yelling instructions at your kid midgame.

Text the given message silently out in real time. They pay more attention to texts after the game anyway when they check their phone.

See problem solved. Message delivered. Don't like the message I sent, give me your phone or pay the bill yourself.

Cookies and cream all around.
Go to Top of Page

bama21

278 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  14:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you work with your son, like I'm sure most of us do. You know his swing better than he does. So, if you are watching and you see him not doing something correctly, what do you do? Should I say something, should I not? It's a simple fix, a couple words spoken and voilą, it is corrected. Will the coach get mad, what will the other parents say, are there scouts watching? Maybe you should continue to let him fail because he is old enough now to know better, why is he still doing that, we worked on it...why isn't his coach saying something?
Well, we've all been there, if not, you will be. I choose to say something, it could be the difference between hitting a homerun or striking out. Again, in moderation and with tact, there is nothing wrong with speaking up.
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  14:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Crazyforbball

NF1974 that kind of yelling we all do...yelling words of encouragement to the whole team is the kind of yelling we can all agree on. "See it and hit it" and so forth. There is a clear line between that and the guy or gal who's constantly hovering with the step by step commands at the plate or the loud "Come on son! Jeesh, throw a dang strike!" when their son walks a batter. THAT is what makes us all cringe, as if son is doing his best to throw only balls. To insert a bit of humor refer to Domingo Ayala..."Bleacher Coaches

Right. Most if not all Major level teams with paid coaches, the less you hear from the parents in the stands. Just cheering. You hear more instruction on dad coached teams at the AA/AAA level. I can understand it. It's not like they have baseball blood in them.

It seems like all the lower teams always have that one dad that cant help himself and feels the need to give batting advice to not only his kid but every kid on the team while they are at the plate. NOT HELPFUL. Then every play he has something to say. It is even worse when he complains about other kids. If you are going to complain, feel free to just criticize your own kid. I k ow coaches who are the same. Screaming at them for getting caught stealing! Ummm I don't think you played baseball beyond little league. It is always those dad and coaches with no significant baseball background who are the worst. They have no idea how hard this sport is to play.

Why don't YOU go and pitch or hit the ball at 80mph!
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  15:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bama..key words "moderation and tact."
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  15:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bravemom

quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Crazyforbball

NF1974 that kind of yelling we all do...yelling words of encouragement to the whole team is the kind of yelling we can all agree on. "See it and hit it" and so forth. There is a clear line between that and the guy or gal who's constantly hovering with the step by step commands at the plate or the loud "Come on son! Jeesh, throw a dang strike!" when their son walks a batter. THAT is what makes us all cringe, as if son is doing his best to throw only balls. To insert a bit of humor refer to Domingo Ayala..."Bleacher Coaches

It seems like all the lower teams always have that one dad that cant help himself and feels the need to give batting advice to not only his kid but every kid on the team while they are at the plate. NOT HELPFUL. Then every play he has something to say. It is even worse when he complains about other kids. If you are going to complain, feel free to just criticize your own kid. I k ow coaches who are the same. Screaming at them for getting caught stealing! Ummm I don't think you played baseball beyond little league. It is always those dad and coaches with no significant baseball background who are the worst. They have no idea how hard this sport is to play.

Why don't YOU go and pitch or hit the ball at 80mph!

Beyond LL? Most if all have never played at all. I say let them have their moment, it's short lived when the game starts to get seriously competitive.
Go to Top of Page

BamaDad

188 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  17:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
vvvvTHISvvvv
quote:
Originally posted by bama21

If you work with your son, like I'm sure most of us do. You know his swing better than he does. So, if you are watching and you see him not doing something correctly, what do you do? Should I say something, should I not? It's a simple fix, a couple words spoken and voilą, it is corrected. Will the coach get mad, what will the other parents say, are there scouts watching? Maybe you should continue to let him fail because he is old enough now to know better, why is he still doing that, we worked on it...why isn't his coach saying something?
Well, we've all been there, if not, you will be. I choose to say something, it could be the difference between hitting a homerun or striking out. Again, in moderation and with tact, there is nothing wrong with speaking up.

Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  21:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This season I have seen a parent on our team who does not yell but you can hear him. He.is.awesome. His advice is good and spoken with an even and encouraging tone. You'd never notice it if you were walking by but the players can hear him. I wish the coach was more like him. The coach is more like the parents who scream ... personal insults and profanity are thrown in as extras. Maybe that's why none of the parents berate their kids ... we all feel bad for whoever the coach has targeted at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  00:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eh hum, well said sir and I agree.........I have seen my kid load up way to early and struggle, with a lttle "Nice and Smooooooth" comment coming from his dad, he rests the bat on his shoulder til the pitcher gets set. When I see him do that, I have full confidence he will smash it. same thing on the mound. subtle "Keys" that bring feelings that have been worked on. Seems at least a few agree that substance does matter. Regardless, quit yelling at your kid!!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  08:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HUGE difference in yelling out "Your dropping your shoulder", vs, "This isn't GOLF!!!!!"

If what you are saying is short and instructional like "pulling your head out", "dropping your shoulder", "stepping out", "not swinging through", I am fine with that.

If you are saying "You know better", "Come on, what are you doing!?!?!?", "Why would you swing at that", "Get your head in the game", or my personal favorite I have heard "THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE!"...I have a problem with those and their like.

I guess it is WHAT you are saying. If it's truly instructional, and short, that's fine. If it's an opinion, without instruction, based on their performance or the performance of others I wish you would keep your mouth shut.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  09:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheering is different than yelling at your kid. Throwing out a word of encouragement is different than yelling at your kid. Guess this is kind of like porn, you know it when you see it. We have all seen the cringe worthy parent. We know what it is. If you are "that" parent, you probably don't see it.

As in_the_know said, "As the saying goes, there's one in every room. If you walk in the room and can't find the one, it's you...."
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  09:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, I do believe that you should let him strike out rather than hit a homerun in that scenario. Then after the game you can discuss the at bat. He'll learn a hell of a lot more from that than Daddy having to remind him to "see the ball late" every AB. Parents should not be coaching from outside the lines. You can call it whatever you want; reminder, tips, trigger, etc., but you can't deny that it's coaching.

And it's great that you know your tendencies and swing better than the coach. At the youth level, you should, but more importantly, your kid should learn and know his tendencies better than anyone. That comes from having successes and failures on the field.

Get out of your kids head during games and be amazed at what THEY are capable of acheiving.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000